Match Details: Yeovil Town v Bromley
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Bromley

Match Details: 28/09/2019
Yeovil Town 3-1 Bromley
National League

Yeovil Goals: Jimmy Smith (45), Own Goal (72), Charlie Lee (77)

Yeovil Line-Up: 2. Craig Alcock, 3. Carl Dickinson, 4. Lee Collins, 5. Jimmy Smith, 6. Luke Wilkinson, 7. Matt Worthington, 9. Rhys Murphy, 10. Gold Omotayo, 11. Myles Hippolyte, 26. Charlie Lee, 31. Adam Smith
Subs: 8. Lawson D'Ath, 18. Albi Skendi, 19. Tom Bradbury, 24. Remeao Hutton, 28. James Tilley,

Substitutes Used: Lawson D'Ath for Rhys Murphy (7 mins), James Tilley for Matt Worthington (67 mins), Albi Skendi for Jimmy Smith (87 mins)

Bookings: Charlie Lee (Foul, 10), Matt Worthington (Foul, 30), Gold Omotayo (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 59), Luke Wilkinson (Foul, 68), Jimmy Smith (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 79)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town stretched their winning run to seven matches on Saturday afternoon, when they came from behind to dish out Bromley's first defeat of the 2019-20 season. The 3-1 victory came in unusual circumstances, as the match suffered a 19 minute delay within two minutes of the start with Rhys Murphy and Bromley keeper Mark Cousins collided with the latter being stretchered off with a neck brace. The Kent side grabbed the lead when striker Michael Cheek converted from close range from a set piece. Yeovil equalised deep into the injury time period via a Jimmy Smith header. The game was sealed when Bromley defender Marc-Anthony Okoye turned a Craig Alcock cross into his own net, quickly followed by a Charlie Lee header to send Yeovil up into third place, by the end of Saturday's fixtures, and within a point of their opponents.

The Glovers went into the match making one change to their starting line-up. Charlie Lee had recovered from a back injury and so displaced Albi Skendi on the bench, with Olly McCoy dropping off the teamsheet. They came up against a Bromley side that had not lost a match since Good Friday 2019 and were four points clear at the top of the division.

The match started off in an unfortunate way. A poor back header through to Bromley keeper Mark Cousins gave Yeovil striker Rhys Murphy a sniff of a second minute goal. Murphy appeared to get a shove in the back from the erring defender, and as the keeper came out of his area, both Cousins and Murphy collided leaving both out cold on the deck. A delay of 19 minutes followed, with Murphy managing to get to his feet midway through that period, but with Cousins needing medics and a stretcher to remove him from the field, with damaged shoulder ligaments causing the biggest concern.

Murphy was replaced by Lawson D'Ath, with Myles Hippolyte going up front. But the change for Bromley was rather more complex, with Jack Holland coming on as an outfield substitute, leaving outfield player Chris Bush with the unenviable task of having to play 89 minutes between the sticks. Eventually, and with a largely patient crowd realising the seriousness of the injuries involved, play restarted.

The break, and the loss of the Ravens goalkeeper should have suited Yeovil more than it suited Bromley. But instead the opposite happened. Over-fussy referee Aaron Jackson allowed Bromley a chance to take the set piece twice, and on their second attempt, Alfie Doughty found the head of Joe Kizzi, who planted the ball across the face of goal, allowing Michael Cheek to nudge the ball over the line from close range and a 0-1 lead.

The longer the half went on, the more it had to be acknowledged that Bromley deserved their lead. Alfie Doughty's run down their left flank saw him cut inside, with Adam Smith being forced to save with his legs. Then Josh Rees shot wide after Michael Cheek robbed Lee Collins of the ball, playing it back to his teammate but the shot wasn't on target.

At the other end, Yeovil didn't seem to have realised that they had a stand-in keeper to aim at. It took 47 minutes (allowing for the lengthy stoppage) for them to have their first shot of any kind, and it gave them an equalising goal. Substitute Lawson D'Ath put in a peach of a cross from the right hand side, and Jimmy Smith leapt to head past a static keeper to remind his teammates that they should be hitting shots at the goalframe, which they'd failed to do up until that point. 1-1.

During that 19 minutes worth of added time a Matt Worthington drive went wide, whilst Charlie Lee whistled a shot just over the crossbar on the angle, showing Yeovil what they should have been doing before the goal. At the other end, Bromley were still active, with Michael Cheek putting a diving header over the crossbar. In truth, going in level at the break was a bit of a bonus for Yeovil, with Bromley's pressing allowing them little time on the ball and no chance of any creativity.

The second half kicked off at 4.22pm, way behind all the other National League fixtures. Myles Hippolyte had a chance deflected into the arms of Chris Bush, whilst Bromley also had a great opportunity to score when Joe Kizzi made a deep run into the box, getting himself a free header on goal, but planting it into the side netting. Kizzi was later lucky to still be on the field of play, after he hacked down Hippolyte close to the dugouts whilst on a yellow. Referee Aaron Jackson chose to book nine players during the match, but decided to call over the Bromley captain and make clear that his teammate was on a final warning, instead of being consistent with his card-happy approach over the rest of the 90 minute period.

In a half that looked like it was going to fizzle out, Yeovil got their noses in front during the final 20 minutes in farcical circumstances. Craig Alcock's cross from the right met a cluster of Bromley defenders, one of whom headed the ball against one of his teammates and when the ball ricocheted back out, Marc-Anthony Okoye inexplicably poked the ball past his own goalkeeper, to gift Yeovil a 2-1 lead via one of the best own goals you'll see this season.

Five minutes later and it was 3-1. Carl Dickinson's free kick was put in deep towards Charlie Lee. He planted a looping header back across goal and into the far corner. Stand in keeper, or no stand in keeper, there was no way Chris Bush was saving that and it was to kill the match off finally as a contest.

Despite this, one particular ballboy on the Screwfix side of the ground decided to get creative. He decided he didn't want to give the ball back to Bromley's Sam Wood for a throw-in, resulting in a ticking off. When the same ballboy appeared to throw the ball past another Bromley player, one of Yeovil's players politely asked him to exit the field, and referee Aaron Jackson decided to put a message via the Fourth Official and a Steward, meaning that over the few minutes that followed, ballboys in each area of the ground were retired.

Not that this mattered towards the course of a game that was as good as over in the 77th minute when Yeovil went 3-1 up. A jubilant crowd sang out the final six minutes worth of added time, having seen a game in which Bromley had been firmly in for 70 minutes, but were then undone by two goals in five minutes. Yeovil's winning run now extends to seven matches, and with those including victories over the teams in first and second place at the end of Saturday, they'll be starting to feel that run has some very clear merit, even if today's performance wasn't one way traffic by any stretch of the imagination.

Link: 2019-20 Latest National League Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 3 Bromley 1.

Scorers: Michael Cheek (0-1, 22 mins), Jimmy Smith (1-1, 45 mins), Marc-Anthony Okoye (2-1, 72 mins, own goal), Charlie Lee (3-1, 77 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-3-1-2)
31. Adam Smith
2. Craig Alcock 6. Luke Wilkinson 4. Lee Collins (Capt) 3. Carl Dickinson
7. Matt Worthington 26. Charlie Lee 11. Myles Hippolyte
5. Jimmy Smith
10. Gold Omotayo 9. Rhys Murphy

8. Lawson D'Ath (7 mins for Rhys Murphy) 18. Albi Skendi (87 mins for Jimmy Smith) 19. Tom Bradbury 24. Remeao Hutton 28. James Tilley (67 mins for Matt Worthington)

1 Mark Cousins 2 Joe Kizzi 13 Chris Bush 7 Luke Coulson 5 Marc-Anthony Okoye 10 Billy Bingham 3 Sam Wood 26 Alfie Doughty 25 Josh Rees 9 Michael Cheek 19 Recco Hackett-Fairchild

6 Jack Holland (8 mins for Mark Cousins) 11 Adam Mekki 15 Michael Klass 17 Adrian Clifton (56 mins for Alfie Doughty) 27 Shawn McCoulsky (75 mins for Luke Coulson)

Yeovil Bookings: Charlie Lee (10 mins, foul), Matt Worthington (30 mins, foul), Gold Omotayo (59 mins, dissent) Luke Wilkinson (68 mins, foul), Jimmy Smith (79 mins, kicking ball away)

Bromley Bookings: Luke Coulson (30 mins, foul), Chris Bush (45 mins, ungentlemanly conduct), Joe Kizzi (54 mins, foul)

Referee: Aaron Jackson (Liverpool). Assistants: Joshua Ainscow (Wiltshire) and Benjamin Williamson (Wiltshire). Fourth Official: Shane Mansfield (Wiltshire).

Attendance: 3,960 (with 147 Bromley supporters)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape