Match Details: Yeovil Town v Maidenhead United
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Maidenhead United

Match Details: 24/08/2019
Yeovil Town 1-2 Maidenhead United
National League

Yeovil Goals: Courtney Duffus (86)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Stuart Nelson, 2. Craig Alcock, 3. Carl Dickinson, 7. Matt Worthington, 8. Lawson D'Ath, 11. Myles Hippolyte, 14. Courtney Duffus, 18. Albi Skendi, 19. Tom Bradbury, 23. Tom Whelan, 26. Charlie Lee
Subs: 6. Luke Wilkinson, 9. Rhys Murphy, 12. Marcin Brzozowski, 16. Gabriel Rogers, 24. Remeao Hutton,

Substitutes Used: Rhys Murphy for Myles Hippolyte (71 mins), Gabriel Rogers for Tom Whelan (80 mins), Luke Wilkinson for Lawson D'Ath (89 mins)

Bookings: Charlie Lee (Foul, 19), Tom Whelan (Foul, 75), Matt Worthington (Foul, 88)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town slipped to their first home defeat of the 2019-20 season, as Maidenhead United grabbed all three points at Huish Park. The 1-2 result came as the Magpies scored two second half goals, with Josh Smile's 56th minute free kick taking a deflection on its way into the back of the net. With five minutes remaining, Daniel Whitehall's long range strike put the visitors in a comfortable position, and although Courtney Duffus quickly pulled one back with his third goal of the season, that wasn't enough to worry the Berkshire side, with Yeovil stuck in a 13th place midtable position once the day's results had come in.

The Glovers went into the match fielding one change to their starting line-up, as Charlie Lee came in for his first start of the season, displacing Remeao Hutton. The extra midfielder allowed for a formation change, with 3-4-1-2 being abandoned for the first time at the start of a game, and a 4-3-1-2 being employed, with Lawson D'Ath as the most advanced midfielder, whilst Charlie Lee provided a holding role. In the opposition line-up Seth Nana Twumasi provided a full-back role for Maidenhead.

The first half was rather devoid of serious chances from either side. Yeovil had the better of them, with Tom Whelan opening proceedings by firing comfortably over the bar. Myles Hippolyte almost embarrassed Maidenhead keeper Taye Ashby-Hammond when he tried to catch the striker's 25 yard strike but ended up almost spooning it into his own net, catching the ball on the second attempt.

Maidenhead's best effort on goal came when a Ryan Upward effort took a deflection off a Yeovil defender, wrong-footing Stuart Nelson but with the ball skidding wide for a corner. That was as close as they got, but Yeovil weren't much better. Their set pieces this season haven't been up to scratch this season, and that was emphasised when Lawson D'Ath ballooned a free kick well over the bar. 0-0 at the break and it wasn't pretty.

The second half by contrast contained more action in the first 120 seconds than the opening 45 minutes had. Lawson D'Ath bore down on goal, but Taye Ashby-Hammond blocked the ball well to deny him a proper shot. However, Myles Hippolyte couldn't compose himself properly on the rebound, with the ball flying over the crossbar. Straight down the other end and Josh Kelly went close, with his shot crashing off the underside of the crossbar and back out as the Magpies created their best effort on goal.

That was the warning sign for Yeovil, as eleven minutes into the second half, Maidenhead took the lead. The goal had a bit of fortune about it as Josh Smile's free kick flew through a crowded goalmouth, off the body of Myles Hippolyte and into the back of the net. Initially up went a linesman's flag, disallowing the goal for an offside. But when the match referee Tom Reeves checked with his assistant who he thought had touched the free kick on its way through, he overruled his assistant and awarded the goal. 0-1 down.

It was almost 0-2 just 60 seconds later. A cross into the box was blocked at close range by the arm of Carl Dickinson. Despite Yeovil protests, referee Tom Reeves pointed to the spot. Not for the first time though, Stuart Nelson came to their rescue. Jake Cassidy's spot kick was saved superbly to keep the deficit at a single goal and to keep his side in the game.

Two minutes later and Nelson was at it again, palming a Jake Cassidy shot around the post for a corner. It took a while for Yeovil to recompose themselves after that problematic period, with Lawson D'Ath forcing Taye Ashby-Hammond into a parried save. Yeovil then briefly thought they had equalised when Tom Bradbury 'scored' from a set piece, only to find a linesman's flag going up to deny him. On this occasion, there was no overruling from the officials, and the offside decision stood.

Yeovil gambled by bringing on Rhys Murphy, who had only limped off with a hamstring problem ten days ago. But with five minutes to go, they were undone on the break with a goal that appeared to have killed the game. Courtney Duffus lost possession from a Yeovil attack, and Maidenhead fed the ball up field, eventually finding substitute Daniel Whitehall. He hit a speculative shot from distance, and it flew past Stuart Nelson and into the corner of the net to put Yeovil 0-2 down.

Just sixty seconds later, and what seemed to be a lost cause turned into a flicker of hope for Yeovil Town. In a multi-man move involving Lawson D'Ath and substitute Gabriel Rogers, they found Rhys Murphy who threaded the ball to Courtney Duffus. The striker has already scored twice at Huish Park, both at the away end of the ground. This time he did it at the home end as he slotted home with four minutes remaining to give Yeovil hope at 1-2.

Centre-back Luke Wilkinson hasn't been seen at all since he was signed up in June, due to a pre-season injury. His debut for Yeovil Town was an unconventional one - an 89th minute introduction as a striker. He almost got himself an assist - it was his cross into the box during five minutes of second half injury time that saw Courtney Duffus head just wide of the target. Right at the death, Gabriel Rogers had a shot turned around the post for a corner, but there wasn't enough time to get anything out of it, with Maidenhead taking all three points on the day. Yeovil slipped once place to 13th, once all twelve Saturday fixtures had been played, with a growing pattern that their lack of creativity in the final third is causing them some problems.

Link: 2019-20 Latest National League Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Maidenhead United 2.

Scorers: Josh Smile (0-1, 56 mins), Daniel Whitehall (0-2, 85 mins), Courtney Duffus (1-2, 86 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-3-1-2)
1. Stuart Nelson,
2. Craig Alcock 18. Albi Skendi, 19. Tom Bradbury, 3. Carl Dickinson (Capt)
7. Matt Worthington, 26. Charlie Lee 23. Tom Whelan
8. Lawson D'Ath
11. Myles Hippolyte, 14. Courtney Duffus

12. Marcin Brzozowski 6. Luke Wilkinson (89 mins for Lawson D'Ath) 9. Rhys Murphy (71 mins for Myles Hippolyte) 16. Gabriel Rogers (80 mins for Tom Whelan) 24. Remeao Hutton

Maidenhead United:
21 Taye Ashby-Hammond 4 Joe Ellul 5 Aron Davies 15 Seth Nana Ofori-Twumasi 16 Ryheem Sheckleford 24 Alan Massey 19 Ryan Upward 28 Josh Smile 10 Josh Kelly 9 Jake Cassidy 11 Bernard Mensah

7 Shamir Fenelon (76 mins for Bernard Mensah) 8 James Comley (67 mins for Aron Davies) 12 Bradley Keetch 14 Daniel Whitehall (71 mins for Josh Smile) 17 Henry Landers

Yeovil Bookings: Charlie Lee (foul, 19 mins), Tom Whelan (foul, 75 mins), Matt Worthington (foul, 88 mins)

Maidenhead United: Joe Ellul (foul, 45 mins), Jake Cassidy (timewasting, 90 mins), James Comley (off the ball incident, 90 mins)

Yeovil Statistics: Possession: 58%; Shots On Target: 6; Shots Off Target: 8; Corners: 7.

Maidenhead United Statistics: Possession: 42%; Shots On Target: 3; Shots Off Target: 5; Corners: 5.

Referee: Tom Reeves (Coventry). Assistants: Michael D'Aguilar (Staffordshire) and Richard Walker (Worcestershire). Fourth Official: Shane Mansfield (Wiltshire).

Attendance: 2,179 (with 102 Maidenhead United supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape