Match Details: Yeovil Town v Milton Keynes Dons
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Milton Keynes Dons

Match Details: 25/09/2018
Yeovil Town 1-1 Milton Keynes Dons
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Olufela Olomola (88)

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Carl Dickinson, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 6. Omar Sowunmi, 11. Jordan Green, 12. Nathan Baxter, 14. Diallang Jaiyesimi, 17. Alex Pattison, 18. Yoann Arquin, 20. Sessi D'Almeida, 24. Olufela Olomola, 27. Shaun Donnellan,
Subs: 7. Rhys Browne, 9. Alex Fisher, 10. Jake Gray, 15. Gabriel Rogers, 23. Tom James, 25. Steve Phillips, 29. Enes Mahmutovic

Substitutes Used: Alex Fisher for Diallang Jaiyesimi (23 mins), Rhys Browne for Yoann Arquin (56 mins), Tom James for Bevis Mugabi (62 mins)

Bookings: Jordan Green (Foul, 45), Omar Sowunmi (Foul, 82)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town came from behind to rescue a point against Milton Keynes Dons on Tuesday night. In a match in which the away side carved out the better slice of the chances, it took an 88th minute goal from Scunthorpe United loanee Olufela Olomola to bail them out, as he converted a Jordan Green ball into the box to provide a 1-1 draw. Until that point, it looked as though former Glover Kieran Agard had provided Paul Tisdale's side with all three points with his goal in first half injury time putting the visitors ahead. Yeovil's evening was marred by a serious injury to Norwich City loanee Diallang Jaiyesimi that saw him substituted midway through the first half whilst they also finished the game with ten man as Omar Sowunmi suffered a second half injury time problem with all three substitutes made. The Glovers had the bonus though of climbing into the play-off spots again by the end of the evening, sitting in sixth place.

The Glovers went into the match naming two changes to their starting line-up, with both of those being tactical swaps. Olufela Olomola was preferred to Alex Fisher up front, whilst Shaun Donnellan was brought into the defence, with Middlesbrough loanee Enes Mahmutovic dropping to the bench. For the second match running Omari Patrick was the sixth loanee, with the same eighteen players selected. In the Milton Keynes side, Kieran Agard started, whilst former trialist Joe Walsh sat on their bench, with Lawson D'Ath not making their teamsheet.

The first bit of noteworthy action happened six minutes into the match when Jordan Green's run and fall on the edge of the penalty box led to appeals for a spot kick coming from the home contingent, but referee Antony Coggins waved the protests away. But at the other end, Ryan Watson had a trio of efforts on goal, firing one from the edge of the box just wide, another deflected for a corner, and a third just over the bar. Then Kieran Agard also cleared the crossbar for the visitors.

Yeovil created their first effort on goal after Olufela Olomola fed Yoann Arquin, only to find his drive across the goal going just wide of the target. But their attempts to provide some fluency to their game were thwarted somewhat by a five minute delay, caused by Alex Gilbey's poor tackle on Diallang Jaiyesimi. Whilst the Milton Keynes player landed in the book, Jaiyesimi ended up suffering the most, as he was stretchered off the field, forcing Alex Fisher to make an early entrance onto the pitch.

Carl Dickinson's free kick from 30 yards out caused concerns for visiting keeper Lee Nicholls as it whipped past the wall, but that went wide of the post, but as the game drew towards the half time break, it was Milton Keynes that threatened the most, with a series of free kicks and corners that kept Nathan Baxter busy with him needing to punch clear, or claim crosses. However, in a bitter twist, the time added on for Jaiyesimi's injury was to benefit Milton Keynes as they opened the scoring four minutes into time added on. Callum Brittain thread a pass through to former Glovers striker Kieran Agard and he fired home on the angle to give his current side a 0-1 lead at the break.

Seven minutes into the second period, Milton Keynes should have doubled their lead, with Agard involved once again. Rhys Healey's cross into the box got beyond Nathan Baxter, but despite their goalscorer being at the back post and with the goal gaping, somehow he managed to lift the ball over the crossbar from six yards out for an incredible let-off. Healey then fired just wide of the posts, before Alex Gilbey headed narrowly over the crossbar.

With things not going Yeovil's way, changes were attempted, with Rhys Browne replacing Yoann Arquin on the wing, and then the final substitution seeing Tom James replace Bevis Mugabi with just an hour gone - a measure of the pattern of the game that those changes had to be committed so early.

Nathan Baxter had to be strong to keep out shots from Callum Brittain and Ryan Watson, whilst Milton Keynes substitute Ousseynoi Cisse headed just wide from a corner. For Yeovil, their chances were drying up, with only Jordan Green's attempt lifting over the bar giving them any hope that an equaliser was on the cards. Instead, a second goal from the visitors looked more likely, as Watson shot over the crossbar, whilst Baxter had to palm another Cisse attempt over the bar for a corner.

It look until the final five minutes before Yeovil finally began to put the visitors under pressure. Jordan Green should have scored when he broke behind their defence, but his shot was well blocked by the body of Lee Nicholls. But then came an improbable breakthrough. Sessi D'Almeida set Green on a run and when he slipped the ball through to Olufela Olomola, the Scunthorpe man fired home on the angle to provide an 88th minute equaliser, and to create a sense of relief amongst the home crowd.

In theory Yeovil could have then used that lift to create a grandstand finish, but they were thwarted during four minutes of injury time when Omar Sowunmi went down injured, and when he had to hobble off, the remaining ten men could not risk forcing the issue, and so the final few minutes ended without incident, giving Yeovil a 1-1 draw that their overall play didn't always look like getting. In that context, probably a point gained and one that lifts them from 10th to 6th in the ultra-tight League Two table.

Link: 2018-19 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Milton Keynes Dons 1.

Scorers: Kieran Agard (0-1, 45 mins), Olufela Olomola (1-1, 88 mins)

Yeovil Town:
12. Nathan Baxter
5. Bevis Mugabi, 6. Omar Sowunmi (Capt), 27. Shaun Donnellan, 3. Carl Dickinson
11. Jordan Green, 20. Sessi D'Almeida, 17. Alex Pattison, 18. Yoann Arquin
14. Diallang Jaiyesimi, 24. Olufela Olomola

25. Steve Phillips, 7. Rhys Browne (56 mins for Yoann Arquin), 9. Alex Fisher (23 mins for Diallang Jaiyesimi) 10. Jake Gray, 15. Gabriel Rogers, 23. Tom James (62 mins for Bevis Mugabi), 29. Enes Mahmutovic

Milton Keynes Dons:
1. Lee Nicholls 2. George Williams 3. Dean Lewington (Capt) 7. Ryan Watson 8. Alex Gilbey 14. Kieran Agard 15. Jordan Moore-Taylor 24. Jordan Houghton 25. Callum Brittain 26. Baily Cargill 32. Rhys Healey

22. Stuart Moore, 4. Joe Walsh, 6. Ousseynoi Cisse (62 mins for Alex Gilbey), 10. Chuks Aneke, 12. Mitch Hancox, 19. Robbie Simpson, 23. Brandon Thomas-Asante

Yeovil Bookings: Jordan Green (foul, 45 mins), Omar Sowunmi (foul, 82 mins)

Milton Keynes Dons Bookings: Baily Cargill (17 mins), Alex Gilbey (foul, 18 mins), Callum Brittain (foul, 70 mins), Jordan Moore-Taylor (foul, 90 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 50%; Shots: 12; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 1; Fouls: 15.

Milton Keynes Dons Match Statistics: Possession: 50%; Shots: 19; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 8; Fouls: 11.

Referee: Antony Coggins (Oxfordshire). Assistants: Christopher Wade (Hampshire) and Andrew Laver (Hampshire). Fourth Official: Mark Pottage (Dorset).

Attendance: 2,634 (with 120 Milton Keynes Dons supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape