Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 06/04/2019
Swindon Town 1-1 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Adel Gafaiti (90)

Yeovil Line-Up: 4. Gary Warren, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 6. Omar Sowunmi, 8. Matt Worthington, 11. Courtney Duffus, 12. Nathan Baxter, 16. Tristan Abrahams, 20. Sessi D'Almeida, 23. Tom James, 25. Alex Dobre, 26. Daniel Ojo,
Subs: 1. Stuart Nelson, 2. Adel Gafaiti, 9. Alex Fisher, 10. Jake Gray, 15. Gabriel Rogers, 27. Ryan Seager, 29. Alex John

Substitutes Used: Adel Gafaiti for Omar Sowunmi (30 mins), Alex Fisher for Sessi D'Almeida (52 mins), Ryan Seager for Courtney Duffus (76 mins)

Bookings: Courtney Duffus (Foul, 20)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town broke their losing run with a last gasp goal against play-off chasing Swindon Town at the County Ground on Saturday afternoon. The 90th minute header from Adel Gafaiti earned the Glovers a 1-1 draw and their first point in six games, to stun their Wiltshire opponents who had controlled the majority of the game. The Robins had taken the lead through a Keshi Anderson goal just before the break as he converted from close range. But Swindon couldn't find a second goal, and as the clock ticked down home nerves kicked in, and Gafaiti capitalised from a Tom James free kick, that keeps them just above the dotted line on goal difference, as the bottom pair drew their fixtures, leaving Yeovil in 22nd place.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes to their starting line-up. At the back an Achilles injury for Josh Grant saw Omar Sowunmi come into the side, with Bevis Mugabi moving into the right-back slot. The other two changes were in the front line positions, with Courtney Duffus replacing Alex Fisher, whilst Tristan Abrahams replaced Gabriel Rogers. On the bench, Alex John's inclusion meant that there were three Academy players on the teamsheet for the first time this season despite five senior first team players being fit and available.

The first half was one dominated by Swindon, with the Glovers only managing a couple of half-efforts from Sessi D'Almeida - one of which went well wide, whilst the other was straight at the keeper. Things were rather more dangerous at the other end with Danny Rose having a shot parried by Nathan Baxter for a corner, followed by a Kyle Bennett long-ranger which the Chelsea loanee easily claimed. There was defensive chaos as Gary Warren slipped in the box, in his attempts to stop another Swindon attack, with Theo Robinson's effort leading to a goalmouth scramble that saw the ball rebound into a grateful Baxter's arms.

Swindon's pressure saw Courtney Duffus have to clear off his own goalline from a Danny Rose shot that came out of a set piece, as the rearguard action continued. Yeovil's cause wasn't helped as Omar Sowunmi's injury problems continued, with the defender going down after half an hour. He was forced to hand over his captain's armband to Gary Warren, with Adel Gafaiti replacing him - the suspicion being that Sowunmi's ankle issues had not cleared up sufficiently.

That injury slowed down Swindon's dominance of the game, but ultimately the Wiltshire side still managed to get their noses ahead. A Kyle Bennett free kick was recycled, and the ball fell to Luke Woolfenden. His shot deflected off Adel Gafaiti and onto the underside of the crossbar, with Keshi Anderson being the first to react to the loose ball and convert the rebound for a 1-0 half time lead that the Robins undoubtedly deserved. They almost went in two-up as Theo Robinson lobbed an out of position Nathan Baxter a minute later, but fortunately the attempt bounced wide of the post.

The second period looked initially as though Yeovil were going to struggle to create chances in open play, and it wasn't a great surprise to find Neale Marmon sacrificing the 4-3-3 formation as Sessi D'Almeida made way for Alex Fisher just seven minutes into the half, with a 4-4-2 being deployed for the remainder of the game. Initially Swindon were still the dominant side, and once again they missed a great opportunity to extend their lead, after Theo Robinson rounded Nathan Baxter who had raced off his line to deal with some danger. Robinson's shot though was blocked by Gary Warren who was in the right place, right time to guard the goal.

With only one goal in the game, Yeovil began to chip away at Swindon's armour, with an Alex Fisher header comfortably saved, before Daniel Ojo's pace saw his 20 yard shot clear the crossbar. Matt Worthington's attempt from the edge of the box wasn't great, but meant that Yeovil were gradually starting to clock up the chances. They even had the ball in the back of the net, after Courtney Duffus converted a Tom James cross from close range, only to find the linesman's flag stopping his celebrations.

Ryan Seager was introduced for the final 15 minutes as a replacement for Duffus, with Swindon Town's fans growing increasingly restless at their team's tendency to sit back on the 1-0 lead. Two Tom James efforts continued the efforts on goal, as he saw one shot easily saved by Luke McCormick, followed by one of his trademark free kicks that McCormick hopelessly misjudged in the air, leading to the loose ball being hacked away.

Swindon decided to try to block out as defender Tom Broadbent was introduced as a substitute for attacking midfielder Kyle Bennett in the closing couple of minutes, but they seemed to be handing the initiative to Yeovil in the way they played out the game. Just as the referee signalled two minutes worth of additional time, a Tom James free kick into the box found Adel Gafaiti, who headed home from close range to send 331 Glovers fans home very happy with a 1-1 draw keeping them out of the relegation zone that they had spent much of the afternoon occupying. Whilst for long stretches of the game they were second best, they clung in there, and Swindon's gradual acceptance of their single goal advantage played into Yeovil Town's hands, giving them a chance for what might turn out to be an extremely valuable away point, keeping them in 22nd place at the end of the day.

Link: 2018-19 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Swindon Town 1 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Keshi Anderson (1-0, 45 mins), Adel Gafaiti (1-1, 90 mins)

Swindon Town:
23 Luke McCormick
2 Kyle Knoyle 26 Dion Conroy 32 Luke Woolfenden 29 Ali Koiki
30 Danny Rose 37 Kyle Bennett 19 Canice Carroll
22 Kaiyne Woolery 35 Theo Robinson 10 Keshi Anderson

3 Michael Doughty (69 mins for Keshi Anderson) 4 Jak McCourt 8 James Dunne 9 Marc Richards 31 Matthew Taylor 33 Tom Broadbent (88 mins for Kyle Bennett) 39 Archie Matthews

Yeovil Town:
12. Nathan Baxter
5. Bevis Mugabi 6. Omar Sowunmi (Capt) 4. Gary Warren 26. Daniel Ojo
8. Matt Worthington 23. Tom James 20. Sessi D'Almeida
16. Tristan Abrahams 11. Courtney Duffus 25. Alex Dobre

1. Stuart Nelson (GK) 2. Adel Gafaiti (30 mins for Omar Sowunmi) 9. Alex Fisher (52 mins for Sessi D'Almeida) 10. Jake Gray 15. Gabriel Rogers 27. Ryan Seager (76 mins for Courtney Duffus) 29. Alex John

Swindon Town Bookings: None.

Yeovil Bookings: Courtney Duffus (foul, 20 mins)

Swindon Town Match Statistics: Possession: 55%; Shots: 16; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 6; Fouls: 11.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 45%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 2; Fouls: 13.

Referee: Thomas Bramall (South Yorkshire). Assistants: Matthew Smith (Durham) and Adrian Tranter (Dorset). Fourth Official: Leigh Crowhurst (Sussex).

Attendance: 6,645 (with 331 Yeovil Town supporters)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape