Match Details: Crawley Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Crawley Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 29/09/2018
Crawley Town 3-1 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Carl Dickinson (42)

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Carl Dickinson, 7. Rhys Browne, 10. Jake Gray, 11. Jordan Green, 12. Nathan Baxter, 17. Alex Pattison, 20. Sessi D'Almeida, 23. Tom James, 24. Olufela Olomola, 27. Shaun Donnellan, 29. Enes Mahmutovic
Subs: 5. Bevis Mugabi, 8. Omari Patrick, 9. Alex Fisher, 15. Gabriel Rogers, 18. Yoann Arquin, 25. Steve Phillips, 26. Daniel Ojo,

Substitutes Used: Yoann Arquin for Alex Pattison (34 mins), Alex Fisher for Rhys Browne (63 mins), Omari Patrick for Jordan Green (79 mins)

Bookings: Sessi D'Almeida (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 33)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down to defeat on their travels as Crawley Town won 3-1 at the Broadfield Stadium. Although the Glovers started the game well, they fell behind when Ollie Palmer finished Lewis Young's cross at the back post to put the home side ahead. Left-back Carl Dickinson got into an advanced position when he equalised for Yeovil three minutes before the break with his angled shot into the far corner. But Crawley began to assert themselves during the second period, and substitute Ashley Nathaniel-George fired home a 25 yard strike to put Crawley back in front, whilst in the closing stages they looked the dominant force, eventually sealing the points when Filipe Morais got a 94th minute goal, to push Yeovil down to 12th in the table, leaving them with just one point from their last three fixtures.

The Glovers went into the match making four changes to their starting line-up for the match, compared to the Tuesday night game against Milton Keynes. Two of those changes were forced, with Omar Sowunmi's ankle injury seeing Enes Mahmutovic coming back into the side, whilst Diallang Jaiyesimi's knee injury meant he was replaced by Rhys Browne, with Jordan Green playing up front. Sessi D'Almeida captained the side for the first time. In the Crawley line-up, they also had injury and suspension issues. Whilst Lewis Young and Bondz N'Gala provided familiar faces for Glovers fans, the latter was Crawley's last man standing in the centre-back position, meaning that they had to put out a makeshift back four.

The way that Yeovil Town opened up proceedings suggested that no-one in the Crawley scouting team had seen their recent performances at Notts County and Newport County. Giving Jordan Green plenty of space to run at the back four during the opening ten or fifteen minutes felt like a bit of a gift, and on his first run into the box, he fired his shot into the side netting. Josh Payne had to illegally stop Green's next run, and from the free kick, Carl Dickinson found almost the exact same square of side netting that Green had, three minutes earlier. Home keeper Glenn Morris then had to get down low to block a Olufela Olomola ball across the six yard box, to stop anyone getting on the end of it at the back post. Rhys Browne's flash well wide of the posts was more wayward, but it was a bright start to the game.

It took Crawley around a quarter of an hour to find their feet, and whilst they weren't creating too much early on, they managed to find a way to block off the large holes in the middle of their defence, and to begin to feed the main target man of their side, in Ollie Palmer. The former Lincoln City striker was clinical in the 25th minute though, as he opened the scoring in the match. Former Glover Lewis Young managed to outstrip Carl Dickinson for pace, and when his low cross came into the box, one of his teammates took a slight flick-on, and that allowed enough of a distraction for Palmer to fire home on the back post from close range for a 1-0 home lead.

Crawley began to enjoy their best spell of the half, with Yeovil's cause not helped by an injury to Alex Pattison after Joe Maguire fouled him. He had to be replaced by Yoann Arquin, which saw a midfield swapover as Jake Gray came into the centre, Rhys Browne swapped flanks and Arquin moved onto the left wing. There was a bit of an altercation minutes later between Mark Randall and Sessi D'Almeida off the ball that saw both players booked, and the sudden physicality didn't really seem to suit Yeovil's game.

In the closing stages of the first half though, Yeovil finally began to take control of the game again. Yoann Arquin had just fired over the crossbar, when three minutes before the break, Yeovil drew level. Olufela Olomola found an overlapping Carl Dickinson on the wide left, and the full-back fired his shot across Glenn Morris and into the far corner for a 1-1 equaliser. With the half ending with Sessi D'Almeida's shot from outside the box going just over the bar, and Jordan Green forcing Morris into a safe, it looked as though having had a mid-half stutter, that the Good Ship Yeovil was now steering back in the right direction. They could have even sneaked a half time lead, if a linesman's flag hadn't gone up against Olomola when he headed home a rebound shot from close range, only to be ruled offside.

The second half opened in a more balanced way. Whilst Yoann Arquin's pace caught out Crawley as his run down the left flank was met with a parry from Glenn Morris, as Bondz N'Gala put in a slightly panicked clearance, the follow-up from Sessi D'Almeida was an attempt to place the loose ball in the net that ended up giving Morris an easy second save. At the other end, Ollie Palmer had a great chance to convert a Luke Gambin cross at the near post, but his attempt went just wide of that post.

Yeovil's attack needed livening up a bit, and with the away support chanting Alex Fisher's name as he warmed up, they got what they wanted as he replaced Rhys Browne - a move that saw Jordan Green drop to a wide position just past the hour mark. Immediately after the substitution, Olufela Olomola gave himself a glorious chance to give his side the lead, as his run across the face of the penalty box eventually gave himself room to shoot - sadly the shot just about cleared the top left hand corner he was aiming for.

On such moments games turn. Four minutes later, it was Crawley who took the lead, with substitute Ashley Nathaniel-George producing a superb 25 yard drive that flew into the bottom right hand corner, giving Nathan Baxter little chance of getting to the ball, and leaving Yeovil just 22 minutes to rescue the match.

But instead it looked as though Crawley were more inspired by that goal. Sessi D'Almeida gave away the ball on the halfway line, allowing Ollie Palmer to set up Nathaniel-George through on goal, with Nathan Baxter having to block the shot. Yeovil pushed players forward, but without any clear direction or obvious opportunities. Despite the territory, there was little to worry Glenn Morris in the closing stages. Instead, Crawley should have been ahead 89 minutes into the match, when the home side began to run the ball into the corner flags. Yeovil seemed to switch off, and Nathaniel-George decided to change direction and go for goal, with his cross into the box seeing Palmer's shot come off Baxter's body, and then on the rebound, the striker put the ball wide, despite a gaping goal.

There was to be no let-off though. In the 93rd minute, and pretty much with the last kick of the game, Filipe Morais got space just inside the box, and he fired a low shot into the left-hand corner for a 3-1 lead, and to guarantee that Yeovil went home with nothing to show from the match. In truth although the Glovers played well in patches, they also played poorly in patches, and it was during those poor patches that they gave Crawley their goals. During the closing stages, the visitors looked tired, and didn't look likely to find that second equaliser. As such, they dropped to 12th in the table, albeit with only one point separating them and the top seven positions.

Link: 2018-19 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Crawley Town 3 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Ollie Palmer (25 mins, 1-0), Carl Dickinson (42 mins, 1-1), Ashley Nathaniel-George (68 mins, 2-1), Filipe Morais (90 mins, 3-1)

Crawley Town:
1 Glenn Morris
2 Lewis Young 33 Bondz N'Gala 20 Romain Vincelot 16 Joe Maguire
22 Filipe Morais 4 Josh Payne 25 Mark Randall 11 Luke Gambin
9 Ollie Palmer 28 Panutche Camara

3 Josh Doherty 10 Dominic Poleon (75 mins for Luke Gambin) 12 Yusuf Mersin 14 George Francomb 15 Ashley Nathaniel-George (58 mins for Mark Randall) 27 Tarryn Allarakhia

Yeovil Town:
12. Nathan Baxter
23. Tom James, 29. Enes Mahmutovic, 27. Shaun Donnellan, 3. Carl Dickinson
10. Jake Gray, 20. Sessi D'Almeida (Capt), 17. Alex Pattison, 7. Rhys Browne
11. Jordan Green, 24. Olufela Olomola

25. Steve Phillips, 5. Bevis Mugabi 8. Omari Patrick (79 mins for Jordan Green) 9. Alex Fisher (63 mins for Rhys Browne) 15. Gabriel Rogers, 18. Yoann Arquin (34 mins for Alex Pattison) 26. Daniel Ojo

Crawley Town Bookings: Joe Maguire (29 mins, foul), Mark Randall (33 mins, off the ball incident), Ollie Palmer (85 mins, foul)

Yeovil Bookings: Sessi D'Almeida (33 mins, off the ball incident)

Crawley Town Match Statistics: Possession: 55%; Shots: 14; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 3; Fouls: 15.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 45%; Shots: 16; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 3; Fouls: 14.

Referee: Neil Hair (Huntingdonshire). Assistants: Stuart Butler (Kent) and Bhupinder Gill (London). Fourth Official: Adrian Waters (London).

Attendance: 2,142 (with 284 Yeovil Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape