Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 10/04/2018
Swindon Town 2-2 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Lewis Wing (68), Alex Fisher (89)

Yeovil Line-Up: 5. Bevis Mugabi, 6. Lewis Wing, 7. Otis Khan, 9. Rhys Browne, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 18. Alex Fisher, 20. Oscar Gobern, 23. Tom James, 25. Stuart Nelson, 27. Shaun Donnellan, 30. Alefe Santos
Subs: 4. Jared Bird, 8. Connor Smith, 12. Jonny Maddison, 15. Jordan Green, 19. Marcus Barnes, 21. Ryan Seager, 22. Corey Whelan,

Substitutes Used: Jordan Green for Alefe Santos (46 mins), Jonny Maddison for Stuart Nelson (46 mins), Marcus Barnes for Rhys Browne (73 mins)

Bookings: Omar Sowunmi (Foul, 42), Oscar Gobern (Foul, 55)

Match Report:

An 89th minute goal from Alex Fisher grabbed Yeovil Town a late share of the spoils against Swindon Town on Tuesday night. The former Motherwell striker grabbed his fifth goal for the club as he turned in an Omar Sowunmi flick-on in the latter stages of a match where the Glovers twice had to come from behind. Matthew Taylor turned in at the near post for the home side early on, with it taking until the midway point of the second half before Lewis Wing's drive from outside the box levelled the scores. But Taylor got his second goal four minutes later when he shot from the edge of the box to restore Swindon's lead. They seemed to be comfortable holding that, until Fisher's vital strike a minute from time gave a 2-2 draw as Yeovil remain in 18th but continue to inch their way towards mathematical safety with six games to go.

Yeovil went into the match making four changes to the team that lost against Luton Town on Saturday. Two of those were forced, with Ryan Dickson's suspension meaning that Bevis Mugabi came into the back four and Tom James moved to the left-back slot. A formation change to a 4-3-3 meant that Francois Zoko's suspension was covered for by an extra midfielder, with Otis Khan coming into a wide position. Oscar Gobern replaced Jared Bird, whilst Alefe Santos was preferred for Jordan Green.

Alex Fisher shot well wide early on, whilst 18 year old Scott Twine headed over the bar for the home side for their first chance. However, Swindon took the lead just 11 minutes into the match. Kaiyne Woolery's low cross into the box from the left hand side was met at the near post by Matthew Taylor, who diverted the ball home from just six yards out for a 1-0 lead that the hosts deserved based on the early play.

That goal showed the difference between the two sides, as Swindon's 4-4-2 dominated Yeovil's 4-3-3 down the flanks, with Yeovil's wide players struggling to get into the game, and often being sucked back into a 4-5-1 to try to get near the ball. It was Swindon getting the better chances from those wide positions, with Scott Twine going close after Matthew Taylor's cross found him in the box.

It took an unfortunate injury to Stuart Nelson to allow Yeovil Town a chance to regroup on this front. The keeper collided with Oliver Lancashire, injuring both players, but with Nelson needing four minutes of treatment on his wrist to deal with an obvious problem. Although he continued, Jonny Maddison's limbering up on the sidelines suggested this was a marginal decision by the physio and management team. However, the delay did give Yeovil a chance to change their formation back to 4-4-2, with Alefe Santos taking a wide right position and Rhys Browne finding himself as a centre-forward.

The break in play also appeared to take the rhythm out of Swindon's play. Lewis Wing's long range effort was palmed over the crossbar by Stuart Moore in one of very few chances during the remainder of the half. The one major incident occurred when Omar Sowunmi cleaned out James Dunne in the centre of the park, leading to Swindon players hoping that referee Trevor Kettle would reach for his back pocket. Instead he lifted a yellow card, whilst Ollie Banks got the same for giving too strong an opinion on the subject to the match official.

The second half opened with Stuart Nelson unable to continue, and so for the second time this season, Jonny Maddison got himself a chance to prove himself. Jordan Green was also brought on for Alefe Santos, with Browne still left up front - he showed his new striker credentials by firing just wide early on. At the other end, Maddison had to be very alert for his first big moment, as Yeovil's defence switched off on a quickly taken free kick that saw Scott Twine put through - thankfully Maddison saved the effort on goal.

Apart from an Omar Sowumni header that went wide from an Otis Khan free kick, Yeovil weren't showing too many signs of getting an equaliser, and it was looking ever more likely that it would need something from out of the blue for that to happen. Cue Lewis Wing, with something from out of the blue. The Middlesbrough loanee has always been happy to rack up three or four long range strikes per game since his arrival at the club, and midway through the second half, he let fly from 20 yards out - on this occasion, it beat keeper Moore and flew into the back of the net for his third goal of his loan spell, and just what the Glovers needed - 1-1 and game back on.

It took less than four minutes for any celebrations to be cut firmly short. Swindon had threatened to restore their lead within a minute of kick-off, and when Matthew Taylor wasn't closed down on the edge of the box, he struck home an 18 yard shot to restore Swindon's lead at 2-1, and frustratingly to put Yeovil on the back foot once again.

Marcus Barnes was introduced as the club's final substitute, as Rhys Browne's night as a striker was ended, but it seemed the more Yeovil pushed for an equaliser, the more dangerous they made Swindon look as the home side caught them on the break. But despite not having created an awful lot to speak of, with a minute to go before the injury time board went up, a ball into the box by Tom James was flicked on by Omar Sowumni, into the path of Alex Fisher, who chested down and volleyed home his fourth goal in four games for a rather vital 89th minute equaliser at 2-2.

Swindon had barely time to react. Chasing for the play-offs, tonight was their fourth consecutive draw at a time when they needed wins, and the best they could do to frighten Yeovil during five minutes of injury time was a shot from substitute Timi Max Elsnik that flew over the bar. This wasn't a classy performance by the Glovers, but it was enough to earn them an away point, and to quietly inch their way to safety in League Two - still 18th, but now with a 10 point gap to the safety line, Barnet are running out of games, whilst Chesterfield's 2-2 draw against Morecambe tonight was about as perfect a result as Yeovil could have hoped for.

Link: 2017-18 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Swindon Town 2 Yeovil Town 2.

Scorers: Matthew Taylor (1-0, 11 mins), Lewis Wing (1-1, 68 mins), Matthew Taylor (2-1, 72 mins), Alex Fisher (2-2, 89 mins)

Swindon Town:
28 Stuart Moore
24 Kyle Knoyle 2 Ben Purkiss 6 Oliver Lancashire 3 Chris Hussey
27 Scott Twine 29 Oliver Banks 8 James Dunne 31 Matthew Taylor
22 Kaiyne Woolery 17 Marc Richards

7 Paul Mullin (80 mins for Kaiyne Woolery) 12 Will Henry 16 Amine Linganzi 18 Donal McDermott 19 Timi Max Elsnik (87 mins for Scott Twine) 30 Keshi Anderson 34 Ryan McGivern (63 mins for Oliver Lancashire)

Yeovil Town:
25. Stuart Nelson (Capt)
5. Bevis Mugabi 27. Shaun Donnellan 17. Omar Sowunmi 23. Tom James
6. Lewis Wing 20. Oscar Gobern 30. Alefe Santos
9. Rhys Browne 18. Alex Fisher 7. Otis Khan

12. Jonny Maddison (46 mins for Stuart Nelson) 4. Jared Bird 8. Connor Smith 15. Jordan Green (46 mins for Alefe Santos) 19. Marcus Barnes (73 mins for Rhys Browne) 21. Ryan Seager 22. Corey Whelan

Swindon Town Bookings: Ollie Banks (dissent, 43 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Omar Sowunmi (foul, 42 mins), Oscar Gobern (foul, 55 mins)

Swindon Town Match Statistics: Possession: 61%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 8; Fouls: 8.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 39%; Shots: 8; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 3; Fouls: 9.

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Leicestershire). Assistants: Rob Smith (Hertfordshire) and Ronald Ganfield (Somerset). Fourth Official: Mark Derrien (Dorset).

Attendance: 5,709 (with ??? Yeovil Town supporters)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape