Match Details: Yeovil Town v Grimsby Town
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Grimsby Town

Match Details: 30/01/2018
Yeovil Town 3-0 Grimsby Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Lewis Wing (14), Rhys Browne (71), Jake Gray (76)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 6. Lewis Wing, 10. Jake Gray, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 14. Sam Surridge, 15. Jordan Green, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 23. Tom James, 30. Alefe Santos
Subs: 8. Connor Smith, 9. Rhys Browne, 12. Jonny Maddison, 18. Alex Fisher, 21. Ryan Seager, 22. Corey Whelan, 27. Shaun Donnellan,

Substitutes Used: Alex Fisher for Sam Surridge (51 mins), Rhys Browne for Jordan Green (57 mins), Ryan Seager for Francois Zoko (81 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town picked up their first league victory of 2018 on Tuesday night, on the back of a comfortable 3-0 victory over Grimsby Town. The Glovers were helped on their way by Russell Slade's side shooting themselves in the foot right from the start, as Mitch Rose was red carded five minutes into the match for a bad foul, whilst they played the final half hour with nine men as Karleigh Osborne got his second yellow card. In between Middlesbrough loanee Lewis Wing bagged his second goal for the club. That was added to in the closing stages as Rhys Browne and Jake Gray scored to lift the Glovers up to 19th place, and to give themselves a bit of breathing space on the bottom two.

The Glovers went into the match making just one change to their starting line-up from Friday night's game against Manchester United. Jared Bird dropped entirely off the teamsheet, as he was rested, and Alefe Santos came into the starting line-up. Rhys Browne sat on the bench against his former club, whilst for the Mariners James Berrett made a return to Huish Park.

Within five minutes of kick-off, we ended up with the first bit of drama, and it had nothing to do with football. Mitch Rose went in for a loose ball with Jordan Green, and caught him late, studs up, in the middle of the park. It didn't appear as though too many were complaining as referee Charles Breakspear - a late replacement for the advertised official - produced a straight red, leaving the visitors down to ten men, with 85 minutes to play.

Sam Surridge fired over the crossbar, whilst Grimsby's first effort saw Jamille Matt try one from the edge of the box after Nathan Smith lost possession from a Tom James throw. But quarter of an hour in, Yeovil were ahead. The ball into the box from Ryan Dickson looked to have been lost as it went across the face of goal, but Jordan Green went scampering after it and managed to feed Lewis Wing deep inside the box, who fired through the keeper's legs from close range to put the Glovers 1-0 up.

This was a dominant first half from Yeovil, albeit with the criticism that they failed to work Grimsby keeper Ben Killip, with the exception of that goal. Lewis Wing was busy, but he put three shots well over the crossbar. Much more noticeable was Grimsby's own discipline. Whilst some of that came down to their inability to tackle without fouling Jordan Green, one notable incident saw Karleigh Osborne booked for giving his teammate Luke Summerfield a shove off the ball, as the pair argued about a ragged Mariners performane. However, Grimsby did hang in there, meaning that by the time the game reached half time, you wondered if they had half a chance of getting back into it.

Grimsby brought on Diallang Jaiyesimi at half time, to remove wing-back Paul Dixon from their reduced 3-4-2 line-up. Initially it looked as though they'd shrugged off their first half frustrations, by looking more compact and dangerous, as James Berrett had a shot blocked in a dangerous position. Yeovil were offering little, bar a wild Tom James attempt that went over the bar. But once again Grimsby shot themselves in the foot on the hour mark. Karleigh Osborne's first half scrap with his teammate proved costly when a foul saw him also dismissed from the field of play, leaving the visitors two men down with 30 minutes remaining.

Whilst Yeovil weren't appearing to take too much advantage of that at first, ten minutes later they finally doubled their lead. Lewis Wing's shot took a deflection, and Rhys Browne was on hand to stab the ball home as it fell lose to him, scoring against his old club for a 2-0 lead.

That released the nerves a bit, and four minutes later, a much more flowing Yeovil got their third of the evening. Tom James produced a shot that was parried by the Grimsby goalkeeper, and when it reached the back post, Jake Gray picked up the loose ball to score his fourth goal of the season. At 3-0 up, this was now comfortable.

In the final stages, there was a silly moment as three or four supporters came onto the pitch, for reasons unknown, and ran across to the locked empty terrace, not realising that would prevent their escape from the stewards. Back at the football, Ryan Seager got a late home town debut, and he helped set up Jake Gray only for the midfielder's shot to go into the keeper's arms. Rhys Browne almost got a fourth when his shot was brilliantly blocked by Ben Killip, and then hacked away by Danny Collins. Grimsby unsurprisingly looked demoralised by this stage, and the end result was a move up to the table for Yeovil into 19th place, where a five point gap between them and the relegation slots will see them sleep a little more easily between now and the weekend.

Link: 2017-18 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 3 Grimsby Town 0.

Scorers: Lewis Wing (1-0, 14 mins), Rhys Browne (2-0, 71 mins), Jake Gray (3-0, 76 mins)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
23. Tom James 17. Omar Sowunmi 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson
15. Jordan Green 30. Alefe Santos 6. Lewis Wing 10. Jake Gray
14. Sam Surridge 13. Francois Zoko (Capt)

12. Jonny Maddison (GK) 8. Connor Smith 9. Rhys Browne (57 mins for Jordan Green) 18. Alex Fisher (51 mins for Sam Surridge) 21. Ryan Seager (81 mins for Francois Zoko) 22. Corey Whelan 27. Shaun Donnellan

Grimsby Town:
30 Ben Killip
6 Danny Collins 5 Nathan Clarke 14 Karleigh Osborne
12 Zak Mills 7 James Berrett 19 Luke Summerfield 8 Mitch Rose 3 Paul Dixon
29 Jamille Matt 34 Charles Vernam

15 Harry Clifton (79 mins for Charles Vernam) 17 Harry Cardwell 18 Mallik Wilks (73 mins for Jamille Matt) 20 Diallang Jaiyesimi (46 mins for Paul Dixon) 21 Scott Vernon 25 Martyn Woolford 35 Andy Warrington

Yeovil Bookings: None.

Grimsby Town Bookings: Luke Summerfield (foul, 24 mins), Karleigh Osborne (ungentlemanly conduct, 39 mins), Paul Dixon (foul, 44 mins). Red Card: Mitch Rose (serious foul play, 6 mins), Karleigh Osborne (second bookable offence, 60 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 58%; Shots: 14; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 6; Fouls: 12.

Grimsby Town Match Statistics: Possession: 42%; Shots: 3; Shots On Target: 1; Corners: 0; Fouls: 11.

Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey). Assistants: Steven Plane (Worcestershire) and Christopher Husband (Worcestershire). Fourth Official: Simon Knapp (Bristol).

Attendance: 2,330 (with 129 Grimsby Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape