Match Details: Yeovil Town v Southend United
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Southend United

Match Details: 04/11/2017
Yeovil Town 1-0 Southend United
FA Cup First Round

Yeovil Goals: Otis Khan (29)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Matt Worthington, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 7. Otis Khan, 9. Rhys Browne, 10. Jake Gray, 14. Sam Surridge, 16. James Bailey, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 23. Tom James,
Subs: 6. Keston Davies, 8. Connor Smith, 11. Ryan Dickson, 25. Sid Nelson, 30. Alefe Santos, 31. Tommy Scott

Substitutes Used: Alefe Santos for Jake Gray (83 mins)

Bookings: James Bailey (Foul, 66), Bevis Mugabi (Foul, 80)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town won through to the Second Round of the FA Cup this afternoon, after a single goal beat League One side Southend United. The 1-0 victory came from the 12 yard spot, after Sam Surridge was brought down inside the box half an hour into the match. Otis Khan confidently converted to give the lead, and that was enough to win the tie, even if the Glovers twice needed Tom James to clear off the line, with the Essex side also being disallowed a second half goal for a foul.

The Glovers went into the match making two enforced changes. That saw Olufela Olomola and Francois Zoko drop out as they started their three match suspensions, with Jake Gray and Rhys Browne coming into the team. With only one proper striker in the side that also meant that there was a formation change to compensate, with the 4-3-3 being brought back for the match. There was no space for former Glovers loanee Rob Kiernan in the Southend line-up, with him having dropped out of their side to undergo an operation.

Early chances were few and far between. Although Yeovil's play was bright, it didn't create too much, but the same was true of Southend - Anthony Wordsworth's deflected shot was easy for Artur Krysiak to pick up, whilst a later attempt from the same player cleared the crossbar. It took until 20 minutes before there was a chance of real note, as Simon Cox forced Krysiak to tip over his crossbar.

Yeovil took the lead through their first shot on goal, which came from the penalty box. Sam Surridge's run upset the Southend defence, resulting in Ryan Leonard bringing him down in the box for a fairly clear spot kick. Up stepped Otis Khan and he confidently struck the ball home for a 1-0 lead. That was really all it needed in a half in which both sides failed to seriously test the goalkeepers in open play, but where Yeovil gradually grew in confidence in what they were doing.

That showed in the second half when Jake Gray's running saw him fire just wide of the target early in the second half. Southend began to introduced substitutes in an effort to get themselves back into the match, but it was Yeovil who went close as Bevis Mugabi's header from an Otis Khan corner produced a superb save from Mark Oxley to deny him.

The Shrimpers gradually began to turn the screw as the second half went on, with Simon Cox and Jason Demetriou twice being denied by Artur Krysiak in the space of 10 seconds as Cox's attempt was parried into his teammates path. There were some concerns at that point with Krysiak getting lengthy treatment for a hand injury but thankfully he continued. But even he had Tom James to thank twice, as substitute Stephen McLaughlin was denied with shots that beat the goalkeeper, but found Yeovil's left-back on the line, perfectly positioned to keep the ball out.

As Yeovil's players tired and began to sit a little deep, Southend did have the ball in the back of the net from a corner, after a header from Rhys Browne looped up in the air, but as it landed over the line, referee Craig Hicks ruled that Krysiak had been impeded during the secondary play, and the faint cheers from the away section turned to silence. They never quite built up the head of steam that Southend would have hoped for, and the end result was that Yeovil ran out four minutes of injury time by forcing a few free kicks of their own, which easily wound down the clock, pushing them into the Second Round in a month's time.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Southend United 0.

Scorers: Otis Khan (29 mins, 1-0, pen)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
5. Bevis Mugabi 17. Omar Sowunmi 3. Nathan Smith 23. Tom James
10. Jake Gray 4. Matt Worthington 16. James Bailey (Capt)
9. Rhys Browne 14. Sam Surridge 7. Otis Khan

31. Tommy Scott (GK) 6. Keston Davies 8. Connor Smith 11. Ryan Dickson 25. Sid Nelson 30. Alefe Santos (83 mins for Jake Gray)

Southend United:
1 Mark Oxley
24 Jason Demetriou 5 Anton Ferdinand 48 John White 8 Michael Timlin
44 Josh Wright 18 Ryan Leonard 4 Anthony Wordsworth 7 Michael Kightly
9 Marc-Antoine Fortune 10 Simon Cox

6 Michael Turner 11 Stephen McLaughlin (55 mins for Anthony Wordsworth) 13 Nathan Bishop 16 Dru Yearwood 17 Jermaine McGlashan (77 mins for Josh Wright) 31 Theo Robinson 50 Nile Ranger (51 mins for Marc-Antoine Fortune)

Yeovil Bookings: James Bailey (foul, 66 mins), Bevis Mugabi (foul, 80 mins)

Southend United Bookings: Michael Kightly (retaliation, 41 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 50%; Shots: 7; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 3; Fouls: 13.

Southend United Match Statistics: Possession: 50%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 9; Fouls: 16.

Referee: Craig Hicks (Surrey). Assistants: Simon Shaw (Gloucestershire) and Mark Derrien (Dorset). Fourth Official: Dean Treleaven (West Sussex).

Attendance: 2,079 (with 348 Southend United supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape