Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 11/11/2017
Carlisle United 4-0 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Matt Worthington, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 7. Otis Khan, 9. Rhys Browne, 14. Sam Surridge, 16. James Bailey, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 23. Tom James, 25. Sid Nelson,
Subs: 6. Keston Davies, 8. Connor Smith, 10. Jake Gray, 12. Jonny Maddison, 15. Jordan Green, 30. Alefe Santos

Substitutes Used: Jordan Green for Tom James (46 mins), Jake Gray for Rhys Browne (46 mins)

Bookings: Rhys Browne (Foul, 30), Jordan Green (Foul, 72),

Match Report:

Yeovil Town ended up well beaten this afternoon, as Carlisle United thumped them 4-0 at Blundell Park. The Cumbrians were well in command from the 7th minute when Danny Grainger rifled in a rising shot, and went further ahead through Hallam Hope just before the break. Matters got worse when Bevis Mugabi was sent off for violent conduct, with Grainger getting his second in the aftermath from the penalty spot. Shaun Miller fired into the roof of the net from close range to complete a rather miserable afternoon for the Glovers.

The Glovers went into the match making one change to the starting line-up from last weekend's FA Cup game against Southend United. That also made for a formation change, with Jake Gray being swapped out for Sid Nelson as the more recent 4-4-2 became a 5-4-1 (or a 3-4-3 depending on where the four wide players stood in the line at any given time). Former Glovers loanee Tom Parkes sat on the bench for Carlisle, but didn't get onto the pitch.

Early on, Yeovil looked bright, whilst Carlisle's defence were tentative, and Sam Surridge had a great opportunity to score when he squeezed through the back of their defensive line, only to find goalkeeper Jack Bonham getting a touch on the ball to push it away from the striker's reach.

The snag was that Yeovil were also guilty of giving the opposition a bit too much room around the edge of the penalty box, and that allowed Carlisle to create the opening goal. Danny Grainger, who has been a thorn in Yeovil's side on a number of other occasions, turned on the corner of the area and fired in a rocket of a 20 yard shot that flew into the top left hand corner.

Nicky Adams went close with an angled shot, although whether he meant it as a shot or a cross is another matter. The same player was the cause of four minutes worth of first half injury time when he was the victim of a block tackle that saw him limp off the field very slowly after half an hour, forcing the hosts to introduce Shaun Miller. The substitute forced Krysiak into a flying save as he shot from the edge of the box, seeing the ball head out for a corner, as Carlisle began to take a hold of the match.

The dangers were there for Yeovil when Gary Liddle doubled up down the right flank, interchanging passes before putting in a cross that Richie Bennett glanced wide. A minute before the break, that same area of the park saw Yeovil's defence undone far too easily, as Hallam Hope netted from inside the box, with a clever pull-back from the right hand side giving him a clear sight on goal. 2-0 from around 10 yards out and a crucial goal given it went in just before the half time break.

Yeovil came out during the second half, having made a double change, which included another formation change. Tom James and Rhys Browne went off, with the latter having spent part of the first half hobbling a touch, whilst Jake Gray and Jordan Green came on, with the 4-4-2 being reestablished, as Nathan Smith moved wider into the left-back slot, whilst Green went up front.

Hallam Hope went close within a couple of minutes of the restart, as his volley from a back post position went into the side netting when really he should have hit the target. Initially Yeovil looked more defensively stable than they had done in the first period, whilst Otis Khan went close with a narrow angled free kick that was deflected behind for a corner.

But with 17 minutes left, the game was finally taken away from Yeovil on the back of events sparked by a rash challenge. Jordan Green's tackle on Luke Joyce could have easily seen red on its own, but referee Ben Toner decided to just raise a yellow card. In the aftermath of that, both sets of players ended up in a series of pushes and shoves. With a further delay on the back of that Mr Toner consulted with his assistant referee and decided to dismiss Bevis Mugabi - the third Yeovil player to be sent off in three matches, presumably for violent conduct.

Puzzlingly, the referee than pointed to the penalty spot. As play hadn't restarted from the Jordan Green infringement, the reasons for that weren't obvious, but Danny Grainger was happy enough to step up. He fired home for his second goal of the match, and for a 3-0 advantage that Carlisle never looked like letting slip.

In fact, in the final half hour of the game, it was hard to recall Yeovil Town having a single shot of any kind. Their misery was completed when Richie Bennett teed up Shaun Miller, and he fired into the roof of the net in the 91st minute for the fourth and final goal, with the Glovers already well beaten in a miserable afternoon.

Link: 2017-18 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Carlisle United 4 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: Danny Grainger (1-0, 7 mins), Hallam Hope (2-0, 44 mins), Danny Grainger (3-0, 75 mins, pen), Shaun Miller (4-0, 90 mins).

Carlisle United:
1 Jack Bonham
17 James Brown 5 Gary Liddle 29 Clint Hill 3 Danny Grainger
19 Reggie Lambe 4 Luke Joyce 8 Michael Jones 10 Nicholas Adams
9 Hallam Hope 14 Richard Bennett

2 Tom Miller 6 Tom Parkes 15 Sam Cosgrove 18 John O'Sullivan (82 mins for Reggie Lambe) 20 Shaun Miller (29 mins for Nicky Adams) 21 Kelvin Etuhu (82 mins for Hallam Hope) 23 Shamal George

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
5. Bevis Mugabi 17. Omar Sowunmi 25. Sid Nelson 3. Nathan Smith 23. Tom James
9. Rhys Browne 4. Matt Worthington 16. James Bailey (Capt) 7. Otis Khan
14. Sam Surridge

12. Jonny Maddison (GK) 6. Keston Davies 8. Connor Smith 10. Jake Gray (46 mins for Rhys Browne) 15. Jordan Green (46 mins for Tom James) 30. Alefe Santos

Carlisle United Bookings: None.

Yeovil Bookings: Rhys Browne (foul, 30 mins), Jordan Green (foul, 72 mins). Red Card: Bevis Mugabi (violent conduct, 73 mins)

Carlisle United Match Statistics: Possession: 63%; Shots: 13; Shots On Target: 8; Corners: 6; Fouls: 8.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 37%; Shots: 4; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 5; Fouls: 14.

Referee: Ben Toner (Lancashire). Assistants: Barry Gordon (County Durham) and Chris Isherwood (Lancashire). Fourth Official: Scott Oldham (Lancashire).

Attendance: 4,189 (with 91 Yeovil Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape