Match Details: Yeovil Town v Accrington Stanley
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Accrington Stanley

Match Details: 12/08/2017
Yeovil Town 3-2 Accrington Stanley
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Olufela Olomola (27), Francois Zoko (38), Olufela Olomola (39)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 7. Otis Khan, 8. Connor Smith, 9. Rhys Browne, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 16. James Bailey, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 24. Olufela Olomola,
Subs: 2. Daniel Alfei, 6. Keston Davies, 10. Jake Gray, 12. Jonny Maddison, 14. Sam Surridge, 23. Tom James, 30. Alefe Santos

Substitutes Used: Sam Surridge for Olufela Olomola (80 mins)

Bookings: Francois Zoko (Foul, 25)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town won their opening home match of the 2017-18 season this afternoon, although had to see off a dogged Accrington Stanley side at Huish Park. The visitors took the lead through Kayden Jackson, but the home side came back in a 12 minute purple patch that ultimately win the match. Southampton loanee Olufela Olomola bagged the equaliser, before Francois Zoko gave the Glovers the lead. A minute later and a ball over the top saw Olomola bag his second of the match with Yeovil well on top by half time. A second goal for Kayden Jackson and plenty of Stanley pressure made it a nervy end, but Yeovil held on for all three points and their first of the new campaign.

For the third consecutive game, manager Darren Way opted for a formation change to start the fixture. Daniel Alfei and Tom James dropped out of the side and were replaced by Bevis Mugabi at right-back and Olufela Olomola up front as the team reshuffled to fit into a 4-4-2. With no new bodies in the squad the eighteen picked itself once the eleven were selected. Accrington arrived late at Huish Park due to traffic, and with reports of a stomach bug sweeping their camp that saw two players pull out, and a third sat on the bench just to make up numbers.

Yeovil started as the slightly superior side, with a long range shot from Otis Khan the best of their early efforts. But they fell behind just 12 minutes into the match, when a Billy Kee shot from outside the box could only be parried by Artur Krysiak straight into the path of Kayden Jackson. With no-one closing down the striker, he was able to fire the loose ball into the back of the net for a 0-1 advantage.

Although there was initially a good response to that goal, with Connor Smith shooting wide of the post, Yeovil seemed to tie themselves in knots for a short period, trying to work out how to get back into their stride, with misplaced passes not helping. But those nerves were calmed 26 minutes into the match as Olufela Olomola started and finished his first goal for the club. It was his run that saw the ball laid off to Otis Khan and when Khan's shot was blocked, the ball fell loose to the Southampton loanee who ran in to fire home the equalising goal.

At that point, a nervous Yeovil became a confident Yeovil, and it was Accrington on the back foot. Francois Zoko almost made it 2-1 when his shot was parried onto the crossbar by Aaron Chapman. But the Ivorian got his second of the season shortly after that, with Connor Smith starting a move that involved Otis Khan, Olufela Olomola and Rhys Browne before the latter played to Zoko. He needed two attempts to get the ball in the back of the net, but the important thing was it gave the Glovers the lead for the first time in the game.

With Accrington all over the place, a nice bit of Route One gave Yeovil their third within a minute. James Bailey stuck a long ball over the top of the Accrington back line, and Olufela Olomola raced onto it, helped by a flat-footed visiting defence. He slotted home the one-v-one from just outside the box for a 3-1 margin that hadn't looked too likely twelve minutes earlier.

Accrington unsurprisingly made a half time substitution, swapping over their full-backs positions and taking off Tyler Forbes as Reagen Ogle came on. The visitors almost got a goal within a minute of the restart as James Bailey was dispossessed and Jordan Clark shot at goal, but Artur Krysiak got down to save well. However, eight minutes into the half they pulled a goal back, with Omar Sowunmi over-committing himself as Billy Kee slipped a ball through the centre of defence, allowing Kayden Jackson to get behind and score, for the 3-2 scoreline.

Both sides had chances to score, as Otis Khan's free kick was beaten away by keeper Aaron Chapman. But it was very much the visitors on the front foot. Their best chance came when Jordan Clark had a driven shot tipped onto the crossbar by Artur Krysiak, and from the resultant corner Billy Kee's header was stopped by the Yeovil keeper. Mark Hughes headed over a Janoi Donacien cross to keep the pressure up.

It was only in the closing few minutes that Yeovil managed to get themselves in the other half to wind the clock down, as Otis Khan had another attempt blocked by Chapman, whilst a mazey Francois Zoko run was only let down by the final shot that went over the bar. They managed to see out the four minutes of added time, and collect their first points of the 2017-18 season. Thankfully that 20 minute period leading up to half time had won them the match, although Accrington certainly played their part in the second half.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 3 Accrington Stanley 2.

Scorers: Kayden Jackson (0-1, 12 mins), Olufela Olomola (1-1, 27 mins), Francois Zoko (2-1, 38 mins), Olufela Olomola (3-1, 39 mins), Kayden Jackson (3-2, 53 mins).

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Artur Krysiak
5. Bevis Mugabi 17. Omar Sowunmi 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson
9. Rhys Browne 16. James Bailey (Capt) 8. Connor Smith 7. Otis Khan
13. Francois Zoko 24. Olufela Olomola

12. Jonny Maddison 2. Daniel Alfei 6. Keston Davies 10. Jake Gray 14. Sam Surridge (80 mins for Olufela Olomola) 23. Tom James 30. Alefe Santos

Accrington Stanley:
1 Aaron Chapman
2 Tyler Hornby-Forbes 3 Mark Hughes 18 Tom Dallison 4 Janoi Donacien
7 Jordan Clark 28 Seamus Conneely 6 Liam Nolan 11 Sean McConville
29 Billy Kee 10 Kayden Jackson

5 Ben Richards-Everton 8 Scott Brown 9 Jonathan Edwards 14 Mekhi Leacock-McLeod (88 mins for Tom Dallison) 16 Simon Bloch Jorgensen 17 Erico Sousa 20 Reagan Ogle (46 mins for Tyler Hornby-Forbes)

Yeovil Bookings: Francois Zoko (foul, 25 mins)

Accrington Stanley Bookings: Reagan Ogle (foul, 54 mins), Tom Dallison (foul, 66 mins), Janoi Donacien (foul, 83 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 48%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 1; Fouls: 17.

Accrington Stanley Match Statistics: Possession: 52%; Shots: 11; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 9; Fouls: 11.

Referee: Christopher Sarginson (Staffordshire). Assistants: Marvyn Amphlett (Worcestershire) and Ben Cobb (Dorset). Fourth Official: Dean Treleaven (West Sussex).

Attendance: 2,464 (with 88 Accrington Stanley supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape