Match Details: Yeovil Town v Milton Keynes Dons
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Milton Keynes Dons

Match Details: 06/12/2016
Yeovil Town 4-1 Milton Keynes Dons
Checkatrade Trophy Second Round

Yeovil Goals: Kevin Dawson (49), Francois Zoko (62), Alex Lacey (73), Ben Whitfield (79)

Yeovil Line-Up: 2. Liam Shephard, 3. Nathan Smith, 6. Alex Lacey, 7. Kevin Dawson, 11. Ryan Dickson, 12. Jonny Maddison, 13. Francois Zoko, 16. Matt Butcher, 19. Tahvon Campbell, 23. Ryan Hedges, 28. Ben Whitfield
Subs: 1. Artur Krysiak, 8. Alex Lawless, 9. Tom Eaves, 10. Otis Khan, 14. Josh Ezewele, 15. Kyle Copp, 18. Omar Sowunmi,

Substitutes Used: Tom Eaves for Francois Zoko (79 mins), Alex Lawless for Kevin Dawson (82 mins), Otis Khan for Ryan Hedges (85 mins)

Bookings: Tahvon Campbell (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 35), Nathan Smith (Foul, 45)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained a route into the Third Round of the EFL Trophy tonight, as a second half comeback secured a 4-1 win over Milton Keynes Dons. At the break they trailed to an own goal from Alex Lacey when his back header saw miscommunication between him and Jonny Maddison. During the second period, it was the tail of two penalties, as Kevin Dawson and Francois Zoko converted spot kicks following a foul and a handball respectively. Alex Lacey then redeemed himself by scoring a fine volley at the other end of the pitch before a Ben Whitfield header finished the match off, with the latter two goals being netted whilst MK Dons were down to ten men, with two fouls from Samir Carruthers seeing him fail to finish the match.

The Glovers went into the match making four changes to their starting line-up, all of which were like-for-like swaps from the team that played against Crawley Town. Goalkeeper Jonny Maddison has played in all of the club's EFL Trophy matches so far and he continued that theme as he displaced Artur Krysiak. Midfielder Alex Lawless had only just returned from a groin injury, so the decision to rest him made sense as Matt Butcher came in. Then up front, Tahvon Campbell and Francois Zoko were given starts as Otis Khan and Tom Eaves put their feet up. They faced an MK Dons side that had made nine changes to their Saturday starting eleven, with the likes of Ed Upson and Dean Bowditch not even making the teamsheet, whilst Kieran Agard and Joe Walsh warmed the bench.

The first half was largely a non-event in terms of chances - a Kevin Dawson shot went well over the bar, whilst Ryan Colclough's fairly tame effort was saved by Jonny Maddison. That was largely it, with the exception of one of those 'oh no!' moments midway through the first half. A cross into the box by Ryan Colclough towards Kabongo Tshimanga was easily intercepted by Alex Lacey who headed it back towards his keeper's goal. Unfortunately for both himself and Maddison, the keeper had already moved off his line for the ball, meaning that Lacey's header missed his teammate and landed in the back of the net.

Based on the first half coverage, there was a distinct possibility that might be the theme of the night. Neither side was creating too much in terms of proper chances. Tshimanga got the ball in the net for the visitors but an offside flag and a whistle clearly meant that wasn't going to stand. At the other end, the Glovers seemed to be back in their 'nearly' mode, with final third balls not quite finding their men in a way that would create a chance worth taking. 0-1 at the interval.

The second half was a different kettle of fish, sparked by an early penalty decision. Paul Downing tussled with Tahvon Campbell inside the box, and rather clumsily clipped the West Bromwich Albion loanee, with referee Lee Swabey pointing to the spot. Up stepped Kevin Dawson who fired the spot kick home, right in the corner where keeper Lee Nicholls had no hope of getting near it. That equaliser seemed to galvanise the Glovers and having looked a bit too tentative in the first period, they were suddenly looking more like the team that had thrashed Crawley on the weekend.

Samir Carruthers was rightly booked for hacking down Ben Whitfield as they struggled to check his runs, and by the hour mark Yeovil had themselves a second penalty, with a Jack Hendry arm judged to have handled inside the box. Unsually, the ball was handed across to Francois Zoko who took the attitude of keeping his eyes on the MK Dons keeper as he ran to take his kick, and when the keeper didn't significantly move, rolled the ball into the corner for a placed spot kick and a 2-1 lead.

MK Dons were finding their evening was slipping away, and Ben Whitfield's second half runs had a lot to do with that. Jack Hendry became the second visiting player to be cautioned for bringing him down, and then when Samir Carruthers brought him down a minute later, referee Lee Swabey produced a second yellow card for Carruthers, to reduce his side to ten men, and to ensure that their game unravelled even further.

Then came the goal of the night, and from a slightly unexpected source. Kevin Dawson had won a free kick that was put into the box. The ball dropped loose to Alex Lacey, who effectively levelled up his evening by lashing the ball into the top right hand corner of the net, and to give his side a 3-1 lead that was unlikely to be clawed back. Not that the goal that followed it was too shabby either - six minutes later Ryan Dickson produced a peach of a cross into the box, and running in with perfect timing was Ben Whitfield, who finished off the scoring for the night with a well planted header, and to ensure his side go through into the Third Round which takes place early next year.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 4 Milton Keynes Dons 1.

Scorers: Alex Lacey (0-1, 24 mins, own goal), Kevin Dawson (1-1, 49 mins, penalty), Francois Zoko (2-1, 62 mins, penalty), Alex Lacey (3-1, 73 mins), Ben Whitfield (4-1, 79 mins)

Yeovil Town:
12. Jonny Maddison
2. Liam Shephard 6. Alex Lacey 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson (Capt)
7. Kevin Dawson 16. Matt Butcher 28. Ben Whitfield
13. Francois Zoko 19. Tahvon Campbell 23. Ryan Hedges

Substitutes: 1. Artur Krysiak 8. Alex Lawless (82 mins for Kevin Dawson) 9. Tom Eaves (79 mins for Francois Zoko) 10. Otis Khan (85 mins for Ryan Hedges) 14. Josh Ezewele 15. Kyle Copp 18. Omar Sowumni

Milton Keynes Dons:
19. Lee Nicholls
12. George B Williams 16. Jack Hendry 23. Paul Downing 24. Ben Tilney
11. George C Williams 17. Daniel Powell
49. Ryan Colclough 25. Chuks Aneke 7. Samir Carruthers
27. Kabongo Tshimanga

1. David Martin 2. George Baldock (70 mins for Kabongo Tshimanga) 4. Joe Walsh 10. Ben Reeves (58 mins for Ryan Colclough) 14. Kieran Agard (58 mins for Chuks Aneke) 26. Connor Furlong 30. Brandon Thomas-Asante

Yeovil Bookings: Tahvon Campbell (35 mins, retaliation), Nathan Smith (45 mins, foul)

Milton Keynes Dons Bookings: Samir Carruthers (57 mins, foul), Jack Hendry (67 mins, foul). Red Card: Samir Carruthers (68 mins, second bookable offence)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 61%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 6; Fouls: 18.

Milton Keynes Dons Match Statistics: Possession: 39%; Shots: 5; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 2; Fouls: 11.

Referee: Lee Swabey (Devon). Assistants: Andrew Laver (Hampshire) and Colin Lymer (Hampshire). Fourth Official: Brett Huxtable (Devon).

Attendance: 1,308 (with 92 MK Dons supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape