Match Details: Solihull Moors v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Solihull Moors v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 15/11/2016
Solihull Moors 1-1 Yeovil Town
FA Cup First Round Replay

Yeovil Goals: Francois Zoko (93)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Liam Shephard, 4. Matthew Dolan, 6. Alex Lacey, 7. Kevin Dawson, 9. Tom Eaves, 10. Otis Khan, 11. Ryan Dickson, 23. Ryan Hedges, 26. Darren Ward, 28. Ben Whitfield
Subs: 5. Bevis Mugabi, 12. Jonny Maddison, 13. Francois Zoko, 14. Josh Ezewele, 16. Matt Butcher, 18. Omar Sowunmi, 19. Tahvon Campbell,

Substitutes Used: Francois Zoko for Otis Khan (76 mins), Matt Butcher for Ben Whitfield (77 mins)

Bookings: Matt Butcher (Foul, 89), Francois Zoko (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 97)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town crashed out of the FA Cup at the First Round stage on Tuesday night, after National League side Solihull Moors beat them in a penalty shoot-out. Across 210 minutes worth of football in the two ties, the Glovers couldn't stamp their superiority on the game, despite taking the lead in the Replay when substitute Francois Zoko crashed home a superb strike off the underside of the crossbar, three minutes into injury time. Six minutes later, Akwasi Asante's penalty levelled the scores after Liam Shephard was judged to have fouled Omari Sterling-James, and that meant that the game ended up with a set of penalty kicks deciding the tie. Solihull's spot kicks were perfect whilst Ryan Dickson and Tom Eaves failed to convert theirs, giving the home side a trip to Luton Town in the next round, whilst the Glovers will spend that Saturday Christmas shopping.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes to their starting line-up. Kevin Dawson had completed his two match suspension for two separate offences, and went straight back into the side, with Matt Butcher dropping to the bench. Ben Whitfield got a reward for his weekend injury time goal against Stevenage by getting a start, as Bevis Mugabi dropped to the bench, with Liam Shephard dropping into the back four. Meanwhile Nathan Smith was serving a one match ban for picking up five bookings and he was replaced by Ryan Dickson, who was getting his first game time for six weeks.

Solihull's second biggest crowd of the 2016-17 season meant that hundreds of fans from both teams were still outside the turnstiles when referee Carl Boyeson decided to kick off. Early attempts for Ryan Hedges, plus Shepherd Murombedzi and Jamey Osborne for the home side all went wide of the target. It took quarter of an hour for the Glovers to start to look threatening, with Kevin Dawson's cross into the box finding Ben Whitfield, but his attempt on goal was well blocked by the goalkeeper. That was followed by a corner kick that Tom Eaves headed back across goal, with Jordan Gough having to head clear close to his own goal line, but in truth this was fairly basic defending.

Yeovil looked at their best and most dangerous when they got the ball down on the deck and used the trickery of players like Ryan Hedges to run at the Solihull defenders. The problem was that didn't happen enough. On a night with waves of drizzly rain, the pitch was slippery and far too often the ball ended up going high in the air. Otis Khan had one of the better efforts on goal, with the ball being somewhat spooned away by Nathan Vaughan for a corner. There was also a frantic goalmouth scramble that led to a Tom Eaves attempt on goal being blocked by a sea of bodies before it got hacked away. Solihull were being kept fairly quiet with only one deflected Andy Brown effort coming off the body of Alex Lacey causing some concern, before it looped into the arms of Artur Krysiak.

Initially, the second half started well with a higher tempo from the Glovers that saw Ryan Hedges have a shot on goal that deflected out for a corner. In theory an injury to Solihull's goalkeeper should have helped their cause - Nathan Vaughan shanked a goal kick into the side stand 65 minutes into the match, and it seemed likely that his standing foot had buckled under him - he couldn't continue, meaning Daniel Lewis was pushed into action.

As the half wore on, it was the home side that were doing most of the attacking. Omari Sterling-James had forced Artur Krysiak into a strong save, and as the game crept into five minutes of injury time - mainly for the Vaughan injury - Krysiak came to Yeovil's rescue on three separate occasions, blocking shots from Shepherd Murombedzi and Sterling-James again, before launching himself instinctively at a close range Liam Daly follow-up attempt that should have been in the back of the net, were it not for one of the best saves the Pole has made since he signed for Yeovil Town.

That took the game into injury time, and that was an additional period where Yeovil thought they had initially got the upper hand. Three minutes into the half hour, Francois Zoko went on a strong run through the centre-left channel of Solihull's half and unleashed a shot from the edge of the box that was completely unstoppable - crashing in off the underside of the bar for a 1-0 lead. It was everything that the game had lacked up until that point.

Zoko could have provided Yeovil with their means to double their lead just two minutes later when he set up Ryan Hedges with a clever pass. However after rounding the substitute goalkeeper, Hedges ran out of room on the pitch and angle on his shot to put the ball into the back of the net. That moment was to prove significant when six minutes after Yeovil's opener, Solihull got themselves a penalty. Supposedly, Liam Shephard had fouled Omari Sterling-James inside the area - video replays suggested referee Carl Boyeson had been duped - but Solihull top scorer Akwasi Asante didn't care and slotted a low spot kick home.

As Extra Time concluded, inevitably nerves and tiredness crept in, and the game fizzled out a bit - Yeovil did have one half-chance to win it, as Ryan Hedges attempted to score from a narrow angle, but his shot hit the outside of the goalframe and that was that. Yeovil lost the toss for the penalty shoot-out, meaning that Solihull chose the end where most of their fans were congregated, and they got an early lift when Ryan Dickson missed the opening spot kick.

With Solihull converting perfect penalties, that meant that when Tom Eaves had his strike saved, Omari Sterling-James got the responsibility of the home side's fourth spot kick, and we never got to find out who Yeovil's final taker would be before the Moors coaching staff and substitutes raced onto the pitch in celebration. Based on the number of chances created, it was hard to argue with Solihull's win, even if they were a bit fortunate in the way they got their in-game penalty on the night. The Glovers rarely looked fluent in their play, whilst the 'non-league environment' of Damson Park seemed to inspire the National League side more as the night went on.

Final Score: Solihull Moors 1 Yeovil Town 1. (Solihull win 4-2 on penalties)

Scorers: Francois Zoko (93 mins, 0-1), Akwasi Asante (99 mins, 1-1)

Penalty Kicks: Ryan Dickson (MISS, 0-0), Jack Byrne (Scored, 1-0), Kevin Dawson (Scored, 1-1), Eddie Jones (Scored, 2-1), Tom Eaves (SAVED, 2-1), Jordan Gough (Scored, 3-1), Francois Zoko (Scored, 3-2), Omari Sterling-James (Scored, 4-2).

Solihull Moors:
23. Nathan Vaughan
3. Connor Franklin 6. Jordan Gough 4. Liam Daly 2. Shepherd Murombedzi
15. Jordan Fagbola 8. Jack Byrne 20. Jamie Osborne
11. Darryl Knights 9. Andy Brown 22. Omari Sterling-James

1. Daniel Lewis (66 mins for Nathan Vaughan) 7. Akwasi Asante (95 mins for Andy Brown), 12. Eddie Jones (80 mins for Darryl Knights) 14. Jean-Yves Koue Niate 19. Harry White 24. Lewis Hayden 26. Joel Dielna

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Liam Shephard 6. Alex Lacey 26. Darren Ward (Capt) 11. Ryan Dickson
7. Kevin Dawson 4. Matt Dolan 28. Ben Whitfield
10. Otis Khan 9. Tom Eaves 23. Ryan Hedges

Substitutes: 12. Jonny Maddison 5. Bevis Mugabi 13. Francois Zoko (76 mins for Otis Khan) 14. Josh Ezewele 16. Matt Butcher (77 mins for Ben Whitfield) 18. Omar Sowumni 19. Tahvon Campbell

Solihull Moors Bookings: Jamey Osborne (80 mins, foul), Akwasi Asante (100 mins, excessive celebration), Liam Daly (114 mins, foul)

Yeovil Bookings: Matt Butcher (89 mins, foul), Francois Zoko (97 mins, diving),

Solihull Moors Match Statistics: Possession: 55%; Shots: 22; Shots On Target: 9; Corners: 10; Fouls: 10.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 45%; Shots: 15; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 8; Fouls: 19.

Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire). Assistants: Rob Smith (Hertfordshire) and Steven Copeland (Merseyside). Fourth Official: Ian Dudley (Nottinghamshire).

Attendance: 1,460 (no segregation of supporters, so no away headcount).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape