Match Details: Exeter City v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Exeter City v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 25/03/2017
Exeter City 3-3 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Francois Zoko (62), Shayon Harrison (70), Alex Lacey (78)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Liam Shephard, 4. Matthew Dolan, 5. Alex Lacey, 6. Bevis Mugabi, 7. Kevin Dawson, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 16. Matt Butcher, 28. Ben Whitfield, 39. Shayon Harrison
Subs: 9. Tom Eaves, 12. Jonny Maddison, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 19. Brandon Goodship, 22. Ollie Bassett, 31. Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, 32. Tom James,

Substitutes Used: Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro for Shayon Harrison (77 mins), Tom Eaves for Francois Zoko (89 mins), Brandon Goodship for Ben Whitfield (90 mins)

Bookings: Matthew Dolan (Foul, 45), Artur Krysiak (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 73)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town threw away a three goal lead in this afternoon's match against Exeter City this afternoon. Having been 3-0 up with two minutes remaining, the Glovers conceded three times to be left with a disappointing 3-3 draw. The match saw all six goals scored in the second half and it seemed to be all Yeovil when Francois Zoko slotted home from a Matt Dolan through ball, before Tottenham Hotspur loanee Shayon Harrison scored his first ever goal for the club. The Glovers were cruising when Alex Lacey headed home a Dolan free kick, but from 88 minutes onwards it fell apart for them. David Wheeler pulled one back and that seemed to spark panic as Troy Brown headed home during the first minute of injury time, before old boy Reuben Reid equalised to steal a draw at the death.

The Glovers went into the match making just one change to their starting line-up from last weekend's match against Accrington Stanley. Tottenham Hotspur striker Shayon Harrison was preferred for Tom Eaves, in what was the only change to the entire eighteen. In the Exeter line-up, former Glovers Reuben Reid and Joel Grant were only given places on the bench, whilst for Yeovil Town Artur Krysiak was between the sticks against his old club.

The opening 20 minutes saw both sides struggling to create anything that would test the goalkeepers. Kevin Dawson put over the crossbar, whilst Alex Lacey was kept busy by having to block out two goalbound attempts from Ollie Watkins and Jake Taylor. Taylor then fired wide of the target, with Exeter looking impressive on the break, but thankfully having little to show for it.

As the half progressed both sides gradually began to make the keepers work for it, with Ollie Watkins seeing a deflected shot saved by Krysiak before Ben Whitfield had a long distance effort saved by Christy Pym. The best chance of the half though fell to Shayon Harrison. A set piece saw Francois Zoko flick the ball into the Spurs loanee's path but when he tried to convert, Pym clawed the ball away superbly for a corner. That was as close as it came, with the home side's chances fizzling out a bit, perhaps not helped by them losing Jake Taylor to injury just before the break, replaced by David Wheeler.

For such a quiet first half, there were no signs that we'd see an extraordinary second period, although Bevis Mugabi's huge slice of the ball almost caused an own goal during the opening minute of the second period, leaving Krysiak having to save his blushes by palming the ball away from his goal. Krysiak was also busy when he saved low down to his right from an Ollie Watkins shot as Exeter broke, and then again from Ryan Harley, before he beat away another Watkins attempt.

With the home side clearly on top, it was a slight surprise when Yeovil Town took a 62nd minute lead. All they'd managed in the second period was a penalty appeal when Shayon Harrison and Jordan Moore-Taylor tangled in the box, with referee Darren Drysdale ignoring the loud protests. But when Matty Dolan threaded a superb through ball to Francois Zoko he had made a clever run off the ball, leaving him with the chance to finish into the bottom corner. 0-1 up.

Almost straight from kick-off, and Artur Krysiak could have scored a goal against his old club. His long kick up field saw Christy Pym way out of position and having to scamble back to palm the ball away for a corner - you could only imagine the scenes if that had gone in on his old stomping ground. Exeter made a substitution and a formation change as they switched to three at the back, introducing former Glover Reuben Reid for a left-back, in a rather attacking change.

That looked to have backfired when Yeovil doubled their lead. Kevin Dawson and Matt Dolan combined to force a corner, which saw Shayon Harrison's header saved. But a minute later, Ben Whitfield gave Harrison a second great opportunity as his strong shot was parried up in the air by Pym, leaving Harrison the chance to nod home the rebound for a 2-0 lead.

Yeovil Town appeared to switch to a 4-3-3 around this point, presumably to counteract Exeter's own change, whilst goalscorer Harrison was withdrawn for Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro. And they appeared to have sown the game up when Lloyd James fouled the new substitute on 78 minutes. Matty Dolan's free kick was swung in, and Alex Lacey headed home for a 3-0 lead. With 12 minutes left, game over surely?

The Glovers could have gone four up when Akpa Akpro had his shot saved by Pym, but with two minutes remaining, Exeter got themselves a tiny lifeline. Ryan Harley's shot was touched Reuben Reid inside the box, and the loose ball fell to David Wheeler who fired home for what should have been at 1-3 and on 88 minutes, merely a consolation goal.

Tom Eaves was brought on for Francois Zoko, and just as the clock ticked around to five minutes of signalled injury time, Exeter got their second goal of the afternoon. Lloyd James put in a corner into the box, and Troy Brown headed home for a 2-3 scoreline. The capitulation was then completed when Jack Stacey's cross into the box was fired home by Reuben Reid 93 minutes into the match. From 3-0 up, to a 3-3 draw in 238 seconds. The only wonder was that Yeovil held out the final couple of minutes and didn't end up losing the game, as their shellshocked players crumbled in front of what was by now a jubilant St James Park crowd. Two points undeniably dropped - again.

Link: 2016-17 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Exeter City 3 Yeovil Town 3.

Scorers: Francois Zoko (0-1, 62 mins), Shayon Harrison (0-2, 70 mins), Alex Lacey (0-3, 78 mins), David Wheeler (1-3, 88 mins), Troy Brown (2-3, 91 mins), Reuben Reid (3-3, 93 mins).

Exeter City:
30 Christy Pym
31 Pierce Sweeney 39 Troy Brown 15 Jordan Moore-Taylor 3 Craig Woodman
25 Jake Taylor 4 Lloyd James 6 Jordan Tillson 7 Ryan Harley
14 Ollie Watkins 19 Liam McAlinden

1 Robert Olejnik 11 David Wheeler (45 mins for Jake Taylor) 12 Joel Grant 16 Matt Oakley 28 Jack Stacey (57 mins for Liam McAlinden) 29 Luke Croll 33 Reuben Reid (69 mins for Craig Woodman)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Liam Shephard 6. Bevis Mugabi 5. Alex Lacey 11. Ryan Dickson (Capt)
7. Kevin Dawson 16. Matt Butcher 4. Matt Dolan 28. Ben Whitfield
39. Shayon Harrison 13. Francois Zoko

Substitutes: 12. Johnny Maddison 9. Tom Eaves (89 mins for Francois Zoko) 17. Omar Sowunmi 19. Brandon Goodship (90 mins for Ben Whitfield) 22. Ollie Bassett 31. Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro (77 mins for Shayon Harrison) 32. Tom James

Exeter City Bookings: Lloyd James (77 mins, foul)

Yeovil Bookings: Matt Dolan (45 mins, foul), Artur Krysiak (73 mins, timewasting)

Exeter City Match Statistics: Possession: 53%; Shots: 16; Shots On Target: 8; Corners: 5; Fouls: 10.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 47%; Shots: 12; Shots On Target: 9; Corners: 5; Fouls: 14.

Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire). Assistants: John Flynn (Oxfordshire) and Timothy Wood (Gloucestershire). Fourth Official: Brett Huxtable (Devon).

Attendance: 5,492 (with 835 Yeovil Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape