Match Details: Yeovil Town v Cambridge United
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Cambridge United

Match Details: 14/02/2017
Yeovil Town 1-1 Cambridge United
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Francois Zoko (78)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Liam Shephard, 4. Matthew Dolan, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Alex Lawless, 9. Tom Eaves, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 16. Matt Butcher, 28. Ben Whitfield,
Subs: 12. Jonny Maddison, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 19. Brandon Goodship, 24. Owain Jones, 32. Tom James, 39. Shayon Harrison

Substitutes Used: Omar Sowunmi for Tom Eaves (54 mins), Owain Jones for Ben Whitfield (61 mins)

Bookings: Kevin Dawson (Foul, 48), Alex Lawless (Foul, 59)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town suffered a heavy dose of deja vu tonight, as they suffered a late equaliser at Huish Park. Another day, another 1-1 draw and once again the Glovers took the lead through Francois Zoko as he scored his 10th goal of the 2016-17 season as he converted an Alex Lawless ball across the area with just 12 minutes remaining. Having dominated the first half, Yeovil really should have been ahead before then, but Cambridge were the better side in the second period, and they equalised through substitute Barry Corr in the 89th minute to give Yeovil their sixth draw in their last nine games, leaving them still stuck in 16th place.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes to their starting line-up, with two of those in defence. Darren Ward's problems in not being able to play two games a week meant he dropped out of the squad, but he was also joined by Nathan Smith in the stand, with him having suffered a dead leg on Saturday. That meant that Bevis Mugabi and Matt Butcher came in as two centre-backs. The only other change saw Kevin Dawson come back from suspension, with Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro dropping out of the squad, meaning that Ben Whitfield moved further up the line.

The first half was one in which Yeovil Town had almost exclusively the goalmouth chances, but as with far too many matches this season, the final product didn't quite make it. Perhaps part of the problem was that the chances were falling to unexpected sources, with the earliest pair being met by Bevis Mugabi. He sent a Ben Whitfield free kick wide, and then followed that up with a swirling driven shot that Cambridge keeper Will Norris struggled with and palmed away. The visitors only had one first half attempt on goal of any consequence, with Piero Mingoia's move seeing him cut inside from the flank, but with Artur Krysiak comfortably saving.

Gradually Yeovil began to build up a head of steam, through their strikers. Tom Eaves beat two Cambridge defenders before firing a shot that fizzed across the goal. A Ben Whitfield free kick almost crept in at the near post with Norris flapping a bit at the ball and spooning it out for a corner. From that set piece, Tom Eaves headed over the bar, with Ryan Dickson having recycled play. Zoko had another effort blocked by a Cambridge body, and then an Eaves effort went wide. The main issue was that none of these were absolutely nailed on efforts or ones that truly stretched the keeper. It was dominance, but only of sorts.

The second half saw Yeovil swap the two wide men, with Ben Whitfield moving onto the left flank as Francois Zoko took the right. But the visitors came out looking far more lively than before. Two Luke Berry efforts saw one go well wide, whilst another came off Bevis Mugabi's leg with Artur Krysiak doing well to deal with the change in path. Piero Mingoia went dangerously close when he fired an effort inches wide of the post, and with the game getting increasingly scrappy, the whole pattern of the game seemed to be favouring Cambridge.

Except that unexpectedly, it favoured Yeovil. Largely against the second half run of play, they took the lead through Francois Zoko. Ryan Dickson's ball into the box saw Alex Lawless take what may have been a cross or may have been a shot, but his ball into the area allowed Zoko the chance to convert a good poacher's goal for his 10th of the 2016-17 season, and to maintain his good personal form.

Could Yeovil hang on this time for the win? It took just 11 minutes to find out the answer was no. Cambridge had been on top for much of the second period, but they turned up that pressure with the experienced Barry Corr entering the field as a late substitute. A ball into the box saw defender Leon Legge flick the ball on, and in the right place at the right time, Corr provided an 89th minute equaliser for Cambridge and to provide an action replay of Saturday's late drama. Two points undoubtedly dropped again, leaving the Glovers still in that 16th place spot that seems to be of their own in recent weeks. On recent evidence, that isn't likely to change too significantly.

Link: 2016-17 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Cambridge United 1.

Scorers: Francois Zoko (78 mins, 1-0), Barry Corr (89 mins, 1-1)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Liam Shephard 5. Bevis Mugabi 16. Matt Butcher 11. Ryan Dickson (Capt)
7. Kevin Dawson 8. Alex Lawless 4. Matt Dolan
28. Ben Whitfield 9. Tom Eaves 13. Francois Zoko

Substitutes: 12. Johnny Maddison 17. Omar Sowunmi (54 mins for Tom Eaves) 19. Brandon Goodship 24. Owain Jones (61 mins for Ben Whitfield) 32. Tom James 39. Shayon Harrison

Cambridge United:
1. Will Norris
27. Leon Davies 5. Mark Roberts 6. Leon Legge 19. Jake Carroll
16. Liam O'Neil 8. Luke Berry 22. Paul Lewis
7. Piero Mingoia 26. Uche Ikpeazu 18. George Maris

4. James Dunne 9. Barry Corr (74 mins for Uche Ikpeazu) 10. Ben Williamson 11. Harrison Dunk (80 mins for George Maris) 12. Scott Wharton 13. David Gregory 20. Max Clark (67 mins for Paul Lewis)

Yeovil Bookings: Kevin Dawson (foul, 48 mins), Alex Lawless (foul, 59 mins)

Cambridge United Bookings: Liam O'Neil (foul, 57 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 46%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 5; Fouls: 12.

Cambridge United Match Statistics: Possession: 54%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 8; Corners: 2; Fouls: 16.

Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon). Assistants: Steven Plane (Worcestershire) and Adrian Tranter (Dorset). Fourth Official: Marc Whaley (Devon).

Attendance: 2,847 (with 118 Cambridge United supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape