Match Details: Yeovil Town v Blackpool
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Blackpool

Match Details: 03/09/2016
Yeovil Town 0-3 Blackpool
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Liam Shephard, 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Matthew Dolan, 7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Alex Lawless, 9. Tom Eaves, 10. Otis Khan, 11. Ryan Dickson, 16. Matt Butcher, 18. Izale McLeod,
Subs: 12. Jonny Maddison, 15. Kyle Copp, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 19. Tahvon Campbell, 20. Joe Lea, 22. Ollie Bassett, 28. Ben Whitfield

Substitutes Used: Tahvon Campbell for Otis Khan (61 mins), Ben Whitfield for Kevin Dawson (71 mins)

Bookings: Liam Shephard (Foul, 82)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town were comfortably beaten this afternoon, as they lost 0-3 against Blackpool at Huish Park. After a fairly inert but relatively even first half, the Tangerines took full second half control as Colin Daniel bagged two goals, with a 30 yard strike and a run behind the Glovers defence giving him his brace. Just prior to the second and crucial goal, Blackpool even had the luxury of missing a penalty, with Armand Gnanduillet wasting the opportunity high over the crossbar. But even he managed to find the mark when he converted three minutes from time, to ensure that Yeovil Town entered the relegation zone for the first time this season, with only Cambridge United propping them up.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes from the line-up who had beaten Portsmouth in the EFL Trophy in midweek. None of the swaps were too surprising - Bevis Mugabi finally served the one match suspension the odd EFL Trophy rules delayed, and he was replaced by Ryan Dickson who was returning from an ankle injury. Kevin Dawson was rested in midweek and he returned to replace Ben Whitfield. Then in goal, Artur Krysiak returned to see Jonny Maddison sit on the bench. Ryan Hedges was still on international duty, but Tahvon Campbell had returned from illness to sit on the bench.

The first half was a flat affair from the point of view of both sides. But at least it was relatively even. Both sides struggled to create meaningful chances, with the corner count the only truly significant statistic. Tom Aldred headed wide of the target, whilst at the other end Otis Khan gave Yeovil their first attempt, even if he sliced it well wide. Blackpool had the edge on meaningful attempts, with Brad Potts putting the ball wide from close range, after a goalmouth scramble saw him get a loose ball. Then Armand Gnanduillet fired well wide after Colin Daniel set him free. Yeovil managed just one futher attempt on goal, but Izale McLeod's shot from outside the box was an easy one to save. The half time score was ultimately a totally deserved 0-0, but the concern was that the visitors were getting slightly the better opportunities.

The second period opened up with more of the same. Yeovil had changed from their trusted 4-3-3 formation to a 4-4-2 in the closing stages of the first half, but it hadn't really altered their attacking intent, which was generally flat throughout the afternoon. At the other end, Blackpool were worryingly ramping up their attempts - Artur Krysiak had to palm the ball away from a Colin Daniel shot which skidded off the surface nastily, and then the visitors missed a huge chance as Brad Potts headed wide from a Daniel cross, with the goal gaping.

No surprise then that on the hour mark, Blackpool took the lead. Colin Daniel had been the creator of the majority of Blackpool's chances, and perhaps he decided that if his team mates were not going to convert his chances, he might as well have a go himself. Letting fly from 30 yards out, the ball flew past Artur Krysiak for a superb opening goal - if you were a Tangerines fan of course. 0-1 down.

That goal was the cue for two reactive substitutions. Yeovil brought on Tahvon Campbell for Otis Khan to try to address their lack of attacking intent. Meanwhile Blackpool did what all good away sides do when they're a goal up at Huish Park - took off striker Kyle Vassell and brought on midfielder Bright Osayi-Samuel, giving them a more defensive 4-5-1 formation. Not that this stopped their superiority - having penalty appeals turned down when Brad Potts was tackled by Matt Butcher. When it wasn't given, no surprise to find referee Graham Horwood decide not to give Yeovil a blatant free kick in a dangerous position just 60 seconds later, as a Blackpool player tried to take Tahvon Campbell's shirt home as a present. Nothing given either way.

Two chances for Matt Dolan - both from distance - gave Yeovil some hope with Sam Slocombe misjudging the first badly as he scooped it for a corner. Then Slocombe did better with a second effort after substitute Ben Whitfield - on for Kevin Dawson - set him up. But with under ten minutes remaining, it was Blackpool who had the opportunity to seal the game when substitute Bright Osayi-Samuel was fouled by Liam Shephard, for a fairly uncontroversial penalty kick.

Yeovil thought they had a let-off when Armand Gnanduillet 'did a Chris Waddle' by flying the spot kick well over the crossbar, but a lack of concentration after that mini high point saw Blackpool finally take advantage less than a minute later. Brad Potts threaded the ball through to Colin Daniel and he was given far too much room down the right flank to be able to run with the ball and cut through, finishing well for a 0-2 lead.

Four minutes later, things began to get rather messy as Blackpool increased their lead further. Brad Potts crossed into the box, and that gave Armand Gnanduillet the chance to redeem himself following his earlier spot kick failure. In plenty of space inside the box, he got himself an easy tap-in, and Yeovil were truly dead and buried at 0-3. The full time boos around the ground were unsurprising. Whilst the first half was hardly clever, the second period fell well below what would be expected, and six matches into the 2016-17 season, Yeovil find themselves in the relegation zone for the first time. They will be urgently wanting to address that to avoid any repeat of recent seasons.

Link: 2016-17 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Blackpool 3.

Scorers: Colin Daniel (0-1, 59 mins), Colin Daniel (0-2, 83 mins), Armand Gnanduillet (0-3, 87 mins)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Liam Shephard 16. Matt Butcher, 3. Nathan Smith, 11. Ryan Dickson (Capt)
7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Alex Lawless, 4. Matt Dolan,
10. Otis Khan, 18. Izale McLeod, 9. Tom Eaves

Substitutes: 12. Jonny Maddison 15. Kyle Copp 17. Omar Sowunmi 19. Tahvon Campbell (61 mins for Otis Khan) 20. Joe Lea 22. Ollie Bassett 28. Ben Whitfield (71 mins for Kevin Dawson)

1. Sam Slocombe
2. Kelvin Mellor 5. Clark Robertson 15. Tom Aldred 3. Andy Taylor
8. Brad Potts 4. Jim McAlister 22. Danny Pugh 23. Colin Daniel
7. Kyle Vassell 31. Armand Gnanduillet

26. Michael Cain 16. Eddie Nolan 27. Dean Lyness 6. Will Aimson 11. Henry Cameron 17. Mark Yeates (89 mins for Brad Potts) 21. Bright Osayi-Samuel (61 mins for Kyle Vassell)

Yeovil Bookings: Liam Shephard (foul, 82 mins)

Blackpool Bookings: Kyle Vassell (foul, 45 mins), Colin Daniel (80 mins, foul), Tom Aldred (foul, 90 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 43%; Shots: 6; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 5; Fouls: 13.

Blackpool Match Statistics: Possession: 57%; Shots: 17; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 10; Fouls: 21.

Referee: Graham Horwood (Bedfordshire). Assistants: Gavin Muge (Bedfordshire) and Andrew Quin (Devon). Fourth Official: Timothy Wood (Gloucestershire).

Attendance: 3,108 (with 190 Blackpool supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape