Match Details: Mansfield Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Mansfield Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 16/08/2016
Mansfield Town 1-0 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Matthew Dolan, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Alex Lawless, 9. Tom Eaves, 10. Otis Khan, 11. Ryan Dickson, 16. Matt Butcher, 23. Ryan Hedges
Subs: 6. Alex Lacey, 12. Jonny Maddison, 13. Francois Zoko, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 19. Tahvon Campbell, 20. Joe Lea, 22. Ollie Bassett,

Substitutes Used: Alex Lacey for Ryan Dickson (33 mins), Tahvon Campbell for Nathan Smith (46 mins), Francois Zoko for Otis Khan (68 mins)

Bookings: Artur Krysiak (Foul, 63), Tahvon Campbell (Foul, 75), Matt Butcher (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town succumbed to their first defeat of the 2016-17 season tonight, as a second half penalty saw them lose by a single goal to Mansfield Town. The match was a curious one given that the Glovers played 81 minutes worth of the match with a man advantage after Danny Rose was given a straight red card for a foul on Otis Khan, but then struggled to show dominance with that extra man. Instead it was the Stags that grabbed the win, after Artur Krysiak brought down Mitchell Rose, and Matt Green who had been involved in that build-up, executed the spot kick. On a frustrating night, that was how it ended, with Yeovil ending up in 12th place in the ridiculously early league table.

The Glovers went into the match making one change to their starting line-up from Saturday's trip to Luton Town. Alex Lacey's arm injury sustained at Kenilworth Road when he took a tumble into the away end of the ground meant that he sat on the bench for the start of the match, whilst Nathan Smith came in as a centre-back. Otherwise the only change was that Francois Zoko got his name onto a teamsheet for the first time this season.

Mansfield started the stronger, as Chris Clements fired wide, with the shot taking a deflection for a corner. From that set play, Danny Rose headed over the bar. Unfortunately for the Stags striker, that was about as much football that he was about to see. Referee John Brooks was taking charge of only his second Football League match, and he was given a big decision to make when Rose slid in on Glovers wide man Otis Khan. After a slight delay, Mr Brooks deemed that the challenge was either two footed or that studs were raised, and so took out of his back pocket a straight red card, leaving Mansfield down to ten men for 81 minutes.

Unsurprisingly, regardless of whether the decision was right or wrong, Mansfield's home crowd and dugout erupted with fury, and that set the tone of much of the game. However, it didn't seem to change the early pattern, with Alex Lawless being forced to put in a superb block tackle to stop Chris Clements getting in a shot, whilst Matt Green put one over the bar. Yeovil were having to rely upon breakaways, with Ryan Hedges getting his run right midway through the half, but not really having anyone to meet his dangerous ball across the face of the box. It took Otis Khan to get our first attempt in on goal, but that was with nearly 30 minutes on the clock.

Then came the obligatory Yeovil Town injury. Ryan Dickson didn't appear to have recovered from the ankle problem he played through at Luton, and he was forced to limp off, meaning that Alex Lacey, who probably would have preferred to have sat out with his bruised arm, having to be introduced with an hour still to play. This meant that Nathan Smith dropped wide to play as the full-back, with Lacey coming in as a centre-back.

Ryan Hedges had a 20 yard attempt comfortably saved, but at the other end Mansfield were still very strong, as Mitchell Rose put a header just over the bar. With their man disadvantage coming from a forward position, they weren't significantly having to alter their shape, instead using Rose to push forward when needed.

Yeovil were forced into a second injury related substitution at half time for an incident just before the break when Nathan Smith appeared to pick up a whack in the face. Receiving lengthy treatment to a problem just above his eye, he managed to continue, but was taken off at the break with Tahvon Campbell replacing him. Cue the significant substitution merry-go-round as Kevin Dawson dropped to right-back, Matt Butcher moved to left-back, whilst Bevis Mugabi and Alex Lacey took the centre roles. Meanwhile Campbell went up front, with Otis Khan dropping into midfield to take up a deeper position.

The new look line-up didn't really look strong enough in midfield, with Otis Khan losing possession twice - Artur Krysiak did well to block an Adam Chapman shot from one such occasion. Just past the hour mark, and Yeovil gave the ball away in the middle of the park for the third time in quick succession. Matt Green took advantage and bombed through on goal. Krysiak saved well, palming the ball out, but when it reached Mitchell Rose, he was forced to bring the player down for a penalty. Green took the ball and fired it home for a 1-0 lead.

Yeovil switched formations straight after the goal, taking off Otis Khan, and bringing on Francois Zoko, allowing the striker the chance to team up with Tom Eaves in a 4-4-2, as Ryan Hedges and Tahvon Campbell played wide roles. The big problem was that with Mansfield now a goal up, their spoiling tactics were now being played to perfection, largely by stopping the Glovers from playing and frustrating them. Yeovil did get the ball in the net through Ryan Hedges but with the linesman's flag already up, it wasn't likely to count. Tom Eaves also headed over the bar, but Yeovil couldn't really build up the head of steam they needed, with a flurry of late bookings and even a mini-brawl getting Mansfield what they wanted - the clock ran down, the pace slowed down, and the Stags got their three points.

Link: 2016-17 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Mansfield Town 1 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: Matt Green (64 mins, 1-0, penalty)

Mansfield Town:
12. Brian Jensen
2. Rhys Bennett 4. Lee Collins 15. Kyle Howkins 3. Malvind Benning
7. Adam Chapman 8. Chris Clements 19. Mitchell Rose 23. Ashley Hemmings
10. Matt Green 32. Danny Rose

34. Darius Henderson (90 mins for Christopher Hamilton) 6. George Taft (85 mins for Matt Green) 11. James Baxendale 14. Kevan Hurst 22. Christopher Hamilton (60 mins for Ashley Hemmings) 24. Jamie McGuire 37. Zayn Hakeem

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
5. Bevis Mugabi, 16. Matt Butcher, 3. Nathan Smith, 11. Ryan Dickson
7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Alex Lawless, 4. Matt Dolan,
10. Otis Khan, 9. Tom Eaves, 23. Ryan Hedges.

Substitutes: 12. Jonny Maddison 6. Alex Lacey (33 mins for Ryan Dickson) 13. Francois Zoko (68 mins for Otis Khan) 17. Omar Sowunmi 19. Tahvon Campbell (46 mins for Nathan Smith) 20. Joe Lea 22. Ollie Bassett

Mansfield Town Bookings: Kyle Howkins (foul, 55 mins). Rhys Bennett (timewasting, 73 mins), Adam Chapman (foul, 90 mins), Malvind Benning (foul, 90 mins). Red Card: Danny Rose (serious foul play, 9 mins).

Yeovil Bookings: Artur Krysiak (foul, 63 mins), Tahvon Campbell (foul, 75 mins), Matt Butcher (foul, 90 mins)

Mansfield Town Match Statistics: Possession: 44%; Shots: 16; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 4; Fouls: 8.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 56%; Shots: 7; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 6; Fouls: 15.

Referee: John Brooks (Leicestershire). Assistants: Declan Ford (Lincolnshire) and James Wilson (Cheshire). Fourth Official: Simon Bennett (Staffordshire).

Attendance: 2,503 (with 130 Yeovil supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape