Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 10/01/2016
Carlisle United 2-2 Yeovil Town
FA Cup Third Round

Yeovil Goals: Francois Zoko (71), Shaun Jeffers (90)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Ben Tozer, 4. Matthew Dolan, 6. Jakub Sokolík, 11. Ryan Dickson, 14. Jack Compton, 16. Tahvon Campbell, 24. Connor Roberts, 25. Liam Walsh, 26. Darren Ward, 39. Francois Zoko
Subs: 3. Nathan Smith, 9. Ryan Bird, 10. Shaun Jeffers, 12. Chris Weale, 19. Iffy Allen, 20. Wes Fogden, 21. Alex Lacey,

Substitutes Used: Shaun Jeffers for Tahvon Campbell (58 mins), Iffy Allen for Jack Compton (70 mins), Ryan Bird for Liam Walsh (86 mins)

Bookings: Ryan Dickson (Foul, 81)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained a last gasp equalising goal to take Carlisle United to an FA Cup Third Round Replay at Bloomfield Road this afternoon. In a match that was swithed to Bloomfield Road following the recent flooding at Brunton Park, the Glovers had to twice come from behind to level the game, with the critical one coming 92 minutes and 22 seconds into the tie, as Shaun Jeffers scored his third goal for the club from just inside the box. Before that, a Danny Grainger free kick had given Carlisle a half time lead, that was levelled by a Francois Zoko header - his fourth for the Glovers. When Mark Ellis quickly restored Carlisle's lead with 14 minutes remaining, it looked as though Yeovil were going home empty-handed, but instead it is the Cumbrians who will have to traipse down the length of the M6 in around 10 days time for the Third Round Replay at Huish Park.

The Glovers went into the match giving two players full debuts, as Darren Way's two recruits since he became manager got themselves starts - West Bromwich Albion striker Tahvon Campbell started as the central part of a three-pronged attack, whilst Everton midfielder Liam Walsh played in midfield, replacing Shaun Jeffers who dropped to the bench and Josh Sheehan, who had returned to Swansea City. Elsewhere on the bench, Wes Fogden returned from a knee injury, with Marc Laird dropping out of the squad. Yeovil's front line included Francois Zoko, who enjoyed a successful two year period at Carlisle earlier in his career, and had also played under the Cumbrians boss Keith Curle whilst at Notts County.

The opening 20 minutes saw neither side create too much other than thunderous tackles on a muddy pitch that cut up easily, having staged Blackpool's home match against Port Vale on the previous day. A Danny Grainger cross-shot went across the face of goal, whilst at the other end Jack Compton drove a free kick well wide of the target from distance. Jabo Ibehre probably got the best of the early attempts when he beat Jakub Sokolik to a flighted ball, then got a shot that went just wide as Ryan Dickson tried to close him down.

However, the Cumbrians took the lead via a free kick awarded for a handball by Ben Tozer, 25 minutes into the game. Danny Grainger's dead ball from outside the box possibly took a deflection off the wall, and that saw the ball curl past Artur Krysiak and into the back of the net for a 1-0 lead for the 'home' side. Yeovil responded as they got their first on target shot, with Tahvon Campbell forcing Carlisle's Dan Hanford into a parried save, as Francois Zoko couldn't quite get enough room to dig out the loose ball on the rebound.

During the closing stages, Darren Ward put a header over the bar, but Carlisle made their lead at the break look worthy as Artur Krysiak had to deny Charlie Wyke on the break as he found himself in a one-v-one situation, with the keeper blocking his attempt. Then the Glovers stopper denied Michael Raines from a corner, from close range, with Yeovil's problems really stemming more from the lack of creativity they'd had in the final third. Approach play was good, but bar the Campbell-Zoko double chance, they'd not really worried the Carlisle back line too much.

No surprise then that the second half opened with Francois Zoko playing down the middle as a tactical switch, with Tahvon Campbell switched out wide. But Carlisle gave the Yeovil back line a few heart flutters as they threatened to extend their own lead. Jabo Ibehre had the ball in the back of the net a couple of minutes in, although in fairness most players had stopped for the linesman's flag that had been raised for offside. However, five minutes after that Carlisle managed to hit the woodwork twice in a matter of seconds - Danny Grainger's shot hit the crossbar, then on the rebound Charlie Wyke's shot hit the post, with the ball rolling across the face of the area where it would have only needed the slightest tap-in. Somehow Yeovil survived.

Yeovil had again struggled to create clear-cut chances, with a goalmouth scramble seeing Jakub Sokolik force a save from a Jack Compton corner. But when the game moved into the final 20 minutes, they finally got in the sort of ball that they needed. Ben Tozer's strong midfield play fed Darren Ward, and his ball into the box found Francois Zoko, whose looping header beat Dan Hanford and went into the back of the net for the equaliser that the Glovers had needed.

The frustration was that five minutes later, they conceded again. The phrase "switched off from a free kick" was applicable not for the first time this season. Jakub Sokolik's foul saw Alex Gilliead's free kick planted into the box, and Mark Ellis was given a diving header in free space to put Carlisle back in front at 2-1. That was the scene set for Carlisle to make a defensive-minded substitution, and try to wind the clock down, and it seemed to be going their way as the game crept into injury time, with Yeovil only managing an edge-of-the-box attempt from Francois Zoko to threaten the Carlisle goal.

However, in the 93rd minute, they struck gold. Francois Zoko laid the ball back to Shaun Jeffers, who had come on as a substitute for Tahvon Campbell. He turned and shot from just inside the box, and that spin and movement was good enough to send the ball flying into the back of the net. Equalising goal - 2-2 and most importantly, into the hat for the Fourth Round draw on Monday night. Carlisle will have to travel down to Huish Park for a midweek replay - with the most likely date for the game being Tuesday 19th January - and will be frustrated that they were unable to finish the job off at the first attempt. Yeovil live again.

Final Score: Carlisle United 2 Yeovil Town 2.

Scorers: Danny Grainger (1-0, 25 mins), Francois Zoko (1-1, 71 mins), Mark Ellis (2-1, 76 mins), Shaun Jeffers (2-2, 90 mins)

Carlisle United:
13. Dan Hanford
6. David Atkinson 5. Michael Raynes 27. Mark Ellis 26. Macaulay Gillesphey
17. Alex Gilliead 16. Gary Dicker 4. Luke Joyce 3. Danny Grainger
14. Jabo Ibehre 9. Charlie Wyke

1. Mark Gillespie 2. Tom Miller 10. Bastien Hery (77 mins for Charlie Wyke) 12. Antony Sweeney 23. Joe Thompson 24. Hallam Hope (83 mins for Alex Gilliead) 25. Derek Asamoah (90 mins for Jabo Ibehre)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
24. Connor Roberts 6. Jakub Sokolik 26. Darren Ward (Capt) 11. Ryan Dickson
25. Liam Walsh 4. Matt Dolan 2. Ben Tozer
39. Francois Zoko 16. Tahvon Campbell 14. Jack Compton

12. Chris Weale (GK) 3. Nathan Smith 9. Ryan Bird (86 mins for Liam Walsh) 10. Shaun Jeffers (58 mins for Tahvon Campbell) 19. Iffy Allen (70 mins for Jack Compton) 20. Wes Fogden 21. Alex Lacey

Carlisle Bookings: Gary Dicker (57 mins, foul)

Yeovil Bookings: Ryan Dickson (81 mins, foul)

Carlisle Match Statistics: Possession: 46%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 3; Fouls: 13.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 54%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 4; Fouls: 15.

Referee: Andrew Madley (West Yorkshire). Assistants: Billy Khatib (County Durham) and Scott Oldham (Lancashire). Fourth Official: Mark Duncan (Cheshire).

Attendance: 3,357 (with 235 Yeovil supporters).

NOTE: Match played at Bloomfield Road, Blackpool.
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape