Match Details: Yeovil Town v Carlisle United
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Carlisle United

Match Details: 25/03/2016
Yeovil Town 0-0 Carlisle United
Skybet League Two

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Ben Tozer, 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Matthew Dolan, 6. Jakub Sokolík, 8. Marc Laird, 9. Ryan Bird, 11. Ryan Dickson, 14. Jack Compton, 19. Brandon Goodship, 26. Darren Ward,
Subs: 7. Kevin Dawson, 10. Shaun Jeffers, 12. Chris Weale, 16. Tahvon Campbell, 21. Alex Lacey, 28. Ollie Bassett, 38. Leroy Lita

Substitutes Used: Alex Lacey for Darren Ward (17 mins), Shaun Jeffers for Brandon Goodship (58 mins), Leroy Lita for Jack Compton (78 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town inched their way a further point towards League Two survival this afternoon, after a low key 0-0 draw against Carlisle United at Huish Park. In what was the fourth meeting between the two clubs this season, they seemed to know each other a bit too well, cancelling each other out across long spells of the game. The Glovers created their best efforts during the first half as a Jack Compton deflected effort was saved, whilst Carlisle looked dangerous when they got crosses into the box, emphasised by Darren Ward having to clear close to his own goal-line after an early corner. But in the end defences came well out on top, with the result keeping the eleven point buffer on York City, who also drew this afternoon, keeping Yeovil in 20th place with eight games to go.

The Glovers went into the match making four changes to the starting eleven who lost at Cambridge last Saturday. Connor Roberts was on international duty and his place in the side was taken by Jakub Sokolik, who deputised as a right-back. In midfield, Matt Dolan returned from injury to replace the suspended Liam Walsh. Meanwhile injury saw Harry Cornick drop out of the squad, whilst Kevin Dawson's groin injury kept him on the bench - Jack Compton and Ryan Bird came in as the more attacking options.

In spring sunshine both sides struggled during the first half to get into the groove at times, and in particular to get clear-cut chances inside the penalty box. Darren Ward had to clear close to his own goal-line from an early corner, whilst at the other end, Ben Tozer shot over the bar, whilst Jack Compton's deflected effort was saved by Mark Gillespie. The main focus of the opening quarter hour though was an injury to Darren Ward. He was fouled by Charlie Wyke early on and that seemed to leave him in problems with his knee, hobbling on for around five minutes before calling for treatment, resulting in Alex Lacey being introduced as an early substitute, with Ryan Dickson taking the captaincy for the first time since Paul Sturrock's departure from the club.

Carlisle began to edge the game, although only by virtue of shots from distance, with Hallam Hope and Jack Stacey testing Artur Krysiak from distance, although in reality probably only the second effort would have really worried a goalkeeper, with it smothered by the Pole on his second attempt. Another injury - this time to Matt Dolan - saw another delay, and although he was able to continue, the tempo of the game wasn't being helped by the stoppages. Both sides went in level, and in reality probably hadn't carved out an opportunity inside the penalty box at any stage during the half.

The second period showed more of the same, with Jack Compton's cross into the box that saw Ryan Bird head over the bar providing one of the few early opportunities. Both sides made changes, with Shaun Jeffers coming on for Brandon Goodship, whilst Leroy Lita eventually came on for Compton who ran out of steam a bit during the second period. Carlisle's own substitutions did make Yeovil's defending a little more difficult as Jabo Ibehre was greeted with a huge chorus of boos, alongside Derek Asamoah. But whilst they looked dangerous from aerial balls, only one Ibehre header truly worried the Glovers defence.

In the final ten minutes, there was a brief spark that implied that the club's recent FA Cup meeting might result in the game coming to the boil, as Ben Tozer and Danny Grainger clashed in an off the ball incident that referee Kevin Johnson either didn't see, or decided to sort out with just a talking-to - overall the match official was in a very lenient low-key mood. That was probably fitting with a game that fizzled out in the final few minutes - a result that still keeps the Glovers on track to avoid relegation, preserving their 11 point gap on York City, who drew 2-2 today, meaning that with eight games remaining things are still looking stable in that respect.

Link: 2015-16 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Carlisle United 0.

Scorers: None.

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
6. Jakub Sokolik 26. Darren Ward (Capt) 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson
8. Marc Laird 4. Matt Dolan 2. Ben Tozer
14. Jack Compton 9. Ryan Bird 19. Brandon Goodship

12. Chris Weale (GK) 7. Kevin Dawson 10. Shaun Jeffers (58 mins for Brandon Goodship) 16. Tahvon Campbell 21. Alex Lacey (17 mins for Darren Ward) 28. Ollie Bassett 38. Leroy Lita (78 mins for Jack Compton)

Carlisle United:
1. Mark Gillespie
2. Tom Miller 27. Mark Ellis 5. Michael Raynes 3. Danny Grainger
7. Jason Kennedy 8. Martin Smith 4. Luke Joyce
9. Charlie Wyke 16. Jack Stacey 24. Hallam Hope

6. David Atkinson 13. Dan Hanford 14. Jabo Ibehre (61 mins for Jack Stacey) 15. Brandon Comley 23. Joe Thompson 25. Derek Asamoah (61 mins for Martin Smith) 26. Macaulay Gillesphey (72 mins for Hallam Hope)

Yeovil Bookings: Matt Dolan (foul, 83 mins)

Carisle United Bookings: Martin Smith (foul, 41 mins), Tom Miller (foul, 88 mins).

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 54%; Shots: 4; Shots On Target: 1; Corners: 2; Fouls: 8.

Carlisle United Match Statistics: Possession: 46%; Shots: 8; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 2; Fouls: 18.

Referee: Kevin Johnson (Somerset). Assistants: Colin Lymer (Hampshire) and Kevin Morris (Herefordshire). Fourth Official: Marvyn Amphlett (Worcestershire).

Attendance: 4,074 (with 264 Carlisle supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape