Match Details: Luton Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Luton Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 02/02/2016
Luton Town 1-1 Yeovil Town
Skybet League Two

Yeovil Goals: Liam Walsh (70)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Ben Tozer, 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Matthew Dolan, 6. Jakub Sokolík, 11. Ryan Dickson, 14. Jack Compton, 23. Harry Cornick, 24. Connor Roberts, 25. Liam Walsh, 39. Francois Zoko
Subs: 7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Marc Laird, 9. Ryan Bird, 12. Chris Weale, 16. Tahvon Campbell, 18. Simon Gillett,

Substitutes Used: Kevin Dawson for Harry Cornick (49 mins), Chris Weale for Artur Krysiak (60 mins), Simon Gillett for Jack Compton (85 mins)

Bookings: Chris Weale (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town picked up another useful away point as they drew 1-1 against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road tonight. In a game in which both sides could easily have won, the Glovers thought they were on their way to all three points when Everton loanee Liam Walsh netted his first professional first team goal as he gave his temporary side the lead with 20 minutes remaining in the game. Luton hit back with six minutes remaining as a terrific left footed strike by Alan Sheehan levelled the scores and the Hatters nearly won it deep into injury time when Cameron McGeehan struck the post. Yeovil had their difficult moments during the game, particularly when a knee injury to Artur Krysiak forced Chris Weale into 30 minutes of action as the club's substitute keeper, but they held on to rise once place to 21st place in the League Two table.

The Glovers went into the match making one change to their starting line-up. Shaun Jeffers had been loaned out to National League side Woking and so his place in the side was taken by Harry Cornick, as the Glovers preserved their formation but tweaked it slightly with Francois Zoko becoming the more central outlet of the front three. On the bench, Iffy Allen's departure meant that the club could only name six on the bench despite Ryan Bird returning from injury.

Both sides struggled to worry the goalkeepers during the early stages - Craig Mackail-Smith forced Artur Krysiak into a save, which he needed two attempts to clutch, whilst Alex Lawless's shot was struck straight at Jakub Sokolik who stopped the ball getting near the goal, but otherwise the home side struggled to truly threaten. Not that Yeovil were exactly threatening at the other end, as Matt Dolan did a typical long range strike that went over the bar, after good build-up play by Ryan Dickson. Their only other serious first half chance came via Harry Cornick whose shot was spilt by Elliot Justham, forcing Jake Howells to hack the loose ball away, although the raising of a linesman's flag suggested any follow-up wouldn't have counted.

In the closing stages, Luton finally began to exert some genuine dominance, as Craig Mackail-Smith's run and shot was ended by a defensive block. During injury time Joe Pigott also had two shots blocked and the Glovers had to defend in numbers. As such they were glad to hear the half time whistle blow as Luton were building up a head of steam which the fifteen minutes break would break up a touch.

Early into the second half, Kevin Dawson replaced a somewhat rusty looking Harry Cornick, with the wide 'forwards' swapping positions to give Dawson his more usual flank. Luton though began to continue their increased threat as Cameron McGeehan shot wide, and then Alex Lawless broke through on goal, thankfully shooting straight at Artur Krysiak after he'd taken advantage of Yeovil losing possession in their own half.

Then came a key moment in the game when Stephen O'Donnell's shot was parried for a corner kick by Artur Krysiak. When the corner kick was delivered, Scott Cuthbert headed over the bar, but collided with Krysiak in doing so, leaving the keeper down in pain with what appeared to be a knee problem. After lengthy treatment, the Pole attempted to continue by taking a goal kick, but as soon as he struck the ball he was in obvious pain again, dropping to the floor and with an obvious need for a goalkeeper change, meaning that Chris Weale played the final 30 minutes between the sticks.

Yeovil had struggled to create much forward play during the second period, and so when they took the lead with 20 minutes remaining, it was somewhat against the run of play. Good build-up play by Francois Zoko saw him feed Liam Walsh. The Everton loanee saw his initial shot blocked, but when the ball returned back to him, he struck the ball cleanly and with Luton's defence disoriented from the initial shot, he was able to put Yeovil ahead and give himself his first ever professional first team goal.

The Glovers nearly went a further goal up when Jack Compton tried to repeat his weekend heroics, only to find Elliot Justham brilliantly save the shot just under the crossbar. That would have killed the game, but in the closing stages Luton Town levelled from a corner. As the ball was flighted into the box, it was flicked onto the back post and into the path of Alan Sheehan. He struck the ball superbly and first time into the top corner to put Luton level and to wake up a home crowd that had been increasingly tetchy during the game.

Darren Way made a defensive substitution, bringing on Simon Gillett for Jack Compton, meaning that his side changed to a 4-4-1-1, leaving Francois Zoko up front, with Simon Gillett as the supporting midfielder. As the game entered seven minutes of injury time, inevitably it was Luton who ended up applying most of the late pressure. They came uncomfortably close to sending Yeovil home with nothing as substitute Paul Benson's shot was parried by Chris Weale, and Cameron McGeehan's follow-up struck the post, with Jakub Sokolik thankfully throwing his body in the way of a possible third attempt. With referee Nigel Miller booking Wealey for timewasting during the added on time, that meant that he found a way to extend things further into nine minutes of added on time, but thankfully the Glovers held on - a point that moved them above Hartlepool United on goal difference, and crucially now leaves themselves with a four point buffer on Dagenham and Redbridge and York City, albeit by having played an extra game.

Link: 2015-16 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Luton Town 1 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Liam Walsh (0-1, 70 mins), Alan Sheehan (1-1, 84 mins)

Luton Town:
16. Elliot Justham
2. Stephen O'Donnell 6. Scott Cuthbert 44. Alan Sheehan 40. Jake Howells
19. Olly Lee 7. Alex Lawless 8. Cameron McGeehan
17. Pelly Ruddock 45. Joe Pigott 22. Craig Mackail-Smith

1. Mark Tyler 4. Jonathan Smith 9. Paul Benson (90 mins for Joe Pigott) 14. Jack Marriott (78 mins for Craig Mackail-Smith) 15. Paddy McCourt (85 mins for Pelly Ruddock) 18. Magnus Okuonghae 35. Zane Banton

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
24. Connor Roberts 6. Jakub Sokolik 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson
25. Liam Walsh 4. Matt Dolan 2. Ben Tozer
14. Jack Compton 39. Francois Zoko (Capt) 23. Harry Cornick

12. Chris Weale (60 mins for Artur Krysiak) 7. Kevin Dawson (49 mins for Harry Cornick) 8. Marc Laird 9. Ryan Bird 16. Tahvon Campbell 18. Simon Gillett (85 mins for Jack Compton)

Luton Bookings: Craig Mackail-Smith (foul, 69 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Chris Weale (timewasting, 90 mins)

Luton Match Statistics: Possession: 55%; Shots: 16; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 6; Fouls: 15.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 45%; Shots: 6; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 1; Fouls: 9.

Referee: Nigel Miller (County Durham). Assistants: Ryan T Atkin (London) and Dave Bushell (London). Fourth Official: John Busby (Oxfordshire).

Attendance: 7,538 (with 132 Yeovil supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape