Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 31/10/2015
Carlisle United 3-2 Yeovil Town
Skybet League Two

Yeovil Goals: Ryan Bird (5), Harry Cornick (8)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 6. Jakub Sokolík, 9. Ryan Bird, 11. Ryan Dickson, 16. George Thomas, 20. Wes Fogden, 21. Alex Lacey, 23. Harry Cornick, 24. Connor Roberts, 30. Josh Sheehan
Subs: 4. Matthew Dolan, 10. Shaun Jeffers, 12. Chris Weale, 19. Iffy Allen, 22. Mark Beck,

Substitutes Used: Matthew Dolan for Nathan Smith (38 mins), Shaun Jeffers for Jakub Sokolík (66 mins), Mark Beck for George Thomas (80 mins)

Bookings: Ryan Bird (Foul, 71), Connor Roberts (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 73)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town slipped to the foot of the Football League tonight after they lost 3-2 against Carlisle United at Brunton Park, despite taking a surprise two goal lead. They appeared to be in dreamland after just eight minutes as Ryan Bird headed home a Ryan Dickson corner for his seventh goal of the season, and that was followed up by AFC Bournemouth loanee Harry Cornick who accepted a George Thomas pass for his fourth of the campaign. But Carlisle fought their way back into it when Michael Raynes headed home from close range after half an hour, and the Cumbrians followed that up with an equaliser from Macaulay Gillesphey, with the game ultimately being won by a second goal from Raynes, leaving the club in 92nd place in the Football pyramid.

The Glovers made one change to their starting line-up with Marc Laird's hamstring injury sustained on the training ground during the week meaning that he will miss around three weeks worth of football. His place in the side was taken by Wes Fogden who was returning from a minor problem with shin splints. On the bench just five players remained, with Stephen Arthurworrey's return to Fulham and Jamie Burrows' recent decision to quit professional football leaving them off the club's books.

The game got off to an incredible start from a Yeovil Town point of view. Carlisle defender Michael Raynes slipped inside his own half, allowing Harry Cornick through on goal. Carlisle keeper Mark Gillespie parried the attempt for a corner, and from that set piece Ryan Dickson's delivery found Ryan Bird inside the box and his header brought him his seventh goal of the season - and crucially his first on the road, with all of his previous conversions having come at Huish Park.

Three minutes later and things got even better. Coventry City attacker George Thomas was playing as the most advanced of the midfield quartet and he slipped the ball through to Harry Cornick, allowing him the space to slot home for a 2-0 lead. With the Glovers having other chances around those goals, as Thomas headed over the bar, the visitors were well on top, with Carlisle appearing to have entirely misjudged their tactics in terms of picking up Yeovil's most advanced trio of players. Gary Dicker's awful challenge on George Thomas that gave him a yellow card showed how stretched the Cumbrians were early on.

Home fans vented their frustration, loudly booing their team for the way they'd started the match, but ultimately they began to get a foothold in the game, and showed that they were not afraid to shoot on sight. Jason Kennedy and Gary Dicker's long rangers went wide, but for a while at least, Carlisle seemed constrained to pot shots that didn't trouble Artur Krysiak. The problem was that when Carlisle did finally hit the target, it landed in the back of the net. An Alex Gilliead corner found Michael Raynes, who had lost his marker and was able to score from a close range - 2-1 and suddenly a rather critical home crowd were lifted.

Yeovil's situation was also becoming complicated by an injury to Nathan Smith - one of only two Yeovil players who have started in every fixture so far this season. He had clearly picked up an ankle problem and hobbled about before sitting down for treatment. After much delay, Smith withdrew, replaced by Matt Dolan, with Ryan Dickson dropping into the back four, as Dolan took his place on the left side of the midfield diamond. Carlisle had made their own voluntary reshuffle with a first half substitution and a change in tactics and that seemed to suit them better than Yeovil as they finished the half as the stronger team, with Charlie Wyke firing over the bar. Yeovil needed the half time break, particularly given that Jakub Sokolik was added to the walking wounded as he struggled to complete the five minutes of injury time, although slightly against the run of play both Ryan Bird and Josh Sheehan fashioned chances in the dying seconds that could have seen them extend their leads.

Sokolik somehow reappeared after the break, and the half opened with Ryan Bird getting another good opportunity that went wide. However, ten minutes after the break, Carlisle's increasing pole in the match was emphasised by their equalising goal. Once again it came from a corner, with Alex Gilliead's delivery seeing Macaulay Gillesphey beat the on-rushing Krysiak to the ball and head home for a 2-2 scoreline. Inevitably Carlisle had their tails up, despite Yeovil's attempts to flood the midfield by switching their formation to a 4-5-1 during the second period, with Cornick and Thomas taking wide slots.

Callum Hope's shot saw Artur Krysiak having to make a late adjustment to tip the ball for a corner, after it took a deflection off a defender's leg as Carlisle began to threaten a winning goal. The likelihood of that became more apparent when Jakub Sokolik finally couldn't continue, with Ryan Bird having to drop into defence as a makeshift centre-half - the last time he played there was as a youngster for non-league side Burnham. In effect that meant that the Glovers had lost three of their first choice back four in just a couple of games, with Sokolik and Smith off the pitch and Stephen Arthurworrey back at Fulham for an operation, leaving Swansea City youngster Connor Roberts as the last man standing, and now the only player in Yeovil Town's squad to have played in every minute of the season so far!

With such a makeshift back four, Yeovil looked distinctly rickety, with Ryan Bird and Connor Roberts picking up yellow cards in quick succession. Then came the sucker punch. Charlie Wyke's shot on goal could only be parried by keeper Artur Krysiak, with the loose ball falling neatly into the path of Michael Raynes, who had an easy conversion for a complete turnaround and a 3-2 scoreline in Carlisle's favour.

Just 15 minutes remained for Yeovil to make a real push for it, as they gambled by sending Ryan Bird back up front in a risky looking 3-4-3 formation for the closing stages. That led to a rather stretched end-to-end finish to the match, but not enough to get Yeovil back into the match. The defeat pushed them to the foot of the League Two table - something that the club has never faced before. Moreover, one injury before the match, and two more during the match inevitably pile on the woes faced by manager Paul Sturrock - new loans are desperately needed, although with the next two matches being cup competitions that will complicate whoever he can bring in before next weekend.

Link: 2015-16 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Carlisle United 3 Yeovil Town 2.

Scorers: Ryan Bird (0-1, 5 mins), Harry Cornick (0-2, 8 mins), Michael Raynes (1-2, 31 mins), Macaulay Gillesphey (2-2, 55 mins), Michael Raynes (3-2, 75 mins)

Carlisle United United:
1. Mark Gillespie
6. David Atkinson 5. Michael Raynes 27. Mark Ellis 3. Danny Grainger
16. Gary Dicker 7. Jason Kennedy 10. Bastien Hery
17. Alex Gilliead 9. Charlie Wyke 24. Hallam Hope

2. Tom Miller (86 mins for Alex Gilliead) 12. Antony Sweeney 13. Dan Hanford 21. Steven Rigg 23. Joe Thompson 25. Derek Asamoah (82 mins for Charlie Wyke) 26. Macaulay Gillesphey (35 mins for Bastien Hery)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
24. Connor Roberts 6. Jakub Sokolik 21. Alex Lacey 3. Nathan Smith
20. Wes Fogden
30. Josh Sheehan 16. George Thomas 11. Ryan Dickson (Captain)
9. Ryan Bird 23. Harry Cornick

12. Chris Weale 4. Matt Dolan (38 mins for Nathan Smith) 10. Shaun Jeffers (66 mins for Jakub Sokolik) 19. Iffy Allen 22. Mark Beck (80 mins for George Thomas)

Carlisle Bookings: Gary Dicker (foul, 10 mins), David Atkinson (timewasting, 90 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Ryan Bird (foul, 71 mins), Connor Roberts (throwing ball away, 73 mins)

Carlisle Match Statistics: Possession: 61%; Shots: 21; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 5; Fouls: 10.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 39%; Shots: 13; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 3; Fouls: 14.

Referee: David Webb (County Durham). Assistants: Graeme Fyvie (Tyne and Wear) and Joe Simpson (Manchester). Fourth Official: Barry Cropp (Lancashire).

Attendance: 4,095 (with 108 Yeovil supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape