Match Details: Yeovil Town v Queens Park Rangers
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Queens Park Rangers

Match Details: 11/08/2015
Yeovil Town 0-3 Queens Park Rangers
Carling Cup First Round

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Matthew Dolan, 5. Stephen Arthurworrey, 6. Jakub Sokolík, 8. Marc Laird, 10. Shaun Jeffers, 19. Iffy Allen, 21. Alex Lacey, 23. Harry Cornick, 24. Connor Roberts
Subs: 9. Ryan Bird, 12. Chris Weale, 16. Jamie Burrows, 20. Wes Fogden, 22. Mark Beck,

Substitutes Used: Mark Beck for Shaun Jeffers (46 mins), Wes Fogden for Iffy Allen (46 mins), Jamie Burrows for Marc Laird (62 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town headed out of the League Cup at the First Round stage tonight, as Championship side Queens Park Rangers did more than enough to justify their route into the next stage. The 0-3 scoreline was largely down to an inferior first half performance, with questionable defending helping the Londoners along. Sebastian Polter outmuscled his marker to break through and lift the ball past Artur Krysiak, and four minutes later Jay Emmanuel-Thomas converted a left wing cross from close range in a one-sided first half. A much improved display after the break saw Stephen Arthurworrey's header hit the top of the crossbar but the game was absolutely settled by a fierce shot from Nedum Onuoha inside the box after a loose ball dropped from a corner.

The Glovers went into the match making four changes to their starting line-up. Artur Krysiak replaced Chris Weale in goal, whilst Ryan Dickson's groin injury meant that there were changes on the wings - Wes Fogden dropped to the bench, and Harry Cornick and Iffy Allen got a chance to impress from the start. There was also a tactical change, with Alex Lacey coming in as a fifth defender, as Mark Beck sat on the bench in a 5-4-1. A slow start implied that the Glovers were fairly comfortable, with neither side having too many chances, but things didn't stay level for too long.

The West Londoners took the lead via some poor defending. Stephen Arthurworrey allowed the ball to run across him, and when Sebastian Polter challenged him, the Fulham loanee was muscled off the ball rather easily allowing the striker to run through. He lifted the ball over the advancing Artur Krysiak and into the back of an empty net. Within four minutes, QPR's second goal put the Championship side in full command. The goal came as a direct result of a skillful run by Cole Kpekawa down the left flank. He broke past Connor Roberts, allowing him a free run down to the byline and when he pulled the ball back, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was able to force his way in front of Nathan Smith to slot the ball home from ten yards out. 0-2 down in the space of a few minutes. The visitors went on to control the half, with Yeovil occasionally having small runs down the flanks that run into cul-de-sacs, and Rob Green being a near spectator in the lead-up to the break.

A double half time substitution saw Mark Beck and Wes Fogden introduced for Shaun Jeffers and Iffy Allen respectively. That allowed them to set up for the second period in a 4-1-3-2 formation, with Harry Cornick up front with Beck, and Alex Lacey sat in front of the back four. They started the second period well, with a Matt Dolan shot forcing Robert Green into his first real save of the game as the midfielder picked up a loose ball from a clearance. Then from the resultant corner, a Stephen Arthurworrey header bounced onto the top of the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

That mini-burst of play in the Glovers favour made QPR's third goal particularly frustrating, given that it came against the run of play in terms of what had happened since half time. A Matt Phillips corner was only half cleared and the ball dropped to Nedum Onuoha, who instinctively hit the ball first time to crash the ball into the roof of the net from around the penalty spot. 0-3 down and definitely no way back from that.

Yeovil's unfortunate luck during the early part of the season continued as midfielder Marc Laird hobbled off down the tunnel on the hour mark after lengthy treatment, meaning another reshuffle, with Jamie Burrows coming on as a forward as Harry Cornick dropped deeper. That removed a lot of the drive from Yeovil's central midfield, and turned the game into a bit of a training ground match, until the closing stages when Junior Hoilett put over the bar, and Nathan Smith had to be at his best to stand up and block a Jay Emmanuel-Thomas run dead.

During the closing stages the Glovers did show some heart a flicked header from Mark Beck went two or three yards wide. Then Nathan Smith, in an unusually central position, let fly from 20 yards out, producing a superb save from Rob Green for a corner - from the set piece Stephen Arthurworrey headed over the bar, denying the Glovers a consolation goal that their second half performance perhaps deserved. Like Saturday at St James Park, it was the first half performance that killed the game, which perhaps shows the 'work in progress' that is Yeovil Town at present.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Queens Park Rangers 3.

Scorers: Sebastian Polter (0-1, 16 mins), Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (0-2, 20 mins), Nedum Onuoha (0-3, 56 mins)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
24. Connor Roberts 5. Stephen Arthurworrey 6. Jakub Sokolik 21. Alex Lacey 3. Nathan Smith (Captain)
23. Harry Cornick 4. Matthew Dolan 8. Marc Laird 19. Iffy Allen
10. Shaun Jeffers

12. Chris Weale 9. Ryan Bird 16. Jamie Burrows (62 mins for Marc Laird) 20. Wes Fogden (46 mins for Iffy Allen) 22. Mark Beck (46 mins for Shaun Jeffers)

Queens Park Rangers:
1. Robert Green
24. James Perch 5. Nedum Onuoha 4. Grant Hall 42. Cole Kpekawa
16. Michael Doughty 17. Oscar Gobern 7. Matt Phillips 14. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
11. Ben Gladwin 33. Sebastian Polter

36. Tyler Blackwood (70 mins for Matt Phillips) 8. Tjaronn Chery 13. Joe Lumley 15. Paul Konchesky 20. Karl Henry (59 mins for Ben Gladwin) 21. Massimo Luongo 23. Junior Hoilett (77 mins for Oscar Gobern)

Yeovil Bookings: None.

QPR Bookings: James Perch (25 mins, foul)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 47%; Shots: 6; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 2; Fouls: 3.

QPR Match Statistics: Possession: 53%; Shots: 13; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 6; Fouls: 9.

Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands). Assistants: Andrew Bennett (Devon) and Michael Webb (Surrey). Fourth Official: William Bull (Hampshire).

Attendance: 4,058 (with 1,101 QPR supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape