Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 18/04/2015
Swindon Town 0-1 Yeovil Town
Skybet League One

Yeovil Goals: James Berrett (58)

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Nathan Smith, 8. James Berrett, 12. Artur Krysiak, 13. Kieffer Moore, 15. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi, 17. Joel Grant, 26. Stephen Arthurworrey, 27. Byron Webster, 30. Josh Sheehan, 32. Liam Shephard, 35. Stephen Kingsley
Subs: 1. Chris Weale, 9. James Hayter, 10. AJ Leitch-Smith, 14. Sam Hoskins, 16. Nathan Ralph, 24. Craig Eastmond, 25. Gozie Ugwu,

Substitutes Used: Gozie Ugwu for Kieffer Moore (86 mins), AJ Leitch-Smith for Joel Grant (86 mins)

Bookings: Stephen Kingsley (Foul, 28)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town secured their first back-to-back wins in the Football League for 17 months as they frustrated promotion-chasing Swindon Town with a classic away day performance. The Glovers had to deal with an immense amount of pressure from their hosts, which included Ben Gladwin hitting the woodwork during the first half. But they soaked up those attacks and stunned the Robins just before the hour mark when James Berrett scored his first goal for the club since last summer's move from Carlisle United, firing from distance to upset a few more football accumulators for the second time in a week.

Paul Sturrock made two team changes and a formation change as part of his end of season rebuilding and experimenting as he looked to see who in his squad was up for the challenge of League Two football next season. Sam Foley had a hamstring injury and had to drop out of the squad, replaced by Seth Nana Twumasi. Meanwhile up front Joel Grant replaced Gozie Ugwu, who was rested. Nathan Ralph was drafted back onto the bench. Meanwhile there was a significant formation change - a 3-5-2 formation that saw Seth Nana Twumasi play as a holding midfielder in a 3-1-4-2 role.

For much of the first half, that formation was nearer to a 5-4-1 as both full-backs were forced deep and even Joel Grant tended to operate as an attacking midfielder, as Kieffer Moore was the only player to stay up when Swindon got possession. The home side's domination was an extreme for 40 minutes as the game became 'attackers vs defenders' resembling a training ground match, as if Sturrock was looking to test their mental strength and defensive resolution - something that has been so frail at times in recent months.

Wave upon wave of Swindon attacks forced Yeovil back on their heels. A Sam Ricketts free kick was saved by Artur Krysiak, then Jonathan Obika missed a gaping goal when he struck the ball into the side netting after Krysiak had been forced to his near post with the ball being put across the box. Obika headed wide, Ben Gladwin had a long range attempt deflected for a corner, and then the same midfielder - who had scored a hat-trick during midweek, saw his long range shot strike the goalpost with Krysiak well beaten.

The chances came and came as Nathan Byrne fired over the bar after Artur Krysiak had spilled a Ben Gladwin cross and then Jon Obika shot over from distance. Yet as the half closed out, it was Yeovil who began to put their own authority on the game, with Kieffer Moore's header well saved by Wes Foderingham. The pressure began to be relieved, and an air of frustration seemed to creep in from the home crowd that they weren't two or three goals up at the break.

The second period still saw Swindon as the dominant force, as Jonathan Obika opened up with a low shot that Artur Krysiak saved comfortably. But during the early stages at least, this wasn't the one-way traffic they'd enjoyed earlier on. Liam Shephard's cross skimmed across the face of the Robins goal, just begging for a touch from a Yeovil player, whilst a Stephen Kingsley run forced a corner that Seth Nana Twumasi couldn't quite connect with at the back post. Then Kieffer Moore had an effort blocked by a defender from just outside the box.

Just before the hour mark though, James Berrett struck gold. The midfielder came to Yeovil last summer with a reputation for being a dead ball specialist and a long range scorer, but Glovers fans have seen very little of that over the eight months that he has been with the club. On 58 minutes he finally showed what he is capable of - a 25 yard strike that Swindon didn't seem to be expecting at all, and Wes Foderingham couldn't save, and against the overall run of play, the Glovers were 1-0 up!

Inevitably, Swindon tried to immediately get themselves back into the match, introducing two quick substitutions in Yaser Kasim and Andy Williams. Just before the latter came on, Michael Smith's last action of the game was to almost force an equalising goal inside a crowded goalmouth, but he found Josh Sheehan on the goal line, whose clearance needed the help of the crossbar to stay out of the net.

Some outstanding defending saw Yeovil players in the wars as they blocked chances in a way they hadn't done for several months, with Byron Webster and Seth Nana Twumasi both taking shots in the part of the body that no gentleman wants to have to cope with with! But Swindon's attacks on goal gradually became more 'hopeful' than incisive, with Andy Williams and Massimo Luongo shooting from distance into Artur Krysiak's arms. At the other end, Yeovil could have even doubled their lead as Kieffer Moore and Joel Grant set up Josh Sheehan, only to see the Swansea player shoot wide.

During five minutes of injury time, Swindon had one last possibility to level the scores - a large shout for a penalty from the crowd after one of their players went down theatrically inside the box. Referee Jeremy Simpson, who had a tidy game overall, decided to not create any late drama, and as a consequence all three points went Yeovil's way. Three games, two wins, two clean sheets and although it will not matter one iota in Yeovil's end fate, it will go a long way towards convincing various parties that the players inside the squad are maybe not as bad as the last couple of months results have implied, and hopefully show that a few of them are worth taking into next season.

Link: 2014-15 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Swindon Town 0 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: James Berrett (0-1, 58 mins)

Swindon Town:
1. Wes Foderingham 2. Nathan Thompson 5. Jack Stephens 36. Sam Ricketts 3. Nathan Byrne 26. Anton Rodgers 4. Massimo Luongo 7. Ben Gladwin 15. Harry Toffolo 20. Jonathan Obika 9. Michael Smith

8. Yaser Kasim (59 mins for Harry Toffolo) 10. Andy Williams (63 mins for Michael Smith) 14. John Swift (73 mins for Anton Rodgers) 18. George Barker 23. Jack Barthram 24. Jermaine Hylton 37. Cameron Belford

Yeovil Town: (3-1-4-2)
12. Artur Krysiak
27. Byron Webster 26. Stephen Arthurworrey 3. Nathan Smith
15. Seth Nana Twumasi
32. Liam Shephard 30. Josh Sheehan 8. James Berrett 35. Stephen Kingsley
17. Joel Grant 13. Kieffer Moore

1. Chris Weale 9. James Hayter 10. AJ Leitch-Smith (86 mins for Joel Grant) 14. Sam Hoskins 16. Nathan Ralph 24. Craig Eastmond 25. Gozie Ugwu (86 mins for Kieffer Moore)

Swindon Bookings: None.

Yeovil Bookings: Stephen Kingsley (28 mins, foul).

Swindon Match Statistics: Possession: 65%; Shots: 14; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 8; Fouls: 9.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 35%; Shots: 4; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 3; Fouls: 10.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire). Assistant Referees: Paul Rees (Somerset) and Adrian Tranter (Dorset). Fourth Official: William Bull (Hampshire).

Attendance: 8,490 (with 284 Yeovil supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape