Match Details: Yeovil Town v Chesterfield
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Chesterfield

Match Details: 03/04/2015
Yeovil Town 2-3 Chesterfield
Skybet League One

Yeovil Goals: James Hayter (18), Sam Foley (57)

Yeovil Line-Up: 9. James Hayter, 10. AJ Leitch-Smith, 11. Sam Foley, 12. Artur Krysiak, 15. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi, 25. Gozie Ugwu, 26. Stephen Arthurworrey, 27. Byron Webster, 30. Josh Sheehan, 32. Liam Shephard, 35. Stephen Kingsley
Subs: 5. Fergus Bell, 8. James Berrett, 13. Kieffer Moore, 16. Nathan Ralph, 17. Joel Grant, 22. Gareth Stewart, 24. Craig Eastmond,

Substitutes Used: Joel Grant for AJ Leitch-Smith (64 mins), James Berrett for Josh Sheehan (71 mins)

Bookings: James Berrett (Foul, 82), Joel Grant (Foul, 88)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town threw away a two goal lead against promotion chasing Chesterfield this afternoon, to leave themselves twelve points short of safety and firmly at the foot of the League One table. Things could have been rather different after a first half James Hayter goal had been added to on 57 minutes by Sam Foley's second goal of the season that put the Glovers 2-0 up. But the Spireites came back into the match with three goals in ten minutes as a Sam Hird header was added to by two goals from substitute Jay O'Shea - the first an excellent strike into the top corner, followed by another that saw him take advantage of a defensive error. That flurry of goals meant the Glovers left the day suffering their fifth consecutive defeat - and clearly on their way to fourth tier football.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes to the side that lost at Rochdale, with two of them relating to international players returning to the fold. Swansea pair Josh Sheehan and Liam Shephard came back into the starting line-up, whilst the other change saw Scott Loach dropped from the squad - a move that may be the last we see of him in a Glovers shirt, with his one month loan due to expire this weekend. Artur Krysiak made his return to the starting line-up - a long wait since the head injury he sustained at Scunthorpe United. Meanwhile with Joel Grant, his return from international duty with Jamaica was only completed yesterday afternoon meaning that he was put on the bench. James Berrett dropped to the bench, whilst Nathan Smith was surprisingly left out of the squad entirely, whilst Adam Morgan's ankle injury continued to keep him out.

The match started with the Glovers looking distinctly nervous as Chesterfield attacked them from the off, with a number of midfield errors seeing the visitors force early corners, as Byron Webster blocked one attempt, and a Drew Talbot effort also got deflected wide. Yeovil took a while to get a footing in the game, with Liam Shephard's more advanced position seeing him get forward and fire over the bar, whilst AJ Leitch-Smith put one just wide, after a chip over the top from Sam Foley put him through

The opening goal came somewhat against the run of play, and like the previous attempt involved Yeovil stretching a rather laboured Chesterfield defence with longer balls than usual. Gozie Ugwu took control of a goal kick, and then threaded the ball through to James Hayter, who broke into clear space before sliding the ball under the Chesterfield goalkeeper for his fifth goal of the season, and his second in two matches.

Chesterfield quickly rallied, particularly in the way they pressurised Yeovil in the wide positions, and Artur Krysiak twice had to make strong saves - one to turn away a Drew Talbot header, whilst a Byron Harrison attempt was pushed for a corner after he recovered his ground well from being slightly out of position from a ball into the box. Jimmy Ryan then struck the crossbar for Chesterfield - whether he meant his effort from a wide position was another matter, but it demonstrated the quality of their crossing on the day. Despite the pressure from the visitors though, the Glovers went in a goal up at the break, and at least had something to build on for once.

The Spireites made a double half time substitution with their manager presumably not too happy with his side's first half performance, and one of those new boys, Jay O'Shea fired just wide to register his presence early on. But on 57 minutes, the Glovers went 2-0 up, and again the longer ball caught Chesterfield flat-footed. Liam Shephard put through Sam Foley, and he finished in much the same way as Hayter - low and under the goalkeeper, and with an apparent cushion for his team for once.

Except that didn't last that long. Seth Nana Twumasi conceded a foul, under two minutes from that goal, and from the set piece move, Gary Roberts delivered the ball into the box, and Sam Hird headed home, with the sight of Stephen Arthurworrey on the deck perhaps partially explaining why the defender had got a free header so deep inside the box.

Yeovil have made a nasty habit of conceding a couple of goals in quick succession and so it proved once again as Chesterfield equalised just seven minutes later. Substitute Jay O'Shea got rather too much room to turn on the edge of the box, and line up his shot, and whilst it was a tremendous finish into the top corner, the lack of closing down was frustrating to watch. 2-2 within nine minutes of Yeovil Town having gone 2-0 up.

Worse was to follow. Stephen Kingsley had a good game overall, but his poor defensive clearance bounced off a Chesterfield player and into the path of Jay O'Shea again, and his acrobatic effort flew into the net to give his side a 2-3 lead. Huish Park was stunned, and so were the players - in fact tempers threatened to boil over as both Byron Webster and Stephen Arthurworrey got involved in incidents involving Sam Clucas during the closing stages, whilst a couple of bookings from James Berrett and Joel Grant showed signs of frustrated players lashing out at the situation.

Yeovil never really looked like getting back into it, apart from one Stephen Kingsley cross which Gozie Ugwu weakly placed into the arms of goalkeeper Tommy Lee when really it should have been buried. With players heads now down, it was far too easy for Chesterfield to use up the five minutes of injury time, and ensure that the Glovers stayed firmly bottom of the League One table. With Colchester United winning today, they even suffered the embarrassment of being cut adrift at the bottom by eight points now, whilst the gap to safety increases to twelve. It is not a question of 'if' anymore, but 'when' Yeovil's passage into League Two will be confirmed.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Chesterfield 3.

Scorers: James Hayter (1-0, 18 mins), Sam Foley (2-0, 57 mins), Sam Hird (2-1, 59 mins), Jay O'Shea (2-2, 66 mins), Jay O'Shea (2-3, 69 mins)

Yeovil Town:
12. Artur Krysiak
15. Seth Nana Twumasi 27. Byron Webster 26. Stephen Arthurworrey 35. Stephen Kingsley
32. Liam Shephard 11. Sam Foley 30. Josh Sheehan 10. AJ Leitch-Smith
25. Gozie Ugwu 9. James Hayter

22. Gareth Stewart 5. Fergus Bell 8. James Berrett (71 mins for Josh Sheehan) 13. Kieffer Moore 16. Nathan Ralph 17. Joel Grant (64 mins for AJ Leitch-Smith) 24. Craig Eastmond

1. Tommy Lee
2. Tendayi Darikwa 23. Ian Evatt 4. Sam Hird 25. Drew Talbot
8. Jimmy Ryan 5. Sam Morsy 15. Ritchie Humphreys 12. Samuel Clucas
11. Gary Roberts 18. Byron Harrison

3. Daniel Jones 9. Armand Gnanduillet (90 mins for Samuel Clucas) 10. Jay O'Shea (46 mins for Ritchie Humphreys) 16. Charlie Raglan 24. Oliver Banks 26. Emmanuel Dieseruvwe 28. Gboly Ariyibi (46 mins for Byron Harrison)

Yeovil Bookings: James Berrett (82 mins, foul), Joel Grant (88 mins, foul)

Chesterfield Bookings: Jay O'Shea (70 mins, excessive celebration), Samuel Clucas (90 mins, off the ball incident)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 43%; Shots: 7; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 2; Fouls: 12.

Chesterfield Match Statistics: Possession: 57%; Shots: 14; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 8; Fouls: 3.

Referee: James Linington (Isle of Wight). Assistant Referees: Richard Hulme (Somerset) and Colin Lymer (Hampshire). Fourth Official: Ronald Ganfield (Somerset).

Attendance: 4,520 (with 432 Chesterfield supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape