Match Details: Yeovil Town v Gillingham
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Gillingham

Match Details: 21/02/2015
Yeovil Town 2-2 Gillingham
Skybet League One

Yeovil Goals: Gozie Ugwu (21), Adam Morgan (90)

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Nathan Smith, 8. James Berrett, 9. James Hayter, 11. Sam Foley, 12. Artur Krysiak, 25. Gozie Ugwu, 26. Stephen Arthurworrey, 27. Byron Webster, 30. Josh Sheehan, 32. Liam Shephard, 35. Stephen Kingsley
Subs: 13. Kieffer Moore, 15. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi, 17. Joel Grant, 19. Liam Davis, 22. Gareth Stewart, 24. Craig Eastmond, 29. Adam Morgan,

Substitutes Used: Joel Grant for James Hayter (62 mins), Adam Morgan for James Berrett (77 mins)

Bookings: Nathan Smith (Foul, 9), Byron Webster (Foul, 83), Adam Morgan (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town rescued a point at home to Gillingham this afternoon as a last ditch penalty gave them a 2-2 draw at Huish Park. Former Liverpool academy player Adam Morgan converted a 94th minute spot kick awarded after substitute Joel Grant had been brought down inside the box to give them a point that looked unlikely going into the closing stages. Gozie Ugwu had given Yeovil a 1-0 half time lead with his fourth goal for the club, after he scored from a Sam Foley free kick that Byron Webster had nodded on. But John Marquis scored early in the second period, and when Gills substitute Luke Norris netted from the edge of the box with three minutes to go, a home defeat looked on the cards. But the late penalty gave the Glovers some comforts, even if the hard reality is that Yeovil are now five points adrift of safety, with wins for Leyton Orient, Crawley Town, Colchester United and Barnsley damaging their chances of staying up.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes to the side, with all three players having brought in during the week as new signings. Millwall loanee Byron Webster made his return to the club and was instantly handed the captain's armband, whilst Swansea City duo Stephen Kingsley and Josh Sheehan were given their debuts for the club. That left Ben Nugent as the club's 'sixth loanee', whilst AJ Leitch's leg injury saw him drop out of the squad, with Kieffer Moore the other player to miss out of the starting line-up. Joel Grant and Liam Davis made their returns to the line-up after three months out injured, meaning that the likes of Sam Hoskins, Fergus Bell and Alex Smith were sat in the stand, despite being fit - by far the biggest fit squad the Glovers have had this season.

The opening twenty minutes were one of few chances, even if the odd one that turned up went Yeovil's way, with Gillingham struggling to get into the game. Yeovil took the lead with probably the first real opportunity, even though 21 minutes had gone on the clock. Bradley Dack fouled Josh Sheehan and that allowed Sam Foley a chance to create yet another goal from a set piece from his dead ball skills. Byron Webster flicked the ball on, and as Gillingham defenders stood static waiting for an offside flag, Gozie Ugwu was on hand to fire home for the opening goal of the game and his fourth since arriving last month.

Thereafter there was only one dominant side, as Yeovil created multiple chances to extend their lead. Gozie Ugwu was a thorn in Gillingham's side and his darting run set up James Hayter, only for the striker to find two chances blocked - one by keeper Stuart Nelson, and then a second that defender Gavin Hoyte turned for a corner. Hoyte then blocked a second Hayter effort that went out for a corner, whilst Ugwu should have got one on target when he broke clean through on goal only for Nelson to come out and narrow the angle and do enough to encourage the striker to shoot wide. Gillingham did little all half, with only a Cody McDonald header that went wide of the target giving them any joy - they couldn't even force Artur Krysiak into a save before the break.

Gillingham's answer was to change their opening 4-4-2 formation at the break, and match up with the Glovers 3-5-2 line-up. It took them just four minutes for that to bear fruit. Sam Foley fouled Bradley Dack near the edge of the box, and Cody McDonald's shot seemed to squeeze through a gap near the edge of the wall. Artur Krysiak saved, but couldn't hold the ball, or push it away from goal, and John Marquis was the first to react, and fire home from close range.

The visitors were more impressive during the second period, and they had appeals for a penalty turned down when Cody McDonald and Nathan Smith went shoulder-to-shoulder in the box, with the Glovers player operating as a centre-back for today's fixture. Referee Simon Hooper had been trigger-happy throughout the game, blowing up for the slightest infringement, but thankfully choose not to put whistle to mouth on that occasion. Hooper was also responsible for the start-stop nature of the second period, with few chances being created from either team, and Gillingham not being in too much of a hurry to speed the game up.

Josh Sheehan's shot on goal was saved as Terry Skiverton rang the changes - Joel Grant's knee injury sustained at Notts County in November had kept him out of action for nearly three months, but he returned to training this week and came on as a substitute, replacing James Hayter. Shots from Sam Foley - parried by Stuart Nelson for a corner, then a Byron Webster attempt saved by the keeper threatened to break the deadlock - somewhat closer than a wayward effort from Adam Morgan who was brought on as a late substitute for James Berrett.

However, just as the Glovers looked the more likely side to snatch the three points again, their defence were caught backing off to allow Gillingham substitute Luke Norris to score. He unleashed a shot from the edge of the box to give the Kent side an 87th minute lead and to deflate Huish Park, given that with so little time remaining a defeat seemed on the cards.

But there was another final twist in the play. Gillingham defender Gavin Hoyte fouled Glovers substitute Joel Grant inside the box and referee Simon Hooper pointed to the penalty spot. With James Hayter off the pitch, and with so many changes in the squad of late, there was no designated penalty taker on the pitch, but up stepped Adam Morgan to grab the ball. He confidently struck the ball home for a 94th minute equalising goal in front of the home end to create wild - and possibly relieved - celebrations on the home terrace, and to give him his first professional first team goal.

With that went the final whistle, and despite the ecstacy of the injury time equaliser, there came a hard dose of reality. The 2-2 draw had to be tempered by wins for Leyton Orient, Crawley Town, Colchester United and Barnsley - only Coventry City in the bottom six failed to get three points. That leaves the Glovers now bottom of the table by three points, and with a five point gap between them and safety as Colchester lifted themselves out of the relegation zone. But without that late penalty, things could have been looking much worse.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Gillingham 2.

Scorers: Gozie Ugwu (21 mins, 1-0), John Marquis (49 mins, 1-1), Luke Norris (87 mins, 1-2), Adam Morgan (90 mins, pen, 2-2)

Yeovil Town:
12. Artur Krysiak
26. Stephen Arthurworrey 27. Byron Webster 3. Nathan Smith
32. Liam Shephard 11. Sam Foley 30. Josh Sheehan 35. Stephen Kingsley
8. James Berrett
25. Gozie Ugwu 9. James Hayter

22. Gareth Stewart 13. Kieffer Moore 15. Seth Nana Twumasi 17. Joel Grant (62 mins for James Hayter) 19. Liam Davis 24. Craig Eastmond 29. Adam Morgan (77 mins for James Berrett)

1. Stuart Nelson
31. Gavin Hoyte 4. John Egan 5. Max Ehmer 2. Bradley Garmston
8. Jake Hessenthaler 7. Doug Loft 23. Bradley Dack 13. Danny Galbraith
10. Cody McDonald 9. John Marquis

3. Joe Martin 6. Leon Legge 11. Jermaine McGlashan (46 mins for Danny Galbraith) 12. Glenn Morris 18. Josh Pritchard (89 mins for Bradley Dack) 19. Luke Norris (83 mins for Cody McDonald) 24. Brennan Dickenson

Yeovil Bookings: Nathan Smith (9 mins, foul), Byron Webster (83 mins, foul), Adam Morgan (90 mins, excessive celebration)

Gillingham Bookings: Bradley Dack (22 mins, foul), John Marquis (45 mins, foul), Stuart Nelson (90 mins, dissent)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 50%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 6; Fouls: 13.

Gillingham Match Statistics: Possession: 50%; Shots: 6; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 4; Fouls: 16.

Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire). Assistant Referees: Justin Amey (Dorset) and Christopher Husband (Worcestershire). Fourth Official: Simon Knapp (Bristol).

Attendance: 4,293 (with 458 Gillingham supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape