Match Details: Oldham Athletic v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Oldham Athletic v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 13/12/2014
Oldham Athletic 0-4 Yeovil Town
Skybet League One

Yeovil Goals: Stephen Arthurworrey (21), Simon Gillett (28), Sam Hoskins (40), Kieffer Moore (90)

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Joe Edwards, 9. James Hayter, 11. Sam Foley, 14. Sam Hoskins, 18. Jordan Clarke, 20. Ben Nugent, 23. Simon Gillett, 24. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi, 26. Stephen Arthurworrey, 30. Jed Steer
Subs: 2. Brendan Moloney, 8. James Berrett, 10. AJ Leitch-Smith, 12. Artur Krysiak, 13. Kieffer Moore, 27. Tom Eaves, 28. Alex Smith,

Substitutes Used: Tom Eaves for James Hayter (68 mins), AJ Leitch-Smith for Sam Hoskins (72 mins), Kieffer Moore for Simon Gillett (80 mins)

Bookings: Joe Edwards (Handball, 22), Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi (Foul, 51)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained their biggest away win for nearly four years this afternoon, as they produced a shock 4-0 victory over promotion-chasing Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park. The four goals scored were the first time the Glovers had hit that number since another December fixture against the same opposition two years ago, as they stunned a team that started the day 17 places above them in the division. Fulham defender Stephen Arthurworry opened the scoring when he was the first to react to his own header coming off the post, and that was quickly followed by Simon Gillett who converted a Jordan Clarke long ball into the box. Striker Sam Hoskins grabbed his first professional goal for the club just before the break after he capitalised on defensive dithering, whilst the game was wrapped up in the 90th minute as substitute Kieffer Moore's fine finish lifted Yeovil into 21st place and to give them a big confidence boost ahead of Tuesday night's FA Cup Second Round Replay against Accrington Stanley.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes, as Kevin Dawson dropped out of the squad, and was replaced by Seth Nana Twumasi, who occupied an unexpected right-wing position. The other two changes saw Simon Gillett return from his recent injury problems to displace James Berrett, whilst Sam Hoskins got his first start for seven months as he replaced AJ Leitch-Smith, with the formation being tweaked again into a 4-4-1-1 as Gillett took the supporting role. Kieffer Moore's hamstring injury had cleared up enough for him to sit on the bench.

The game opened in pouring rain, and in a fairly quiet manner as both sides sized each other up. Daniel Johnson and Danny Philliskirk threatened to impose the home side's advantage with half chances, but Simon Gillett's deflected shot that went into keeper Paddy Kenny's arms, and a Stephen Arthurworry header that went over the bar showed Yeovil were creating chances themselves.

The breakthrough came halfway through the first half when a Sam Foley corner was swung in, and once again the former Newport County man could claim an assist, as Fulham loanee Stephen Arthurworrey's free header came off the woodwork, and the centre-back was the first man to react as he prodded home from close range for his first goal for the club and to put the Glovers 1-0 up.

That goal gave the Glovers the confidence they needed to wrestle full control of the game, and they were good value for their 2-0 lead just seven minutes later as Jordan Clarke's long ball into the box saw Oldham centre-back Genseric Kusunga miscontrol the ball, and that was enough for Simon Gillett to steal possession and fire the ball home for his second goal for the club and to double Yeovil's lead.

Genseric Kusunga was the villain for the home side for a second time just five minutes from the break when he was caught in possession close to his own goal for a second occasion. Striker Sam Hoskins, who scored twice for Barnet during his recent loan spell with the club had never scored a professional first team goal for the Glovers, but he broke clear and confidently slotted the ball home for an amazing 3-0 half time scoreline.

A fairly inevitable half time substitution saw Oldham withdraw the beleagured Kusunga as well as Timothee Dieng as they made a double substitution and a tactical reshuffle, in an attempt to rescue something from the game. The end result was a much more measured second half with Oldham getting more territory, but with the Glovers getting their own tactics spot on as they stretched the Latics defence as they pushed more men up and took more risks. If anything it was the away side that had the better chances to extend their lead - Sam Foley forced Paddy Kenny into a parried save for a corner, whilst James Hayter slices over the bar just before he made way for Tom Eaves.

The Bolton loanee could have got himself a goal as his run through on goal saw Paddy Kenny have a rush of blood, with Eaves easily beating him to the ball outside the box, but the striker's angle on goal ultimately stopped him from getting his shot on target, with Kenny stranded. Eaves had a further attempt which he put well over the bar, after being clean through, with Oldham gradually fading from the game - a rare Brian Wilson shot on goal being one of their better second half efforts, but with Jed Steer having a calm largely anonymous afternoon.

Matters were wrapped up via another substitute striker, as Kieffer Moore joined in with the fun during the final ten minutes. He netted a 90th minute goal, as Oldham's defence failed to clear their lines and the former Dorchester Town player fired home from the edge of the box with an excellent low drive for his third of the season and to provide some beaming faces at the end of the match. An unexpected, but excellent result, and the biggest away win in the league for the Glovers since the August 2012 match against Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park which produced a similar scoreline. With Accrington Stanley also gaining a fine 3-2 victory over Portsmouth today, both teams will be going into Tuesday night's huge FA Cup Second Round Replay with their tails well up.

Link: 2014-15 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 0 Yeovil Town 4.

Scorers: Stephen Arthurworrey (0-1, 21 mins), Simon Gillett (0-2, 28 mins), Sam Hoskins (0-3, 40 mins), Kieffer Moore (0-4, 90 mins)

Oldham Athletic:
25. Paddy Kenny
16. James Wilson 21. Genseric Kusunga 5. George Elokobi 20. Brian Wilson
8. Mike Jones 4. Timothee Dieng 3. Joseph Mills 14. Daniel Johnson
10. Danny Philliskirk 19. Jabo Ibehre

1. Paul Rachubka 7. James Dayton 9. Dominic Poleon (46 mins for Timothee Dieng) 12. David Mellor 15. Carl Winchester (46 mins for Genseric Kusunga) 17. Michael Tidser 27. Amari Morgan-Smith

Yeovil Town:
30. Jed Steer
18. Jordan Clarke 26. Stephen Arthurworrey 20. Ben Nugent 3. Nathan Smith
24. Seth Nana Twumasi 4. Joe Edwards 11. Sam Foley 14. Sam Hoskins
23. Simon Gillett
9. James Hayter

12. Artur Krysiak 2. Brendan Moloney 8. James Berrett 10. AJ Leitch-Smith (72 mins for Sam Hoskins) 13. Kieffer Moore (80 mins for Simon Gillett) 27. Tom Eaves (68 mins for James Hayter) 28. Alex Smith

Oldham Bookings: None.

Yeovil Bookings: Joe Edwards (22 mins, handball), Seth Nana Twumasi (51 mins, foul)

Oldham Match Statistics: Possession: 50%; Shots: 11; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 2; Fouls: 6.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 50%; Shots: 13; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 5; Fouls: 13.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham (County Durham). Assistant Referees: Paul Cook (East Yorkshire) and Ricky Wootton (West Yorkshire). Fourth Official: Gary Hilton (Lancashire).

Attendance: 3,706 (with 111 Yeovil supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape