Match Details: Yeovil Town v Crawley Town
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Crawley Town

Match Details: 08/11/2014
Yeovil Town 1-0 Crawley Town
FA Cup First Round

Yeovil Goals: Jordy Hiwula (7)

Yeovil Line-Up: 4. Joe Edwards, 7. Kevin Dawson, 8. James Berrett, 10. AJ Leitch-Smith, 11. Sam Foley, 18. Jordan Clarke, 19. Liam Davis, 20. Ben Nugent, 25. Jordy Hiwula, 26. Stephen Arthurworrey, 30. Jed Steer
Subs: 1. Chris Weale, 2. Brendan Moloney, 9. James Hayter, 15. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi, 17. Joel Grant, 23. Simon Gillett,

Substitutes Used: Simon Gillett for AJ Leitch-Smith (81 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town worked their way through to the second round of the FA Cup this afternoon, following a single goal victory over Crawley Town. They sealed the victory when Manchester City loanee Jordy Hiwula was put through on goal, rounding visiting keeper Jamie Ashdown to put the Glovers up and that was to prove the match-winner despite it being scored as early as the 7th minute. Their Sussex opponents offered little during the game, failing to get a shot on target during the first period, and even in the second half only showing a marginal improvement. Yeovil concentrated on keeping their shape as the game wore on and the end result was often inertia, with that early Hiwula goal proving to be crucial as it put the club into the Second Round.

The Glovers made two changes to their starting line-up for the fixture, with the injured Kieffer Moore making way for Jordy Hiwula, who had replaced him in last weekend's fixture at Chesterfield. Joel Grant was also substituted for tactical reasons in that game, and with him heading to Jamaica on international duty tomorrow, he sat on the bench with AJ Leitch-Smith given a role on the wing as the 4-5-1 formation was preserved, but with the obvious remit for the striker to get up and join Hiwula when he could.

The game got off to the perfect start for the Glovers just seven minutes into the match, when a ball into the box saw Jordy Hiwula outmuscle former Glovers trialist Joe Walsh, gaining possession and then rounding keeper Jamie Ashdown for an early lead, and for his first goal in first team professional football. That was the perfect start, but it was fully justified given that they had already struck the woodwork even before that goal, with Sam Foley hitting a shot from outside the box that had Ashdown beaten.

That dominance continued during the whole of the first half, with Crawley failing to get a single shot on target before the break. Ben Nugent flicked a header just wide of the target from a Sam Foley free kick, whilst Foley had a dig himself that took a deflection for a corner. Jordan Clarke had another attempt that the somewhat jittery Jamie Ashdown fumbled and really the only disappointment of their dominant first half performance was that they were only a single goal up at the break. Crawley had been feeble, with only a shot from former Glover Matt Harrold that went wide of the sticks looking remotely dangerous.

It was inevitable that Crawley would get a kick up the backside at the break, and during the second period they did improve, particularly during the opening ten minutes. Jed Steer had to make his first proper save of the game after 50 minutes when Izale McLeod fired at his near post, followed by another shot from Josh Simpson's. Steer then made an ultra-rare misjudgement when he went for a cross only for McLeod to beat him but the header went over the bar.

Eventually the post-half-time Crawley fizz disappeared, despite the introduction of former Glovers Gavin Tomlin and Lewis Young as second half substitutes, and the effect was a curious form of inertia. The Glovers were mindful that the 1-0 scoreline would put them in the Second Round, whilst Crawley were showing little in the way of attacking play to suggest that they could get back into it. Yet with just one goal being in the game, there were inevitable late nerves from the crowd. They needn't have worried - calm defending ensured the visitors were never able to build up a head of steam, and the end result was one of the more comfortable ends to a single goal victory that there could be. Looking at the wider picture, an end to the club's seven game run without a win, and two consecutive clean sheets will be as good for the club as the 18,000 First Round winners' prize money will have been.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Crawley Town 0.

Scorers: Jordy Hiwula (1-0, 7 mins)

Yeovil Town (4-5-1):
30. Jed Steer
18. Jordan Clarke 20. Ben Nugent 26. Stephen Arthurworrey 19. Liam Davis
7. Kevin Dawson 4. Joe Edwards 8. James Berrett 11. Sam Foley 10. AJ Leitch-Smith
25. Jordy Hiwula

1. Chris Weale 2. Brendan Moloney 9. James Hayter 17. Joel Grant 15. Seth Nana Twumasi 23. Simon Gillett (81 mins for AJ Leitch-Smith)

Crawley Town:
25. Jamie Ashdown
2. Lanre Oyebanjo 5. Dean Leacock 12. Joe Walsh 3. Ryan Dickson
11. Josh Simpson 8. Jimmy Smith 16. Keith Keane 7. Gwion Edwards
9. Izale McLeod 18. Matt Harrold

1. Brian Jensen 4. Conor Henderson 14. Lewis Young (61 mins for Gwion Edwards) 15. Charles Banya 20. Bobson Bawling 21. Gavin Tomlin (62 mins for Matt Harrold)

Yeovil Bookings:

Crawley Bookings: Gavin Tomlin (70 mins, foul), Dean Leacock (89 mins, foul).

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 62%; Shots: 14; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 9; Fouls: 11.

Crawley Match Statistics: Possession: 38%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 1; Fouls: 14.

Referee: Philip Gibbs (West Midlands). Assistant Referees: Steven Plane (Worcestershire) and Christopher Wade (East Yorkshire). Fourth Official: Timothy Wood (Gloucestershire).

Attendance: 2,355 (with 162 Crawley supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape