Match Details: 25/01/2014
Southampton 2-0 Yeovil Town
FA Cup Fourth Round
Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Marek Stech, 2. Luke Ayling, 3. Jamie McAllister, 4. Joe Edwards, 5. Byron Webster, 9. James Hayter, 15. Shane Duffy, 19. Joe Ralls, 23. Joel Grant, 27. Ishmael Miller, 31. John Lundstram
Subs: 7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Ed Upson, 10. Sam Foley, 13. Kieffer Moore, 24. Chris Dunn, 26. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi, 29. Adam Morgan,
Substitutes Used: Kieffer Moore for James Hayter (62 mins), Ed Upson for Joel Grant (74 mins), Sam Foley for Ishmael Miller (85 mins)
Bookings: Jamie McAllister (Dissent, 22)
Yeovil Town headed out of the FA Cup at the Fourth Round stage today, despite an enthusiastic performance at St Mary's Stadium. The Glovers ended up fairly beaten by Premier League side Southampton, who scored a goal in each half, and put plenty of pressure on their opponents goal throughout the game, including hitting the crossbar twice during the first half.
The Saints got their noses in front when referee Phil Dowd awarded them a penalty, with Jamie McAllister found guilty of handball inside the box midway through the first half. Up stepped Guly do Prado and sent Marek Stech the wrong way. However, the Glovers stayed in the match for two-thirds of the match, with Southampton only genuinely putting the game out of sight when substitute Sam Gallagher scorerd his first senior goal, with an impressive solo run and strike into the corner.
In the closing stages, Southampton began to stretch the game, with Marek Stech having to make a number of excellent saves, with the home side putting on a number of the latest teenage players in their Academy production line. Yeovil ended as a comfortably beaten side, although can stand proud through the highly impressive 3,403 travelling fans that packed out the Northam Stand. Back to 'concentrating on the league' now, with 21 'cup final' performances needed between now and the end of April.
Link: 2013-14 Latest Championship Table.
Final Score: Southampton 2 Yeovil Town 0.
Scorers: Guly do Prado (1-0, 23 mins, penalty), Sam Gallagher (2-0 70 mins)
1. Kelvin Davis
2. Nathaniel Clyne 26. Jos Hooiveld 3. Maya Yoshida 23. Luke Shaw
18. Jack Cork 4. Morgan Schneiderlin
16. James Ward-Prowse 21. Guly do Prado 20. Adam Lallana
9. Jay Rodriguez
6. Jose Fonte 8. Steven Davis (73 mins for Adam Lallana) 22. Calum Chambers 25. Paulo Gazzaniga 27. Lloyd Isgrove 38. Harrison Reed (84 mins for James Ward-Prowse) 40. Sam Gallagher (56 mins for Guly do Prado)
Yeovil Town (4-4-2):
1. Marek Stech
2. Luke Ayling 5. Byron Webster 15. Shane Duffy 3. Jamie McAllister (Captain)
23. Joel Grant 4. Joe Edwards 31. John Lundstram 19. Joe Ralls
27. Ishmael Miller 9. James Hayter
24. Chris Dunn 7. Kevin Dawson 8. Ed Upson (74 mins for Joel Grant) 10. Sam Foley (85 mins for Ishmael Miller) 13. Kieffer Moore (62 mins for James Hayter) 26. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi 29. Adam Morgan
Southampton Bookings: Nathaniel Clyne (foul, 63 mins)
Yeovil Bookings: Jamie McAllister (dissent, 22 mins)
Southampton Match Statistics: Possession: 65%; Shots: 18; Shots On Target: 9; Corners: 3; Fouls: 9.
Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 35%; Shots: 8; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 5; Fouls: 9.
Referee: Philip Dowd (Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire). Assistants: Stuart Burt (Northamptonshire) and John Flynn (Wiltshire). Fourth Official: David Phillips (West Sussex).
Attendance: 24,070 (including 3,403 Yeovil supporters).