Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 17/11/2012
Swindon Town 4-1 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: James Hayter (41)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Marek Stech, 2. Luke Ayling, 3. Jamie McAllister, 5. Byron Webster, 9. James Hayter, 14. Sam Foley, 17. Paddy Madden, 18. Daniel Burn, 21. Korey Smith, 22. Joe Edwards, 25. Daniel Johnson
Subs: 4. Richard Hinds, 7. Keanu Marsh-Brown, 10. Gavin Williams, 11. Reuben Reid, 12. Gareth Stewart, 20. Curtis Haynes-Brown,

Substitutes Used: Keanu Marsh-Brown for Daniel Johnson (36 mins), Reuben Reid for James Hayter (46 mins), Gavin Williams for Sam Foley (70 mins)

Bookings: Daniel Burn (Foul, 20), Byron Webster (Foul, 66), Gavin Williams (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town crashed to a heavy 4-1 defeat against Swindon Town this afternoon, as sloppy defending let them down at the County Ground. Lapses in concentration allowed the big-spending Wiltshire side to score three times in the first period, with former Glover Andy Williams opening the scoring on his first match against his former club. James Collins followed up with a quick second midway through the half, and although James Hayter reduced the deficit, that only lasted a couple of minutes as Darren Ward restored the two goal advantage. Deep into second half injury time, James Collins accepted a long ball on the break, to round off a deserved defeat for Yeovil, who slip to 12th place on the back of today's results.

Team news saw Yeovil Town simply select the exact same squad of players that had beaten Hartlepool United last week. With Ed Upson (suspended), Lewis Young (ankle ligaments) and Nathan Ralph (knee surgery) all absent, and Gozie Ugwu remaining as the 'sixth loanee', it was as you were, with the same seventeen players on the teamsheet. In the opposition line-up, Andy Williams started against the Glovers for the first time since leaving the club in the summer, whilst on the bench, former loanee Adam Rooney provided Swindon with more pricey attacking outlets, with new loan signings Danny Hollands and Chris Martin also on the bench.

The first half opened in an extremely open fashion, with both sides carving out a number of chances. Paddy Madden shot through a crowd of players, but didn't really get his foot on the shot, whilst Swindon had a couple of attempts that went wide. That said, the Robins were dominating the midfield, with Simon Ferry proving to be the most dominant of the four midfielders across both teams, meaning that when Yeovil lost possession they looked weak in that they were not picking his runs.

Midway through the half, Yeovil fell behind with a goal that they should have done better defensively with. One player that they know everything about is Andy Williams and what his strengths are. It was therefore disappointing to see how easily he turned his marker on the halfway line, working off the shoulder of Byron Webster and racing through before carefully placing his shot past the advancing Marek Stech and into the back of the net.

Four minutes later, and Yeovil's defence was rocking. Swindon centre-back Joe Devera was allowed to work his way up the wing without anyone tracking him. His cross in from the left allowed James Collins to stretch out and convert from close range to double Swindon's lead. 2-0 down and at that point it could easily have got worse. Williams went in for a 50:50 ball with Marek Stech, and when the ball fell loose Dan Burn blocked another attempt from Collins that could have made it three.

With the game not going to plan, manager Gary Johnson decided the centre of midfield was where the problem was, withdrawing Daniel Johnson, and bringing on Keanu Marsh-Brown. Joe Edwards moved inside as a more defensive-minded central midfielder, doubtless to cut out some of Simon Ferry's influence on the game. Certainly the arrival of Marsh-Brown had the desired effect as it was his cross into the box that pulled a goal back, as James Hayter bagged his eighth goal of the season, with his flicked header coming off the crossbar, and despite the attempts of keeper Wes Foderingham to stop it crossing the line, up went the linesman's flag, and the Glovers were back to 2-1.

Never under-estimate the ability for Yeovil to shoot themselves on the foot in such situations. Within two minutes, the two goal lead was restored. A free kick was put into the box from a deep position, with the ball coming from the left-flank to the right post. The initial Swindon shot was well saved by Marek Stech, but when the loose ball dropped, Darren Ward was on hand to slam the ball home from close range for a 3-1 half time lead.

The second period opened with Gary Johnson making a second change, bringing on Reuben Reid in place of James Hayter. He started fairly brightly, feeding Korey Smith, who fired wide of the target in a much more even second half. It was also a much more petulant second half as well, punctuated by referee Mark Heywood's irritating influence on the game, and some of the way that Swindon's players had a habit of writhing on the floor, only to skip to their feet as soon as a yellow card was raised. Byron Webster got himself in a running battle with Chris Martin over this, reacting to a kick-out by Martin that saw him provide his own retribution a couple of minutes later, as the crowd bayed for a different colour of card.

In reality, Yeovil rarely looked as though they were going to get back into the match, and they were dealt with the final sucker punch in second half injury time. A long ball over the top was received by James Collins, who beat the Glovers offside trap, and a back line that had been pushing higher up the field. The Glovers weren't helped by Byron Webster appearing to be hobbling in the closing stages, and Collins easily outpaced him, slotting the ball past Marek Stech, to give the game an emphatic scoreline, and end the game as a spectacle. In the end, sloppy first half defending cost them, and the two goal cushion Swindon established during the first half was more than enough to snuff out any hopes Yeovil had of a second period comeback.

Link: 2012-13 Latest League One Table

Final Score: Swindon Town 4 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Andy Williams (1-0, 24 mins), James Collins (2-0, 28 mins), James Hayter (2-1, 41 mins), Darren Ward (3-1, 43 mins), James Collins (4-1, 90 mins).

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Marek Stech
2. Luke Ayling 5. Byron Webster 18. Daniel Burn 3. Jamie McAllister (Capt)
22. Joe Edwards 25. Daniel Johnson 21. Korey Smith 14. Sam Foley
9. James Hayter 17. Paddy Madden

12. Gareth Stewart 4. Richard Hinds 7. Keanu Marsh-Brown (36 mins for Daniel Johnson) 10. Gavin Williams (70 mins for Sam Foley) 11. Reuben Reid (46 mins for James Hayter) 20. Curtis Haynes-Brown

Swindon Town:
1. Wes Foderingham
12. Alan McCormack 22. Darren Ward 5. Joe Devera 3. Jay McEveley
10. Matt Ritchie 8. Simon Ferry 33. John Bostock 11. Gary Roberts
9. James Collins 16. Andy Williams

30. Leigh Bedwell 15. Nathan Thompson 2. Troy Archibald-Henville 23. Raffaele De Vita (85 mins for Gary Roberts) 24. Chris Martin (44 mins for Andy Williams) 26. Danny Hollands (70 mins for John Bostock) 28. Adam Rooney

Swindon Bookings: Gary Roberts (taking free kick too early, 64 mins), James Collins (dissent, 87 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Dan Burns (foul, 20 mins), Byron Webster (foul, 66 mins), Gavin Williams (foul, 90 mins)

Swindon Match Statistics: Possession: 53%; Shots: 18; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 9; Fouls: 17.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 47%; Shots: 8; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 1; Fouls: 11.

Referee: Mark Heywood (Cheshire). Assistants: Nick Hobbis (West Midlands) and Alan Young (Cambridgeshire). Fourth Official: Michael Bingham (Warwickshire).

Attendance: 8,112 (including 433 Yeovil supporters)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape