Match Details: Leyton Orient v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Leyton Orient v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 18/09/2012
Leyton Orient 4-1 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Sam Foley (55)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Marek Stech, 5. Byron Webster, 6. Dominic Blizzard, 7. Keanu Marsh-Brown, 8. Ed Upson, 9. James Hayter, 11. Reuben Reid, 14. Sam Foley, 16. Nathan Ralph, 17. Rohan Ince, 21. Korey Smith
Subs: 2. Luke Ayling, 4. Richard Hinds, 12. Gareth Stewart, 15. Lewis Young, 18. Archange Nkumu, 19. Gozie Ugwu,

Substitutes Used: Gozie Ugwu for Keanu Marsh-Brown (46 mins), Luke Ayling for Dominic Blizzard (62 mins), Archange Nkumu for Rohan Ince (82 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town crashed to their third consecutive defeat tonight, as they were firmly beaten by Leyton Orient by a 4-1 scoreline. Poor defending let them down, as a somewhat makeshift defence saw cracks appear in a back line that has until tonight been relatively watertight. Early goals from Ben Chorley and Ryan Brunt set the tone of the game, as Orient grabbed a half time lead, and although Sam Foley pulled one back after the break, the home side ran away with the game as two quick goals from Jimmy Smith and Kevin Lisbie turned the scoreline into a bit of a thrashing as Yeovil slid down to 11th in the League One table.

The Glovers went into the match making four fairly radical changes on the back of defeats against MK Dons and Bournemouth. The surprises were the inclusions in the back four, as Dominic Blizzard played his first match as a right-back, whilst Rohan Ince came in for Richard Hinds. Elsewhere the inclusion of Keanu Marsh-Brown and Reuben Reid, replacing Lewis Young and Gozie Ugwu looked more a case of squad rotation, with those positions also having been changed on the weekend.

The new look back four got off to a horrible start as they conceded just three minutes into the match. Orient had just forced a dangerous corner that was cleared out for a throw-in. The long throw from Nathan Clarke didn't look to be anticipated, and Ben Chorley's glancing header barely seemed to require the defender to jump for the ball, as he deftly put the ball in at the far post for a soft opener. 1-0 down with just 211 seconds gone.

The opening goal was almost repeated after ten minutes as another long Nathan Clarke throw-in wasn't dealt with - Kevin Lisbie headed back across goal, and Ryan Brunt converted, but a linesman's flag had already correctly ruled the striker to be offside. The same player didn't have to wait too long though to get a legitimate goal. Orient's corners, throw-ins and crosses into the box were creating big problems for Yeovil's back four, with even Marek Stech getting a touch of the jitters as he punched away on a couple of occasions. But there was not much that Stech could do about Lee Cook's excellent left-wing cross, which split Yeovil's centre-back pairing, and allowed Ryan Brunt to skip between the two and plant a free header into the back of the net for a 2-0 lead.

Whilst the defence tended to look a little bit too much like rabbits in the headlights whenever balls were put into the box, not everything was entirely negative, with James Hayter forcing Ryan Allsop into an excellent save, with the keeper a little fortunate to immediately get a ricochet off a team-mate from the parried save back into his arms on the second attempt. Ed Upson shot wide from distance, but on the whole the home side deserved their half time lead for their greater invention, and it was no surprise to find a change being made at half time - Gozie Ugwu brought on for a largely ineffective Keanu Marsh-Brown.

That second period saw the Glovers come out looking much sharper, and in fact showing far more attacking intent than they'd managed during Saturday's defeat at MK Dons. That pressure bore fruit as Korey Smith forced his way into the box. As a shout went up for a penalty after a defensive challenge, the ball eventually squirmed across to Sam Foley at the back post, and he headed home from close range. 2-1 on 55 minutes and game on!

Then came the Glovers pressure - Sam Foley volleyed over the bar, whilst Ed Upson had a shot from distance blocked by a defender after Orient only half cleared their lines to the midfielder. For 15 or 20 minutes, it looked as though they were putting the home side on the back foot for the first time in the match, with their crosses now causing concern.

However, defensive frailties which let the team down in the first half ended up letting them down in the second period as well. Against the run of play, in terms of the second half play, Gary Sawyer's corner into the box saw Jimmy Smith arrive late in the box and entirely unchallenged, allowing the midfielder to restore Orient's two goal lead with 20 minutes to go.

There, the proverbial bubble of hope burst, and the Glovers conceded again just eight minutes later. Ironically, goalkeeper Ryan Allsop had just been booked for timewasting, after allowing the ball to run away from him when he was meant to be lining up a goal kick. That kick from Allsop was flicked on in a classic spot of long-ball football, and Kevin Lisbie ran through the gaps in Yeovil's defence to fire the ball home. 4-1 and definitely game over at this stage.

The Glovers had to thank Marek Stech for not ending up with a more embarrassing scoreline in the final ten minutes as their heads went down. That allowed chances for Orient's three substitutes David Mooney, Afolabi Obafemi and Moses Odubajo, but Stech was equal to all of them, with a double-save from the latter pairing particularly impressive as Orient threatened to run riot towards the end.

Thankfully though, that was that - apart from the 20 minute period in the opening period of the second half, Yeovil were second best throughout the game, particularly in defence, where the new-look back four never looked comfortable during the night. After such a bright start to the season, three defeats in a row is a little concerning, particularly with difficult looking fixtures against Sheffield United and Preston North End coming up. Gary Johnson needs to get his side back to doing what they were doing so right just a few weeks ago, to arrest that run of results.

Link: 2012-13 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Leyton Orient 4 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Ben Chorley (3 mins, 1-0), Ryan Brunt (24 mins, 2-0), Sam Foley (55 mins, 2-1), Jimmy Smith (71 mins, 3-1), Kevin Lisbie (79 mins, 4-1).

Leyton Orient:
16. Ryan Allsop
2. Leon McSweeney 4. Ben Chorley 15. Nathan Clarke 3. Gary Sawyer
7. Dean Cox 8. Anthony Griffith 11. Jimmy Smith 21. Lee Cook
9. Kevin Lisbie 26. Ryan Brunt

19. Charlie Grainger 6. Mathieu Baudry 14. Marc Laird 17. Moses Odubajo (67 mins for Lee Cook) 20. Afolabi Obafemi (86 mins for Kevin Lisbie) 39. Dave Mooney (81 mins for Ryan Brunt)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Marek Stech
6. Dominic Blizzard 17. Rohan Ince 5. Byron Webster (Capt) 16. Nathan Ralph
7. Keanu Marsh-Brown 21. Korey Smith 8. Ed Upson 14. Sam Foley
9. James Hayter 11. Reuben Reid

12. Gareth Stewart 18. Archange Nkumu (82 mins for Rohan Ince) 2. Luke Ayling (62 mins for Dominic Blizzard) 4. Richard Hinds 15. Lewis Young 19. Gozie Ugwu (46 mins for Keanu Marsh-Brown)

Leyton Bookings: Leon McSweeney (77 mins, foul), Ryan Allsop (79 mins, timewasting)

Yeovil Bookings: None.

Leyton Match Statistics: Possession: 56%; Shots: 16; Shots On Target: 12; Corners: 5; Fouls: 16.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 44%; Shots: 8; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 5; Fouls: 8.

Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire). Assistants: Christopher O'Donnell (Bedfordshire) and Adrian Sannerude (Suffolk). Fourth Official: Alexandra Ihringova (Shropshire).

Attendance: 2,876 (with 191 Yeovil fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape