Match Details: Yeovil Town v AFC Bournemouth
Match Details: Yeovil Town v AFC Bournemouth

Match Details: 08/09/2012
Yeovil Town 0-1 AFC Bournemouth
npower League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Marek Stech, 2. Luke Ayling, 4. Richard Hinds, 5. Byron Webster, 6. Dominic Blizzard, 7. Keanu Marsh-Brown, 8. Ed Upson, 9. James Hayter, 11. Reuben Reid, 14. Sam Foley, 16. Nathan Ralph,
Subs: 12. Gareth Stewart, 15. Lewis Young, 17. Rohan Ince, 18. Archange Nkumu, 19. Gozie Ugwu

Substitutes Used: Gozie Ugwu for Reuben Reid (42 mins), Rohan Ince for Dominic Blizzard (42 mins), Lewis Young for Keanu Marsh-Brown (63 mins)

Bookings: Byron Webster (Foul, 34), Gozie Ugwu (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 82)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down to their first League One defeat of the 2012-13 season, as a poor performance against AFC Bournemouth saw them lose at home by a single goal. A Richard Hughes free kick was the only difference between the two sides in terms of goals, but it was the visitors who deserved the points, with them looking far more likely throughout the whole 90 minutes to add to their tally than the home side did to equalising. Yeovil huffed'n'puffed throughout the day, eventually ending up dropping a place into third position in the League Table as a result.

The Glovers went into the match making one enforced change as Jamie McAllister began his three match suspension, allowing former Peterborough trainee Nathan Ralph to make his first ever start at Football League level. Byron Webster took over the captaincy from McAllister, but otherwise things were pretty much as you were, with the only other change being the addition of Archange Nkumu to the Glovers bench, after he was left out in midweek due to Football League Trophy rules on the numbers of substitutes. In the Bournemouth line-up was the familiar face of Shaun MacDonald, who had scored twice for the Cherries in midweek, and so went back to Huish Park on a high.

The visitors took the upper hand in the first half right from the start of the game, with a slip by Richard Hinds early on letting in Wes Fogden, via a huge gap in the centre of defence. Sam Foley shot narrowly wide at the other end, but it was largely the Cherries who were dominating, with Shaun MacDonald firing wide and Harry Arter having two shots blocked. Bournemouth controlled a tired looking Yeovil midfield, thanks to a diamond formation, with Lewis Grabban and MacDonald frequently pulling the strings.

When Bournemouth took the lead ten minutes before the break, there was no doubt that they deserved the advantage, even if there was a bit of debate amongst Glovers fans over whether Byron Webster had won the ball that saw Josh McQuoid fouled for a free kick. Richard Hughes stepped up from 25 yards out, and like Tuesday night, it was a set piece free kick that broke the deadlock - but this time against the Glovers.

Gary Johnson clearly wasn't impressed by what he saw out there during the first half. He made a double substitution just before the break, introducing Gozie Ugwu and Rohan Ince for Reuben Reid and Dominic Blizzard in a like for like swap, without waiting for the 'chat' in the dressing room to fire his players up - although doubtless that happened as well. There was a slight reaction from that as the Glovers attacked the Thatchers end of the ground, and the game became incredibly stretched as Yeovil put in their efforts to produce an equaliser by pushing players up, but with the problem that Bournemouth could easily punish them on the break.

Lewis Young was introduced as a third substitution even though half an hour remained. But really the three substitutes failed to make an impact upon the game, and it was Bournemouth who really should have got the crucial goal - missing a couple of gilt-edged chances to seal the game. Notably, Lewis Grabban released Wes Thomas in the closing stages, only for the substitute to fire wide of the target, whilst Marek Stech produced what is now his customary set of strong saves when his back four was breached.

All in all it was a tired performance, and it would have been unjust if the Glovers had sneaked a late goal. They drop one place to third in the League One table, and will be glad that for the first time since the season started that there is no midweek fixture. The problems of maintaining such a small squad were visible, although that couldn't be presented as the only excuse for the defeat, with the Cherries the better side throughout the game.

Link: 2012-13 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 AFC Bournemouth 1.

Scorers: Richard Hughes (0-1, 35 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Marek Stech
2. Luke Ayling 4. Richard Hinds 5. Byron Webster (Capt) 16. Nathan Ralph
7. Keanu Marsh-Brown 6. Dominic Blizzard 8. Ed Upson 14. Sam Foley
9. James Hayter 11. Reuben Reid

12. Gareth Stewart 15. Lewis Young (63 mins for Keanu Marsh-Brown) 17. Rohan Ince (42 mins for Dominic Blizzard) 18. Archange Nkumu 19. Gozie Ugwu (42 mins for Reuben Reid)

AFC Bournemouth:
1. Shwan Jalal
2. Simon Francis 24. Miles Addison 13. Tommy Elphick 3. Steve Cook
8. Harry Arter 16. Shaun MacDonald 26. Richard Hughes 12. Wes Fogden
22. Lewis Grabban 17. Josh McQuoid

25. Darryl Flahavan 18. Matt Tubbs 9. Wes Thomas (68 mins for Josh McQuoid) 4. Stephane Zubar 11. Charlie Daniels 7. Marc Pugh (74 mins for Wes Fogden) 6. Joe Partington (61 mins for Richard Hughes)

Yeovil Bookings: Byron Webster (foul, 34 mins), Gozie Ugwu (kicking ball away, 82 mins)

Bournemouth Bookings: Richard Hughes (foul, 49 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 43%; Shots: 5; Shots On Target: 1; Corners: 1; Fouls: 8.

Bournemouth Match Statistics: Possession: 57%; Shots: 15; Shots On Target: 7; Corners: 6; Fouls: 12.

Referee: Iain Williamson (Berkshire). Assistants: Timothy Wood (Gloucestershire) and Paul Rees (Somerset). Fourth Official: Kevin Johnson (Somerset).

Attendance: 5,238 (with 1,450 Bournemouth fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape