Match Details: Huddersfield Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Huddersfield Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 05/05/2012
Huddersfield Town 2-0 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Sam Walker, 2. Luke Ayling, 4. Bondz N'Gala, 5. Paul Huntington, 6. Dominic Blizzard, 7. Andy Williams, 8. Ed Upson, 14. Lawson D'Ath, 16. Jonathan Franks, 17. Jonathan Grounds, 18. Kieran Agard,
Subs: 10. Gavin Williams, 15. Josh Morris, 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown, 24. Gareth Stewart, 36. Mitch Brundle

Substitutes Used: Gavin Williams for Lawson D'Ath (45 mins), Josh Morris for Kieran Agard (81 mins)

Bookings: Bondz N'Gala (Foul, 9)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down to a 2-0 defeat on the final game of the 2011-12 season, as League One play-off contenders Huddersfield Town justified their position in the table at the Galpharm Stadium. Lee Novak netted the opener just before the half time whistle, and although the Glovers improved during the second period, Daniel Ward sealed the points for the Terriers with a ball driven into the bottom corner, leaving Yeovil completing the season in 17th place, whilst their opponents will now extend their season into the play-off stages.

The Glovers went into the match making two changes to their starting line-up. Defender Richard Hinds had rather oddly run out of contract at the club meaning that he was not part of the squad, with Bondz N'Gala shuffling across from right-back to fill his position. Luke Ayling in turn moved from midfield to right-back. That allowed Ed Upson to return after his midfield berth following a three match suspension. Up front, Jonathan Obika's hamstring strain meant that he dropped out of the squad, allowing Kieran Agard to get a start in the side. On the bench, Josh Morris and Gavin Williams were drafted in.

Whilst Huddersfield initially started the game well, Yeovil had the first significant chance went close from an Ed Upson free kick. Paul Huntington just failed to get on the end of a set piece awarded after Damien Johnson had cynically hacked down Jonathan Franks. However, as the game gradually formed a pattern, it was the home side who were largely on top, particularly exploiting Yeovil's left flank, with full-back Jack Hunt almost playing as a winger, in terms of how far up the field he was progressing.

Kallum Higginbotham shot straight at Sam Walker, then danger man Jack Hunt fed Scott Arfield who shot into the side netting, but the Terriers couldn't find the opening goal, and it seemed that the longer the half went on, the more restless the Terriers fans got - even if this match didn't really matter to them. Yeovil weren't really threatening at the other end - Kieran Agard had a few sniffs of goal, but his tendency to want to take two touches to control the ball was meaning that his opportunities were lost far too quickly.

The real battle on the pitch though was between Lawson D'Ath and Jack Hunt, and there was only one winner. Gary Johnson had shouted instructions to the Reading loanee on numerous occasions, but he couldn't get close enough to the full-back to bother him. In fairness to D'Ath, Hunt was chosen for the League One team of the season, and he showed why, then on the stroke of half time he put in a cross, and Lee Novak's flicked header put the Terriers a goal up, that their play probably deserved. Johnson responded by substituting D'Ath - a fairly humiliating experience for the player given that by the time Gavin Williams replaced him there was only 30 seconds before the break.

The second period saw an immediate improvement, with Gavin Williams and Jonathan Franks swapping wings, giving the more pacey Middlesbrough man a chance to shackle Jack Hunt and put him on the back foot. An early shot for Williams was followed up by his namesake Andy dancing his way through the Huddersfield midfield and forcing Terriers keeper Ian Bennett into his first proper save of the game, parrying the ball out as far as Kieran Agard, and then saving again on the rebound as the ball went out for a corner.

Huddersfield still threatened during the second period, although not with quite the same intensity. They went close when Sean Morrison's header was cleared off the line by Luke Ayling, who was holding one of the goalposts on a corner. Later a Morrison header went over the bar as the home side mainly threatened from set pieces.

The Terriers still had enough class though to seal the game. On 72 minutes, a crossfield ball from Damien Johnson caught out Luke Ayling, who lost his marker, allowing Daniel Ward to break free and hit a well struck shot into bottom right hand corner to make it 2-0 and pretty much wrap the game up. With Huddersfield choosing that moment to introduce League One's top scorer Jordan Rhodes onto the field, their first substitution wasn't likely to make the Glovers feel that they were about to get back into the game.

Yeovil did try one last switch - bringing on Josh Morris for Kieran Agard, allowing Jonathan Franks to go up front for the final ten minutes. But on the whole, the Glovers front line were well shackled by the Huddersfield back four for the majority of the afternoon, and clear-cut chances hard to come by. Danny Ward could have grabbed a third in second half injury time as Sam Walker produced a terrific save to take the ball out for a corner, and that was that - the 2011-12 season closing out on a slight low - even if the 11 point gap between Yeovil and the relegation spots show how much they've achieved during the second half of the season. The main question now is whether they can hang on to those players that got them into that 17th placed position. Upson looks set to stay, but will the others?

Link: 2011-12 Final League One Table.

Final Score: Huddersfield Town 2 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: Lee Novak (45 mins, 1-0), Daniel Ward (72 mins, 2-0)

Huddersfield Town:
13. Ian Bennett
32. Jack Hunt 15. Sean Morrison 5. Peter Clarke 2. Calum Woods
16. Scott Arfield 14. Damien Johnson 18. Tommy Miller 11. Daniel Ward
21. Lee Novak 27. Kallum Higginbotham

1. Alex Smithies (GK) 7. Gary Roberts 12. Tom Clarke (80 mins for Jack Hunt) 17. Jordan Rhodes (73 mins for Lee Novak) 22. Anton Robinson (74 mins for Damien Johnson)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Sam Walker
2. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 4. Bondz N'Gala 17. Jonathan Grounds
16. Jonathan Franks 8. Ed Upson 6. Dominic Blizzard 14. Lawson D'Ath
18. Kieran Agard 7. Andy Williams

24. Gareth Stewart (GK) 10. Gavin Williams (45 mins for Lawson D'Ath) 15. Josh Morris (81 mins for Kieran Agard) 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown 36. Mitch Brundle

Yeovil Bookings: Bondz N'Gala (foul, 9 mins)

Huddersfield Bookings: Damien Johnson (foul, 3 mins)

Referee: Carl Berry (Surrey). Assistants: Peter Bankes (Merseyside) and Robert Merchant (Staffordshire). Fourth Official: Jason Tyas (West Yorkshire).

Attendance: 13,520 (with 262 Yeovil supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape