Match Details: Yeovil Town v Stevenage Borough
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Stevenage Borough

Match Details: 14/04/2012
Yeovil Town 0-6 Stevenage Borough
npower League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Sam Walker, 2. Luke Ayling, 5. Paul Huntington, 6. Dominic Blizzard, 7. Andy Williams, 10. Gavin Williams, 12. Michael Woods, 14. Lawson D'Ath, 16. Jonathan Franks, 17. Jonathan Grounds, 28. Richard Hinds,
Subs: 4. Bondz N'Gala, 18. Kieran Agard, 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown, 24. Gareth Stewart, 29. Jonathan Obika

Substitutes Used: Jonathan Obika for Gavin Williams (46 mins), Bondz N'Gala for Paul Huntington (46 mins), Curtis Haynes-Brown for Jonathan Grounds (80 mins)

Bookings: , Jonathan Grounds (Foul, 59)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town crashed to their worst home defeat since 1958, as they were thrashed 0-6 against Stevenage this afternoon. Former Glover Luke Freeman did the damage as he got the first and last of those goals, with the Glovers playing an hour of the match with ten men after Michael Woods was given a straight red card. The visitors took a big advantage, with Patrick Agyemang, Jon Ashton, Jamaal Lascelles and Mark Roberts all netting in what turned into a one-sided rout.

Team news saw Ed Upson drop out of the squad due to suspension, allowing Gavin Williams to return following the hamstring injury he sustained in the middle of last month at Charlton. There was one other change on the bench, with a Josh Morris dropping out due to illness, meaning that Yeovil Town's usual 'sixth loan' problem was resolved, allowing Jonathan Obika a chance to return to the squad for the first time in two weeks.

For what was to follow, oddly Yeovil Town started as the brighter team, albeit in a half that didn't see too many chances created. Andy Williams had the main early chance - one that he sliced badly high and wide. However, the penetration and passing was there at the start. When Stevenage scored 13 minutes into the match, it was even against the run of play, although Yeovil's defending was sloppy - Craig Reid fed Patrick Agyemang in wide open space, and he in turn found former Glovers striker Luke Freeman, who did the usual trick of a former player coming back to haunt his old club.

That started to show the flaw in the Glovers play. Whilst they were relatively okay going forward, in terms of their defending as a team, they were rather casual, with a bit of an 'end of season' attitude to it all. Mark Roberts headed over as a warning that the visitors could be dangerous from set pieces.

Just past the half hour mark the game changed for the definite worse - Michael Woods went on for a tackle with Michael Bostwick, and caught his man - referee Stuart Attwell deeming it to be a dangerous challenge, sending Yeovil Town to ten men. Although the Huish Park crowd made it clear what they thought of the decision, captain Paul Huntington said after the game he didn't have too many complaints about it, although it left Yeovil with a problem on their hands.

They could have equalised almost straight after that red card though, as Andy Williams managed to break past Chris Day - the visiting keeper made a grab for Willo in an attempt to take him down, but the striker tried to stay on his feet and by the time he shot at goal, Scott Laird was able to clear the ball off the line. Referee Attwell kept his whistle in his pocket - if Williams had dropped to the floor after Day's challenge then it would have been a very different situation.

Yeovil's problems got worse just before the break when Patrick Agyemang, who spent the second half of the 200910 season on loan at Bristol City under Gary Johnson, repaid his old boss by latching onto a longball from Jamaal Lascelles, and no-one tracked the striker as he finished well into the bottom corner for a decisive 44th minute goal and a 0-2 half time scoreline.

Glovers boss Gary Johnson made a double change at half time, surprisingly taking off captain Paul Huntington and playmaker Gavin Williams, introducing Jonathan Obika and Bondz N'Gala as they readjusted into a 3-4-2 formation in an effort to get back into the match. They struggled to create good chances, with referee Stuart Attwell making a number of contentious decisions, notably when Jonathan Obika was tackled by Scott Laird in the box, going down but with the referee refusing to blow up.

The defence though seemed to be shooting themselves in the foot throughout the afternoon, and the game was well and truly over as they failed to defend corners twice inside three minutes - something that the man deficit could not excuse. Stacy Long's near post corner in the 69th minute was headed home easily at the near post by Jon Ashton. And three became four, just three minutes later, when Luke Freeman swung in another set piece for Jamaal Lascelles to head home.

With the Glovers now badly falling apart, and being taken on the counter-attack with frequent ease, it was no surprise when Stevenage grabbed two late goals to put the seal on an embarrassing scoreline. Mark Roberts smashed home from close range, as Luke Freeman's weaving in the box undid his former club. After Jordan Slew had a goal ruled out for offside, Luke Freeman got involved in Stevenage's sixth and final goal just two minutes from time, as Jennison Myrie-Williams - another former Gary Johnson player - crossed into the box, and Freeman got his second into the roof of the net.

Whilst some fans may look at referee Stuart Attwell's decision to send off Michael Woods as being highly influential in the game, the Glovers defending on the day wasn't good enough. Mercifully a 90th minute Oldham Athletic equaliser at Wycombe Wanderers stopped a drama becoming a crisis, as the gap between the Glovers and the relegation spots only closed by one point today, with them slipping to 17th. But this was a morale-damaging defeat, and manager Gary Johnson will have his work cut out to get his team back on track, particularly with 20th placed Leyton Orient his side's opponents next weekend at Brisbane Road.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Stevenage 6.

Scorers: Luke Freeman (0-1, 13 mins), Patrick Agyemang (0-2, 44 mins), Jon Ashton (0-3, 69 mins), Jamaal Lascelles (0-4, 72 mins), Mark Roberts (0-5, 82 mins), Luke Freeman (0-6, 88 mins).

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Sam Walker
2. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 28. Richard Hinds 17. Jonathan Grounds
10. Gavin Williams 12. Michael Woods 6. Dominic Blizzard 14. Lawson D'Ath
16. Jonathan Franks 7. Andy Williams

24. Gareth Stewart (GK) 4. Bondz N'Gala (46 mins for Paul Huntington) 18. Kieran Agard 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown (80 mins for Jonathan Grounds) 29. Jonathan Obika (46 mins for Gavin Williams)

16. Chris Day
30. Jamaal Lascelles 14. Mark Roberts 5. Jon Ashton 3. Scott Laird
2. Lawrie Wilson 8. Stacy Long 24. Michael Bostwick 15. Luke Freeman
10. Craig Reid 29. Patrick Agyemang

11. Jennison Myrie-Williams (74 mins for Lawrie Wilson) 21. John Mousinho (79 mins for Michael Bostwick) 27. Jordan Slew (60 mins for Craig Reid) 19. Michael Thalassitis 32. Robin Shroot

Yeovil Bookings: Jonathan Grounds (foul, 59 mins). Red Card: Michael Woods (serious foul play, 33 mins).

Stevenage Bookings: Jamaal Lascelles (16 mins, foul).

Referee: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire) Assistants: John Busby (Oxfordshire) and Mark Pottage (Dorset). Fourth Official: Rob Hyde (London).

Attendance: 3,610 (with 157 Stevenage supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape