Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 25/02/2012
Carlisle United 3-2 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Jonathan Obika (46), Dominic Blizzard (82)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Sam Walker, 2. Luke Ayling, 3. Nathan Jones, 4. Bondz N'Gala, 7. Andy Williams, 8. Ed Upson, 10. Gavin Williams, 14. Lawson D'Ath, 16. Jonathan Franks, 28. Richard Hinds, 29. Jonathan Obika
Subs: 6. Dominic Blizzard, 12. Michael Woods, 17. Jonathan Franks, 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown, 24. Gareth Stewart,

Substitutes Used: Dominic Blizzard for Lawson D'Ath (51 mins), Jonathan Grounds for Nathan Jones (62 mins)

Bookings: Richard Hinds (Foul, 37)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town grabbed their third consecutive 3-2 result this afternoon, but this time with no sensational comeback to their name. Yet again trailing at half time, through a Lee Miller penalty, it looked as though they were on for another second half comeback when Jonathan Obika equalised just 17 seconds after the break. But sloppy defending allowed Patrick Madden to grab back control, and even though Dominic Blizzard pulled the scores back to 2-2 with eight minutes left, Francois Zoko had the last laugh, netting in injury time to give the Cumbrians a 3-2 win.

The Glovers went into the match making just one change to their starting line-up. With Dean Parrett suffering a bruised knee last weekend, he had returned to Tottenham Hotspur for treatment and that allowed Jonathan Franks a chance to make his debut, coming in as a right-winger, with Lawson D'Ath moving into the centre.

The first half saw the Glovers almost get off to a flyer, as Jonathan Obika and Andy Williams combined to nearly open up the scoring within 20 seconds of the game starting. Williams ran through the centre, forcing a rather clumsy save out of Adam Collin, who scooped the ball around his post for a corner. Then Williams ran at the Carlisle defence a second time, as they backed off, unsettled by his pace, but with the end product lacking.

That was sadly as good as it got in an opening 45 minutes that saw Carlisle's own pace man Francois Zoko impose his presence upon the game, forcing Glovers keeper Sam Walker to parry their first chance of the game. Walker was increasingly involved in the match, saving from Lee Miller, and then producing a double block from a Danny Livesey header, which he parried, diving bravely at the feet of an incoming Carlisle player who was trying to mop up the loose ball.

Yeovil's chances were rare and even when Andy Williams forced Carlisle keeper Adam Collin to palm the ball over his own bar for a corner, that was probably meant as a cross into the box. The home side's pressure told on 34 minutes when they won a penalty, with Bondz N'Gala penalised for handling in the box - referee Scott Mathieson judging it to be deliberate, despite the cross from Jon-Paul McGovern hitting him at close range. Lee Miller took spot kick duties to put the home side ahead, and give them a half time lead their play largely deserved.

The second period got off to a sensational start, as the Glovers responded just 17 seconds after kick-off with an equalising goal. Jonathan Obika only had a narrow angle to aim at, but his left-footed shot seemed to catch Carlisle keeper Adam Collin half asleep after the half time cup of tea, and the Glovers were level at 1-1.

Not that they held it for long. Some kamikaze defending throughout the match from both sides had a lot to do with the five goals that were scored during the afternoon, and that was epitomised when Bondz N'Gala was caught inside his own half whilst dithering over the ball. Patrick Madden easily dispossessed him, and ran through, slotting the ball past the advancing Sam Walker, and into the back of the net. Back to square one at 2-1.

Yeovil introduced Dominic Blizzard as an early second half substitute, with Lawson D'Ath having suffered what looked to be a hip injury that he was struggling to run off. Then Jonathan Grounds replaced Nathan Jones in a like-for-like swap, and he made an early impression as he forced a terrific save from Adam Collin, after he drove a powerful shot on goal.

Jonathan Grounds was also involved in Yeovil's equalising goal. Luke Ayling's free kick, after Jonathan Obika was fouled, was swung into the box, Grounds won the ball, and it dropped to Dominic Blizzard, and the substitute lashed the ball home with his left foot from inside the box, and into the bottom corner of the net. Slightly against the run of play, but at 2-2 and just eight minutes to go, it seemed as though the Glovers might snatch a point.

Both sides hit the woodwork within a minute of each other - Francois Zoko headed past Sam Walker and was on the edge of celebrating when the ball came off the post. The ball was cleared as far as Gavin Williams, and his ball through to Andy Williams saw the striker race through on goal, with his shot coming off the crossbar - so close to an incredible winner.

Instead the last word fell to Francois Zoko and a bit of schoolboy defending. A long ball over the top saw the striker run onto the ball, and he got his boot on it before Sam Walker could get near it, with the keeper being caught hopelessly out of position. Even so, there were enough defenders who could have and should have stopped Zoko from weaving and turning before firing the winner through a crowd of legs and into the back of the net for a chaotic 93rd minute winning goal. 3-2 and no coming back this time.

Despite the defeat, a string of 0-0 draws amongst sides in and around the bottom eight meant that Yeovil Town stay in 18th place, although the gap between them and the bottom four has now shrunk to one point, whilst Wycombe's incredible 5-0 win over Hartlepool means that they climb off the bottom. What was a five point gap a week ago, suddenly doesn't look quite so easy seven days later. This battle isn't over just yet.

Link: 2011-12 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Carlisle United 3 Yeovil Town 2.

Scorers: Lee Miller (1-0, pen, 34 mins), Jonathan Obika (1-1, 46 mins), Patrick Madden (2-1, 49 mins), Dominic Blizzard (2-2, 82 mins), Francois Zoko (3-2, 90 mins)

Carlisle United:
1. Adam Collin
2. Frank Simek 5. Danny Livesey 6. Peter Murphy 19. Ben Parker
4. Jon-Paul McGovern 12. Tom Taiwo 21. James Berrett 13. Francois Zoko
14. Lee Miller 10. Patrick Madden

20. Mark Gillespie (GK) 16. Jordan Cook 17. Liam Noble 24. Chris Chantler 25. Lubomir Michalik

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Sam Walker
2. Luke Ayling (C) 28. Richard Hinds 4. Bondz N'Gala 3. Nathan Jones
16. Jonathan Franks 14. Lawson D'Ath 8. Ed Upson 10. Gavin Williams
7. Andy Williams 29. Jon Obika

24. Gareth Stewart (GK) 6. Dominic Blizzard (51 mins for Lawson D'Ath) 12. Michael Woods 17. Jonathan Grounds (62 mins for Nathan Jones) 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown

Carlisle Bookings: Tom Taiwo (foul, 39 mins), Francois Zoko (foul, 60 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Richard Hinds (foul, 37 mins)

Referee: Scott Mathieson (Cheshire). Assistants: Paul Curry (Northumberland) and Paul Davison (Cleveland). Fourth Official: Richard Clark (Northumberland).

Attendance: 4,265 (including 120 Yeovil supporters)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape