Match Details: Sheffield Wednesday v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Sheffield Wednesday v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 04/02/2012
Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Jonathan Obika (41)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Sam Walker, 2. Luke Ayling, 4. Bondz N'Gala, 7. Andy Williams, 8. Ed Upson, 10. Gavin Williams, 12. Ryan Dickson, 15. Joe Edwards, 22. Dean Parrett, 28. Richard Hinds, 29. Jonathan Obika
Subs: 3. Nathan Jones, 9. Steve MacLean, 18. Kieran Agard, 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown, 24. Gareth Stewart,

Substitutes Used: Curtis Haynes-Brown for Dean Parrett (75 mins)

Bookings: Ed Upson (Foul, 28)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down to a 2-1 lead at Hillsborough this afternoon, despite holding the lead at half time. A goal from Jonathan Obika four minutes from the break, shocked Sheffield Wednesday's players and their fans, and for the middle period of the game, it looked as though a shock might be on the cards. But former Glovers (ultra-brief) loan player Jermaine Johnson once again scored against the Glovers, whilst his namesake Reda Johnson won it ten minutes before time when the former Plymouth man scored the winner from a set piece that wasn't cleared. With only four games played in League One, the Glovers remain in 18th position.

Team news saw just one change, with Club Captain Paul Huntington suspended, allowing Richard Hinds a chance to come in and make his debut against a club that he spent four years at, returning to his home town in the process. Otherwise with Kelly Youga and Dominic Blizzard still not fit, the sixteen players were exactly as you were, with no other changes warranted or needed following last weekend's win over Preston North End.

The first half was one of few chances. Despite Wednesday having the upper hand in terms of possession and drive, the Glovers were tending to prove that quality, not quantity counted in terms of the final ball into the box. The best the home side mustered during the half was a Jon Bostock free kick that had Sam Walker beaten, but nestled on the top of the goal frame, with the strike of the frame initially convincing a few Owls fans that the ball had gone in the net.

Yeovil struggled to carve out their own chances, but they should have been a goal up, when Dean Parrett intercepted possession moving into the box. The Tottenham Hotspur loanee probably should have taken the ball on himself and shot. Instead he dithered somewhat and crossed the ball to Gavin Williams, with experienced midfielder David Prutton doing enough to intercept and stop the opening goal.

Wednesday sometimes threatened - notably when Jermaine Johnson cut in from the left flank and threatened a repeat of a goal he'd scored against the Glovers, but thankfully fired wide of the target. Then there was a nervy spell where both Gary Madine and Jermaine Johnson left the Yeovil defence back-pedalling madly, with Upson upending the latter for a yellow card when put under pressure. But despite that, the home side struggled to carve out anything to particularly worry Sam Walker in anger.

Instead, it was the Glovers who took the lead, against the run of play, four minutes before the break. Ryan Dickson made a bursting run down the flank, and when he crossed into the box, a delicate flick from Jonathan Obika was perfectly timed to slot the ball into the back of the net for a 0-1 lead. Bar the 300 travelling Glovers fans, you could have heard a pin drop at Hillsborough.

Suddenly, the Glovers sniffed hope, and carved out more chances in the four minutes that followed than they had in the preceding 41 that had gone. Dean Parrett's cross into the box almost induced an own goal from Danny Batth as he desperately tried to stop Jonathan Obika from getting a shot in behind the defender. Having to push up a little more since the goal, the Owls defence were starting to get caned on the break, with the extra room Yeovil were able to get behind them, and it was inevitable that when the half time whistle came that there would be loud boos from the Owls fans, and they didn't disappoint in showing their feelings.

Owls manager Gary Megson's opinions of their first half were clearly mirrored, given that seven minutes into the second half, he made a double substitution, introducing Ryan Lowe and Lewis Buxton into midfield and right-back positions respectively. Lowe almost netted with his first touch as he put wide from inside the box, but it still only took five minutes for Wednesday to fashion an equaliser. Yeovil Town know far too well what Jermaine Johnson can do, with Gary Johnson having once briefly taken him on an aborted loan, and the player having scored the opening goal in last season's match at Huish Park. He got too much space outside the box, and as the Glovers midfield failed to close him down, he unleashed a superb shot from 25 yards out and into the back of the net. 1-1 and suddenly the disgruntled home crowd were in a happy mood again; willing to back their team.

Inevitably, that goal saw Sheffield Wednesday attempt to turn the screw for the winning goal. They brought on Clinton Morrison as a third substitution, completing a swap-out of both of their strikers who had struggled against the physical presence of Richard Hinds and Bondz N'Gala. That gave the Owls a lot more movement up front, and with Jermaine Johnson in sparkling form on their left flank, the home side dominating the half.

It was no surprise when the home side finally grabbed the lead ten minutes from the end. Bondz N'Gala fouled Ryan Lowe outside the box. Lewis Buxton took the set piece, and after a series of headers, and a save from Sam Walker, Yeovil couldn't get the ball clear, and Reda Johnson was on hand to prod the ball home for what was to prove to be the winning goal.

The Glovers tried to force their way back into the match, with Ed Upson having a shot blocked, whilst Gavin Williams saw a chance deflected for a corner. But Sheffield Wednesday played out time 'professionally' - in Jermaine Johnson's case a little too professionally as he was penalised for timewasting. Overall, the final score was probably deserved, although having held the lead up until just short of the hour mark, defeat was a little hard to take.

Link: 2011-12 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Sheffield Wednesday 2 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Jonathan Obika (41 mins, 0-1), Jermaine Johnson (57 mins, 1-1), Reda Johnson (80 mins, 2-1)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Sam Walker
2. Luke Ayling 28. Richard Hinds 4. Bondz N'Gala 12. Ryan Dickson
15. Joe Edwards 8. Ed Upson 22. Dean Parrett 10. Gavin Williams
7. Andy Williams 29. Jon Obika

24. Gareth Stewart (GK) 3. Nathan Jones 9. Steven MacLean 18. Kieran Agard 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown (75 mins for Dean Parrett)

Sheffield Wednesday:
43. Stephen Bywater
20. Jon Otsemobor 4. Danny Batth 32. Miguel Angel Llera 17. Reda Johnson
7. David Prutton 6. Jose Vitor Semedo 10. John Bostock 11. Jermaine Johnson
9. Chris O'Grady 14. Gary Madine

23. Richard O'Donnell (GK) 2. Lewis Buxton (53 mins for Jon Otsemobor) 8. Chris Lines 19. Clinton Morrison (68 mins for Chris O'Grady) 30. Ryan Lowe (52 mins for Gary Madine)

Sheffield Wednesday Bookings: Reda Johnson (21 mins, foul), Jermaine Johnson (89 mins, timewasting), Ryan Lowe (90 mins, foul)

Yeovil Bookings: Ed Upson (28 mins, foul)

Referee: Mark Brown (East Yorkshire). Assistants: Mark Griffiths (South Yorkshire) and Keith Lawson (South Humberside). Fourth Official: Daniel Meeson (Staffordshire).

Attendance: 17,213 (including approx 300 Yeovil fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape