Match Details: Hartlepool United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Hartlepool United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 26/11/2011
Hartlepool United 0-1 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Bondz N'Gala (25)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Rene Gilmartin, 2. Luke Ayling, 4. Bondz N'Gala, 5. Paul Huntington, 6. Dominic Blizzard, 7. Andy Williams, 8. Ed Upson, 14. Max Ehmer, 18. Kieran Agard, 20. Paul Wotton, 37. Conor Clifford
Subs: 9. Steve MacLean, 15. Kerrea Gilbert, 21. Gavin Massey, 24. Gareth Stewart, 29. Jonathan Obika,

Substitutes Used: Gavin Massey for Conor Clifford (68 mins), Jonathan Obika for Andy Williams (78 mins), Steve MacLean for Kieran Agard (87 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town grabbed their first away win of the 2011-12 season, as they claimed only their second victory at Victoria Park. The 1-0 win over Hartlepool United was secured thanks to a Bondz N'Gala header, converted from an Ed Upson corner. The home side looked edgy throughout, but applied plenty of pressure during the game with Andy Monkhouse and Nathan Luscombe both hitting the woodwork, but they could not convert their possession into chances and goals as Yeovil's back four held firm throughout.

The Glovers went into the match making two changes to their starting line-up with both a legacy of their use of the loan market. Goalkeeper Rene Gilmartin came in to make his debut, displacing goalkeeping coach Gareth Stewart to the bench. Meanwhile the loss of centre-back Darren Purse, who is now on loan at Plymouth Argyle, meant that Bondz N'Gala was able to regain his place in the starting line-up. Once again, Oli Johnson missed out as the club's sixth loan. A late refereeing change saw David Coote take charge, replacing Tony Bates.

A very quiet opening period saw Andy Williams have a couple of half attempts, whilst Kieran Agard threatened with his speed. But at the other end, Andy Monkhouse had the match's first real chance - a stinger of a shot that struck the crossbar from distance. However, it was the Glovers that drew blood after Kieran Agard's shot was deflected for a corner on 25 minutes. Ed Upson's corner was lofted in, and Bondz N'Gala was on hand to put Yeovil a goal up, as his downward header evaded the man on the line.

A slightly restless home Hartlepool crowd saw Yeovil get the ball in the back of the net a second time shortly afterwards, although on this occasion Andy Williams was judged to be in an offside position, as he converted from a Max Ehmer cross into the box. Williams then weaved his way through the edgy Hartlepool defence, only to rise his shot over the crossbar, as the goal boosted Yeovil's confidence, making them the dominant side during the closing stages of the half. Williams then turned provider, as he put through Kieran Agard, but the young striker delayed his shot, giving Pools defender Stephen Wright a chance to take the ball off the striker's boot for a corner.

Half time saw the home side walk off to a chorus of boos - perhaps a measure of how well the Glovers had done following the N'Gala opener. It was therefore no surprise to find Pools boss Mick Wadsworth making a change, with Adam Boyd coming on as a half time change up front. He had an early attempt to lob Rene Gilmartin, but the Watford keeper acrobatically stopped Boyd's attempt. Andy Monkhouse then threatened the Yeovil goal, but once again Gilmartin saved.

The home side put in plenty of pressure during the half, but without being able to create much in the way of clear-cut chances, with plenty of territory and pressure, but without Rene Gilmartin having to do too much to cope with, as they reached the 18 yard line, and then frequently struggled to find the final ball into the box.

Yeovil introduced Gavin Massey and Jonathan Obika during the second half, as they attempted to introduce fresh legs to what was ultimately a rearguard action during the second period. But for all of Hartlepool's pressure, it was the Glovers who created the first clear-cut chance of the half - and it had to come on the break given the balance of play. Kieran Agard burst through on goal, and his attempt to lob former Yeovil loanee Scott Flinders saw the keeper brilliantly stop the attempt with a single hand. At the other end, Antony Sweeney got a header on target, but fired it straight at Rene Gilmartin's stomach.

Right at the death, substitute Nathan Luscombe could have grabbed Hartlepool a point, as he struck the post, 92 minutes into the match - a shot that could have been a real killer for the 55 travelling supporters, but thankfully bounced clear of the goal. The home side's pressure in the end counted for nothing, and the Glovers got their first away win of the 2011-12 season. The win still keeps them in 22nd place in the League One table, but they are now bearing down on the sides above them, and are just one point away from the safety line.

Final Score: Hartlepool United 0 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Bondz N'Gala (0-1, 25 mins)

Hartlepool United:
1. Scott Flinders
2. Neil Austin 29. Peter Hartley 12. Stephen Wright 6. Evan Horwood
15. Antony Sweeney 20. Paul Murray 4. Gary Liddle 24. Nolberto Solano
8. James Poole 11. Andy Monkhouse

21. Andy Rafferty (GK) 16. Steven Haslam 3. Ritchie Humphreys (76 mins for Paul Murray) 14. Nathan Luscombe (64 mins for Nolberto Solano) 10. Adam Boyd (46 mins for James Poole)

Yeovil Town: (4-1-2-1-2)
1. Rene Gilmartin
2. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 4. Bondz N'Gala 14. Max Ehmer
20. Paul Wotton
6. Dominic Blizzard 8. Edward Upson
37. Conor Clifford
7. Andrew Williams 18. Kieran Agard

24. Gareth Stewart (GK) 9. Steve MacLean (87 mins for Kieran Agard) 15. Kerrea Gilbert 21. Gavin Massey (68 mins for Conor Clifford) 29. Jonathan Obika (78 mins for Andy Williams)

Hartlepool Bookings: None.

Yeovil Bookings: None.

Referee: David Coote (Nottinghamshire). Assistants: Billy Khatib (Sunderland) and Keith Lawson (South Humberside). Fourth Official: Anthony Backhouse (Cumbria).

Attendance: 4,604 (including 55 Yeovil supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape