Match Details: Scunthorpe United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Scunthorpe United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 24/09/2011
Scunthorpe United 2-1 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Paul Wotton (45)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Jed Steer, 2. Luke Ayling, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Paul Huntington, 8. Ed Upson, 9. Steve MacLean, 11. Anthony Edgar, 14. Max Ehmer, 17. Alan O'Brien, 18. Kieran Agard, 20. Paul Wotton,
Subs: 4. Bondz N'Gala, 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown, 21. Gavin Massey, 23. Billy Gibson, 24. Gareth Stewart

Substitutes Used: Gavin Massey for Anthony Edgar (67 mins), Billy Gibson for Alan O'Brien (78 mins), Curtis Haynes-Brown for Nathan Jones (84 mins)

Bookings: Ed Upson (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 72)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down by a 2-1 scoreline this afternoon, as their miserable recent record against Scunthorpe United continues. The Glovers lost thanks to two Damien Mozika goals on either side of the half time, sandwiched by a Paul Wotton penalty. However, the match was one of what might have been, with the visitors missing a hatful of first half chances, notably Kieran Agard striking the post with the goal gaping whilst the game was goalless.

The Glovers went into the match making just one change as Dominic Blizzard dropped out of the squad, following his knee ligament strain last weekend. With captain Paul Wotton completing his suspension during the same match, it was an obvious decision to recall him in a direct switch for Blizzard. With Jonathan Obika, Gavin Williams and Andy Williams all having long term injuries, the only other change was to leave Flavien Belson in Somerset and put goalkeeping coach Gareth Stewart on the bench.

The game started with near one-way traffic as the Glovers put their stamp on the game right from kick-off. Scunthorpe were having big problems in tracking Kieran Agard throughout the match, and the teenager got into a number of great positions, particularly during the opening 45 minutes. He had the opening chance of the match, breaking into space, but with home keeper Sam Johnstone saving well, to keep the ball out. Johnstone was well beaten though, when Paul Huntington connected with a left-footed volley from a corner that was heading for the back of the net, only for Garry Thompson's reflex actions on the goal line to turn the ball over the bar.

Scunthorpe's chances were few and far between, with a Bobby Grant effort going wide, and Damien Mozika producing the Iron's first on target attempt midway through the half. Most of the play was at the other end, with Alan O'Brien's pace, and the front pairing of Kieran Agard and Steve MacLean causing problems. The finishing touch wasn't there though - Nathan Jones put over the bar when he got into an advanced position, then MacLean missed the ball entirely when the ball was put across the face of goal from close range. Worst of all though was Agard's miss in the lead-up to the break, where he did everything right in racing through charging down keeper Sam Johnstone's attempted clearance, but with the goal gaping and Johnstone left stranded, Agard managed to put the shot onto the post - a staggering let-off for the Iron.

With all that pressure there was always the possibility of the sucker punch. And so it proved, as Eddie Nolan slipped past Nathan Jones on the flank, and his ball into the box was met at close range by Damien Mozika to put Scunthorpe 1-0 up - a goal about as against the run of play as it was possible to get.

That could have led Yeovil going in at the break feeling very sorry for themselves, but a minute later they got themselves parity, when Kieran Agard made up to his earlier miss by winning a penalty. As he broke into the box, he was pulled back by Paul Reid, and referee Craig Pawson pointed to the spot. Not for the first time this season, Paul Wotton grabbed the ball from Agard before he could think about taking the spot kick, and the captain smashed the ball into the roof of the net for a 1-1 half time scoreline.

The second period didn't live up to the magic of the first. Scunthorpe came out looking much stronger, and they took the lead when the Glovers failed to pick up Damien Mozika in the centre of the park. The midfielder, who had already scored one, and produced another bursting run that showed what he was capable of, latching onto an Eddie Nolan pass from the left flank, and firing home to put the Iron 2-1 up and in the lead once again.

At this point, the home side went on to dominate the match for the first time in the match. Buoyed by a Glanford Park crowd that had woken up a touch following the second goal. Oliver Norwood went close to adding a third when he cut in from the flank, producing a shot-cum-cross that Jed Steer superbly tipped onto the crossbar and out for a corner. Then it was home substitute Nicky Ajose's opportunity to become the latest striker to spurn a good chance - putting wide from around the six yard box.

Referee Craig Pawson's attitude had been to let the game flow in the main, when tackles flew in, with most of his whistles being because of the repeated offside decisions, mainly against the Glovers. However, that in turn produced a physical edge to the game that saw Scunthorpe knock up five bookings, with Mr Pawson raising his cards five times during the second period. However, that eventual stop-start nature played into the home side's hands somewhat, and it was only when Gavin Massey and Billy Gibson came on as substitutes that Yeovil began to show signs of getting themselves back into the game, leading to an edgy last few minutes.

However, they couldn't force an equalising goal throughout four minutes of injury time, and the reality is that Yeovil will have been kicking themselves for failing to have the game out of sight by half time. They drop one more place in the League One table, and now face a massive game against Bury next week, who are stuck in 22nd place in the current table, but only goal difference keeping the two sides apart.

Final Score: Scunthorpe United 2 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Damien Mozika (44 mins, 1-0), Paul Wotton (45 mins, 1-1, pen), Damien Mozika (53 mins, 2-1)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2):
1. Jed Steer
2. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 14. Max Ehmer 3. Nathan Jones
11. Anthony Edgar 20. Paul Wotton 8. Edward Upson 17. Alan O'Brien
9. Steven MacLean 18. Kieran Agard

24. Gareth Stewart (GK) 4. Bondz N'Gala 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown (84 mins for Nathan Jones) 21. Gavin Massey (67 mins for Anthony Edgar) 23. Billy Gibson (78 mins for Alan O'Brien)

Scunthorpe United:
27. Sam Johnstone
4. Sam Togwell 26. Shane Duffy 15. Paul Reid 3. Eddie Nolan
12. Damien Mozika 14. Oliver Norwood 8. Michael O'Connor 17. Bobby Grant
9. Chris Dagnall 11. Garry Thompson

13. Sam Slocombe (GK) 2. Andrew Wright 5. Michael Nelson (64 mins for Paul Reid) 24. Ashley Palmer 28. Nick Ajose (60 mins for Bobby Grant)

Scunthorpe Bookings: Damien Mozika (33 mins, foul), Bobby Grant (54 mins, foul), Michael O'Connor (72 mins, foul), Eddie Nolan (90 mins, off the ball incident), Chris Dagnall (90 mins, encroachment)

Yeovil Bookings: Ed Upson (72 mins, retaliation)

Referee: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire). Assistants: Barry Gordon (County Durham) and David Plowright (Nottinghamshire). Fourth Official: Peter Gooch (Lancashire).

Attendance: 4,086 (including 116 Yeovil fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape