Match Details: Yeovil Town v Sheffield Wednesday
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Sheffield Wednesday

Match Details: 17/09/2011
Yeovil Town 2-3 Sheffield Wednesday
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Kieran Agard (28), Kieran Agard (38)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Jed Steer, 2. Luke Ayling, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Paul Huntington, 6. Dominic Blizzard, 8. Ed Upson, 9. Steve MacLean, 11. Anthony Edgar, 14. Max Ehmer, 17. Alan O'Brien, 18. Kieran Agard,
Subs: 4. Bondz N'Gala, 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown, 21. Gavin Massey, 22. Flavien Belson, 23. Billy Gibson

Substitutes Used: Bondz N'Gala for Dominic Blizzard (20 mins), Gavin Massey for Alan O'Brien (61 mins), Billy Gibson for Kieran Agard (81 mins)

Bookings: Nathan Jones (Handball, 45), Ed Upson (Foul, 56), Steve MacLean (Foul, 66), Max Ehmer (Foul, 72)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down at home to the odd goal in five, as a high-octane match against Sheffield Wednesday saw them come out losing the match by a 2-3 scoreline. Two goals from Kieran Agard cancelled out David McGoldrick's opener for the Owls, but the visiting side had the last laugh as two set piece goals from Julian Bennett and Gary Madine saw them grab all three points, as the Glovers dropped down to 18th in the table.

The Glovers went into the match missing captain Paul Wotton, who was directly placed by Dominic Blizzard - getting his first start in a Yeovil Town shirt, following his summer move from Bristol Rovers. That was the only change to the starting line-up, although Yeovil lost Kerrea Gilbert on the day before the match, with the right-back dislocating his shoulder and dropping out of the squad.

Wednesday passed the ball around fluently in the opening stages and Yeovil had to put in some strong challenges to keep them away from goalkeeper Jed Steer. Stand-in captain Paul Huntington brilliantly blocked out a Gary Madine shot for a corner, whilst Dominic Blizzard went in where it hurts on another challenge - landing a gash in his head that required lengthy treatment and a change of shirt. It was whilst Blizzard was off the field that the Owls opened their scoring - Ben Marshall's free kick was whipped into the box and David McGoldrick - only signed on loan yesterday - opened his account with a smart header as he easily beat his marker.

Blizzard took an age to return to the field of play, and when he did was almost immediately down again - this time a whack on the knee as he dived in to block another David McGoldrick attempt on goal. This time, his hobbling around provoked manager Terry Skiverton into introducing Bondz N'Gala, as Luke Ayling moved into midfield and Max Ehmer showed his versatility by heading into a right-back position.

The Glovers got their equalising goal in bizarre, and undoubtedly controversial circumstances. After treatment was allowed to an injured player, referee Brendan Malone awarded a drop kick, which was booted up field by Luke Ayling. Kieran Agard raced after it, as did Wednesday keeper Richard O'Donnell and his team-mate Rob Jones. O'Donnell took out Jones in his effort to get to the ball first, and Agard nipped in and scored an opportunist's goal - and his first in Yeovil Town colours.

Wednesday's players, substitutes, management, coaches and anyone else they could get hold of, erupted in fury, claiming that Agard should not have put the ball in the net, and there was a lengthy delay as arguments broke out between the benches over what should happen next. At what point in the unwritten book of sportsmanship is an opposition player entitled to challenge for a loose ball? Skiverton decided he would not repeat Gary Johnson's decision back in August 2004 to allow Plymouth Argyle a walk-in goal, presumably deciding that after O'Donnell and Jones had collided that Kieran Agard was entitled to go for the ball. Unsurprisingly, Wednesday held a different view - another one where the BBC's Football League Show will be compulsive viewing tonight. In the aftermath, the injured Rob Jones had to be taken off, as a result of the collision with his own keeper.

It took just ten rather fractious angry minutes for Yeovil Town and Kieran Agard to grab a second goal, and this time there was zero controversy about it. Ed Upson fed Agard inside the box, and he smartly turned and shot inside the box, to put the Glovers a goal up, and to ensure a giant roar went up around Huish Park, with both players and crowd having the bit firmly between their teeth.

The two injuries to Dominic Blizzard, added to the injury to Rob Jones and the lengthy discussions on the Kieran Agard goal ensured that we had seven minutes of added time before the break. That was never going to be enough time to calm down Wednesday's players and management, with manager Gary Megson waiting for referee Brendan Malone on the half time whistle - not that there was anything in the rules that the match official could have done about the incident. A little more disturbing was significant amount of pushing that occurred as the players went down the tunnel, with suggestions that Wednesday's players purposefully targeted Kieran Agard for some half time 'treatment'. Referee Malone chose to stand and watch, and to our knowledge dished out no punishment.

The second half was thankfully a calmer affair, even if a number of bookings began to be totted up, started by a Wednesday player being booked for dissent, and four Yeovil players eventually landing on a knife edge with yellow cards. An early chance from Reda Johnson saw Ed Upson clear off the line, but when the loose ball was fired on goal, Jed Steer saved the second attempt.

The Owls had their main strength from set pieces though, and Yeovil's own Achilles heel reared its ugly head during the match, with all three of the visitors goals coming from that source. A corner from Jose Vitor Semedo was a little bit too easy for full-back Julian Bennett to equalise after 53 minutes, and pull the game back at 2-2, and that lifted the Owls, having looked a little sorry for themselves since the first Yeovil goal.

That said, the Glovers were still in the game. Alan O'Brien was replaced by striker Gavin Massey, although many in the Huish Park crowd were distinctly unimpressed by Skiverton's decision to remove the lively O'Brien from the field of play. Massey almost had an immediate impact - racing past a Wednesday defender, who grabbed hold of the player's shirt inside the box to haul him back - referee Brendan Malone decided against making the big decision that it would have been.

That lack of a decision was made all the more crucial, when a foul by Max Ehmer gave Wednesday yet another free kick to send into the box. This time, Ben Marshall's delivery found the head of Gary Madine, with once again Yeovil's man marking having gone missing, and the topsy-turvy game saw the Owls go 3-2 up.

Sadly, there were to be no more goals in this pulsating encounter. Almost immediately, Gary Megson made a substitution to stick an extra midfielder in his side's line-up as the Owls played the game out with a 4-5-1, snuffing the game out and slowing the pace down, and not even five minutes worth of injury time could alter that. Once again, Yeovil gave one of the 'big guns' a good run for their money, but once again, they came out of the match with nothing to show for their efforts. They slip down to 18th in the League One table, and now face a tricky looking encounter next weekend as they face an under-performing Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park, who lie two points behind them but in the relegation zone.

Link: 2011-12 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Sheffield Wednesday 3.

Scorers: David McGoldrick (10 mins, 0-1), Kieran Agard (28 mins, 1-1), Kieran Agard (38 mins, 2-1), Julian Bennett (53 mins, 2-2), Gary Madine (72 mins, 2-3)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Jed Steer
2. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 14. Max Ehmer 3. Nathan Jones
11. Anthony Edgar 6. Dominic Blizzard 8. Edward Upson 17. Alan O'Brien
9. Steven MacLean 18. Kieran Agard

4. Bondz N'Gala (20 mins for Dominic Blizzard) 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown 21. Gavin Massey (61 mins for Alan O'Brien) 22. Flavien Belson 23. Billy Gibson (81 mins for Kieran Agard)

Sheffield Wednesday:
23. Richard O'Donnell
2. Lewis Buxton 5. Rob Jones 4. Danny Batth 17. Reda Johnson
7. David Prutton 16. James O'Connor 6. Jose Vitor Semedo 10. Ben Marshall
14. Gary Madine 32. David McGoldrick

24. Arron Jameson (GK) 12. Liam Palmer (81 mins for Ben Marshall) 15. Chris Sedgwick (75 mins for David McGoldrick) 3. Julian Bennett (30 mins for Rob Jones) 18. Mark Reynolds

Yeovil Bookings: Nathan Jones (handball, 45 mins), Ed Upson (foul, 56 mins), Steve MacLean (foul, 66 mins), Max Ehmer (foul, 72 mins)

Sheffield Wednesday Bookings: James O'Connor (dissent, 46 mins)

Referee: Brendan Malone (Wiltshire). Assistants: John Busby (Oxfordshire) and Mark Russell (Bristol). Fourth Official: Brett Huxtable (Devon).

Attendance: 4,445 (including 988 Sheffield Wednesday fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape