Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 07/05/2011
Carlisle United 0-2 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Jonathan Obika (26), Dean Bowditch (69)

Yeovil Line-Up: 2. Craig Alcock, 6. Nathan Smith, 8. Luke Ayling, 10. Dean Bowditch, 11. Andy Welsh, 13. Stephen Henderson, 16. Ed Upson, 19. Adam Virgo, 20. Paul Wotton, 24. Shaun MacDonald, 29. Jonathan Obika
Subs: 3. Nathan Jones, 14. Max Ehmer, 15. Alex Russell, 18. Andrew Tutte, 23. Billy Gibson, 25. Danny Fitzsimons, 26. Gareth Stewart,

Substitutes Used: Andrew Tutte for Ed Upson (22 mins), Max Ehmer for Craig Alcock (46 mins), Nathan Jones for Dean Bowditch (70 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town completed their 2010-11 season by extending their unbeaten run to six matches, as they finished with a 2-0 win over Carlisle United at Brunton Park this afternoon. The goals came via one in each half, with Yeovil's front pairing both netting. Jonathan Obika latched onto Shaun MacDonald's through ball, whilst Dean Bowditch polished off a fine season for him with his 15th of the season, thanks to another Andy Welsh assist, with the Glovers ending the campaign with a 14th place finish.

Team selection saw Yeovil Town make two like-for-like swaps to their starting line-up, with Max Ehmer and Andrew Tutte both sitting it out in favour of Ed Upson and Adam Virgo, although both players left on the bench were to find themselves playing for a fair chunk of the game. Captain Paul Huntington didn't even make the squad, having picked up a dead leg in the Somerset Premier Cup Final against Weston-super-Mare. Overall, the 3-5-2 formation was preserved.

After the game had been preceded by Carlisle parading the Football League Trophy, making their end of season awards, and parachuting in the match ball and their new home kit into the stadium, the home side started the half in a more positive fashion, with their midfield taking control of the centre of the park and the Glovers floundering a touch as the Cumbrians picked up far too much space. Liam Noble produced the game's first chance as he forced Stephen Henderson into a parried save, whilst it took Yeovil 10 minutes to produce anything of note, as Andy Welsh's cut inside allowed him a chance to fire just wide of the target.

The Cumbrians were on the whole dominant though, and with Ed Upson having given the ball away a number of times during the opening 20 minutes, he was sacrificed for Andrew Tutte as the Glovers made an early substitution, Upson trudging off with his head down straight down the tunnel. That move though, seemed to brighten Yeovil's play up, and couldn't be argued with, when four minutes later the Glovers took the lead in the match.

That opening goal was all about Shaun MacDonald's drive through the heart of the Carlisle United midfield. Finding some space down the middle, he picked up pace, riding a couple of tackles, including a cynical attempt by Paul Thirlwell to take him out. Referee Jock Waugh chose to keep play going, and when he slipped the ball through to Jonathan Obika, the Tottenham Hotspur striker's cool finish gave him his third goal of the season, and his second against Carlisle this season.

That set the Glovers on their way, producing better football in the lead-up to the break, even if Liam Noble once again went close for Carlisle just before half time, sending a 25 yard drive just wide of the target. The home side's cause was also not helped by the loss of Frank Simek, whose serious looking arm injury held up play for four minutes, as he had to be helped off the field, meaning that the Cumbrians also joined Yeovil in making their first substitution as Tom Taiwo came on.

The second half saw Yeovil make their second change as Craig Alcock's back problems forced him off, meaning that Max Ehmer got a chance to play the whole of the second period. Luke Ayling shuffled out wide from playing as a centre-back into being the right wing-back for the second 45 minutes.

The crucial point of the game came not long after Carlisle had made a double substitution, introducing Danny Livesy onto the field of play. The home side had penalty appeals waved away by referee Jock Waugh, whose policy of keeping the game flowing throughout the match continued. Andrew Tutte picked the ball up and Carlisle were caught on the break, with his ball through to Andy Welsh allowing the Mancunian a chance to clock up another assist, as his ball found Dean Bowditch in the right place, right time, for an easy tap-in and to give Deano his 15th goal of the season - the very target he had set himself back in August when the season began.

At two goals up, in this end of season encounter, it was always unlikely that Carlisle would put in much effort to get back into the match. The Glovers made another tactical switch, taking off Dean Bowditch, who had been holding his hamstring just before his goal, and bringing on Nathan Jones. That allowed Andy Welsh a chance to finish the match up front with Jones performing the left wing-back role.

The Glovers ran out comfortable winners in the end, and that result pushed them up to 14th place in the League One table - ensuring they finished above Sheffield Wednesday by a single position. Given at Christmas, Wednesday were second, and the Glovers were rooted to the bottom of the table, what odds would you have got on that at the turn of the year? The main question now will be whether Yeovil can hang onto the players they've recruited since Christmas, or whether manager Terry Skiverton will have to rebuild his squad again. The summer will be a very important pointer to how things pan out during 2011-12 for sure.

Link: 2010-11 Final League One Table.

Final Score: Carlisle United 0 Yeovil Town 2.

Scorers: Jonathan Obika (26 mins, 0-1), Dean Bowditch (69 mins, 0-2)

Yeovil Town (3-5-2):
13. Stephen Henderson
19. Adam Virgo 8. Luke Ayling 6. Nathan Smith
2. Craig Alcock 16. Ed Upson 20. Paul Wotton 24. Shaun MacDonald 11. Andy Welsh
10. Dean Bowditch 29. Jonathan Obika

26. Gareth Stewart (GK) 3. Nathan Jones (70 mins for Dean Bowditch) 14. Max Ehmer (46 mins for Craig Alcock) 15. Alex Russell 18. Andrew Tutte (22 mins for Ed Upson) 23. Billy Gibson 25. Danny Fitzsimons

Carlisle United:
1. Adam Collin
2. Frank Simek 25. Lubomir Michalik 6. Peter Murphy 10. Matthew Robson
21. James Berrett 11. Paul Thirlwell 17. Liam Noble
13. Francois Zoko
19. Patrick Madden 15. Craig Curran

20. Mark Gillespie (GK) 5. Danny Livesey (56 mins for James Berrett) 8. Graham Kavanagh 12. Tom Taiwo (34 mins for Frank Simek) 18. Rory Loy (56 mins for Patrick Madden) 27. Ben McKenna

Carlisle Bookings: None.

Yeovil Bookings: None.

Referee: Jock Waugh (South Yorkshire). Assistants: Richard Clark (Northumberland) and Barry Gordon (County Durham). Fourth Official: Tony Harrington (Cleveland).

Attendance: 6,473 (including 233 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape