Match Details: Yeovil Town v Colchester United
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Colchester United

Match Details: 30/04/2011
Yeovil Town 4-2 Colchester United
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Craig Alcock (15), Andrew Tutte (22), Dean Bowditch (44), Andy Welsh (64)

Yeovil Line-Up: 2. Craig Alcock, 6. Nathan Smith, 8. Luke Ayling, 10. Dean Bowditch, 11. Andy Welsh, 13. Stephen Henderson, 14. Max Ehmer, 18. Andrew Tutte, 20. Paul Wotton, 24. Shaun MacDonald, 29. Jonathan Obika
Subs: 3. Nathan Jones, 15. Alex Russell, 16. Ed Upson, 19. Adam Virgo, 22. Martin Gritton, 23. Billy Gibson, 26. Gareth Stewart,

Substitutes Used:

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained an emphatic 4-2 win over Colchester United this afternoon at Huish Park to complete their League One home matches for the 2010-11 season. The match was only rarely in doubt as goals from Craig Alcock and Andrew Tutte put Yeovil 2-0 early on. Although Ashley Vincent pulled one back for the Essex side just before half time, it only took a minute for Dean Bowditch to restore the two goal advantage. The same pattern continued in the second period as David Mooney's goal to pull back the advantage was immediately negated by Andy Welsh's goal a minute later to send the visitors home pointless.

Team news saw Luke Ayling return from suspension as he displaced assistant manager Nathan Jones, whilst a formation change saw the 3-5-2 restored after a brief flirt with a 4-4-2 over the Easter weekend. Craig Alcock and Andy Welsh performed the wingback roles with Nathan Smith playing his second match as a centre-back, albeit on the left side of a trio.

The Glovers took the lead via the combination of the two wingbacks - Andy Welsh's ball into the box looped up off the top of U's defender Tommy Smith's head, and Craig Alcock quickly moved into a more central role to skillfully control and volley the ball home past visiting keeper Ben Williams. 1-0 up with 15 minutes gone.

The second goal again came from some sloppy Colchester defending as Tommy Smith's attempt to clear his lines let in Jonathan Obika, who threaded the ball across to the corner of the box where Andrew Tutte was on hand to stick a curling shot into the top left hand corner, perhaps taking a deflection off a defender's leg as Colchester tried to close down his shot at the last minute. Tutte's second goal in two games, just at the time when he needs to persuade manager Terry Skiverton to offer him a contract for next season.

The half overall had a bit of an end-of-season feel to it, with neither side particularly that bothered about defending too much, whilst referee Oliver Langford, who had one of his better games at Huish Park, seemed also in a charitable mood - allowing Jamie Vincent to go unpunished after a clear dive in the box, and then leaving his foot in Max Ehmer.

As the half closed out though, Colchester managed to grab a goal back, with John-Joe O'Toole's excellent threaded pass got in behind Andy Welsh, and with Ashley Vincent out-pacing the left-wingback easily, he hammered the ball straight past Stephen Henderson to give a 2-1 scoreline. However, if Colchester thought they were going go into half time with their tails up, they were very much mistaken as Welsh instantly atoned for his error at the back, providing a left-wing cross that was met by Dean Bowditch on the back post to restore Yeovil's two goal advantage at the break.

Colchester manager John Ward clearly wasn't impressed by his side's showing during that first half as he had his side out midway through the half time break doing full warm-ups. Whether that galvanised Colchester or not, they certainly started the second period in far more impressive form, forcing Stephen Henderson into a number of parried saves that fortunately did not see rebounds converted.

The Glovers switched to a 4-4-2 formation but just past the hour mark, Colchester deservedly pulled a goal back as David Mooney's soft shot from the edge of the box squirmed under the body of Stephen Henderson to pull the game back to 3-2. But as with their first half goal, their joy was extremely short-lived, as the Glovers attacked down their right wing a minute later - Andrew Tutte's cross into the box appeared to be evading everyone as to flew across, but that allowed left-winger Andy Welsh full view of the goal, and a chance to slam the ball home for a 4-2 advantage.

During the closing stages, the openness of the football continued, with David Mooney striking the top of the crossbar from a narrow angle, whilst Jonathan Obika sliced wide of the target when he probably should have added to the total of goals. In the final minute, referee Oliver Langford again showed extreme charity when Ben Coker was only given a yellow card for clipping Obika as he was clean through on goal - a bit of common sense given the circumstances. Yeovil had the match well won, and a red card would have been a bit of a blot on the open well spirited match out there today.

All in all just the relaxing game that the Glovers needed at the end of a long hard difficult season, and their play at times showed how relaxed they were throughout the match. As the final whistle blew, news filtered through that Bristol Rovers had pretty much joined Swindon Town in being relegated to League Two - given the chants from the home terrace during the match, there is unlikely to be too much sympathy from Glovers fans along the way.

Link: 2010-11 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 4 Colchester United 2.

Scorers: Craig Alcock (15 mins, 1-0), Andrew Tutte (22 mins, 2-0), Ashley Vincent (43 mins, 2-1), Dean Bowditch (44 mins, 3-1), David Mooney (63 mins, 3-2), Andrew Welsh (64 mins, 4-2).

Yeovil Town (3-5-2):
13. Stephen Henderson
14. Max Ehmer 8. Luke Ayling 6. Nathan Smith
2. Craig Alcock 24. Shaun MacDonald 20. Paul Wotton 18. Andrew Tutte 11. Andy Welsh
10. Dean Bowditch 29. Jonathan Obika

26. Gareth Stewart (GK) 3. Nathan Jones 15. Alex Russell 16. Edward Upson 19. Adam Virgo 22. Martin Gritton 23. Billy Gibson

Colchester United:
1. Ben Williams 20. Brian Wilson 19. David Mooney 31. Tommy Smith 6. Nathan Clarke 24. Ben Coker 7. Ashley Vincent 8. John-Joe O'Toole 10. Kemal Izzet 26. Lloyd James 16. Ian Henderson

12. Mark Cousins (GK) 3. Lee Beevers (75 mins for Tommy Smith) 14. Andy Bond 15. Kayode Odejayi (80 mins for Ian Henderson) 17. David Perkins 22. Anthony Wordsworth 25. John White

Yeovil Bookings: None.
Colchester Bookings: Tommy Smith (17 mins, foul), Nathan Clarke (40 mins, foul), Ben Coker (90 mins, foul)

Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands). Assistants: Adrian Tranter (Dorset) and Tim Wood (Gloucestershire). Fourth Official: Chris Powell(Dorset).

Attendance: 3,797 (including 180 Colchester supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape