Match Details: Hartlepool United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Hartlepool United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 09/04/2011
Hartlepool United 3-1 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Jonathan Obika (10)

Yeovil Line-Up: 2. Craig Alcock, 5. Paul Huntington, 6. Nathan Smith, 9. Sam Williams, 10. Dean Bowditch, 13. Stephen Henderson, 14. Max Ehmer, 18. Andrew Tutte, 19. Adam Virgo, 24. Shaun MacDonald, 29. Jonathan Obika
Subs: 3. Nathan Jones, 8. Luke Ayling, 15. Alex Russell, 16. Ed Upson, 22. Martin Gritton, 23. Billy Gibson, 26. Gareth Stewart,

Substitutes Used: Martin Gritton for Sam Williams (67 mins), Ed Upson for Dean Bowditch (78 mins), Alex Russell for Andrew Tutte (79 mins)

Bookings: Paul Huntington (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town were comfortably beaten this afternoon at Victoria Park, as Hartlepool United managed their third victory over the Glovers of the 2010-11 season. The win for the home side was alarmingly comfortable at times, with the Glovers struggling to create chances, aside from a real peach of a strike from Jonathan Obika that opened the scoring. But goals for Adam Boyd, Sam Collins and Colin Larkin made it all too easy for Pools, as they cruised to three points, leaving Yeovil still looking for the points they need to guarantee survival.

Team selection saw Yeovil persist with the 3-4-1-2 formation they have used recently, although they made three changes to the side that lost to Bristol Rovers last weekend. Andy Welsh was missing due to the impending birth of his first child, whilst Paul Wotton failed a fitness test. Andy Williams dropped out of the squad due to his ankle injury suffered during the midweek Reserves match at Clevedon. Nathan Smith, Andrew Tutte and Sam Williams all came into the starting line-up, with Oli Johnson dropping out of the squad as the sixth loan.

The opening goal came from Yeovil's first real chance, bar a shot by Sam Williams that went wide of the target. A throw-in taken by Craig Alcock was collected by Jonathan Obika. The Tottenham Hotspur striker turned and fired home a 20 yard strike with his left foot for a real classy finish that caught out the sleepy Pools defence to put the Glovers 1-0 up with just 10 minutes gone.

The quickfire start to the game continued with Hartlepool needing just eight minutes to forge an equalising goal. They won a corner, and Evan Horwood's delivery saw Adam Virgo twice try to clear the ball, but with the ball going upwards rather than outwards, with the Glovers defence appearing to get in each others way. Adam Boyd was the man waiting for the ball to drop and he thrashed the ball home from close range for an equalising goal.

That attacking start by both teams didn't really continue, with the rest of the half looking a little bit like an end of season kickabout at times, with neither side testing the keeper, and both clubs giving the ball away far too often. The Glovers central defensive duo of Andrew Tutte and Shaun MacDonald failed to impose themselves against a three man Hartlepool midfield, and although the home side didn't really create too much during the first half other than their goal, they were edging the game in terms of attacking threat.

Half time saw a tactical shuffle, with the Glovers moving to a flat back four, and Max Ehmer pushing up into a holding midfield role, as the base in a diamond midfield. Manager Terry Skiverton had spoken before the game about the importance of not being bullied from Hartlepool's set pieces, and so with the opening goal having come from a corner, he won't have been pleased that Hartlepool's second also came from a similar set play. Leon McSweeney's corner appeared to be greeted by a static Yeovil Town defence, and Sam Collins was able to fire home from close range through a crowd of players, leaving Stephen Henderson entirely unsighted.

Worse was to come seven minutes after that goal. Evan Horwood burst down the left, and got to the byline. His cross found Hartlepool substitute Colin Larkin and although he made a bit of a hash of his shot, his scuff into the ground was good enough to find the back of the net and put Hartlepool 3-1 up.

And that was basically it. Yeovil made a series of substitutions and tactical switches to try to get back into the match, but were very flat all afternoon, in what felt like an end of season kickabout at times. Obika's shot remained their only shot on target throughout the whole 90 minutes, and only really off-target attempts by substitutes Martin Gritton and Alex Russell tried to get past Scott Flinders in the Hartlepool goal. A disappointing day overall, and although the Glovers still remain in 17th place in the League One table, their Tuesday night opponents Notts County are that club in the 4th from bottom position - five points behind with a game in hand. There's utterly no doubt that the Glovers can not afford to lose that one.

Link: 2010-11 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Hartlepool United 3 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Jonathan Obika (0-1, 10 mins), Adam Boyd (1-1, 18 mins), Sam Collins (2-1, 62 mins), Colin Larkin (3-1, 69 mins).

Hartlepool United:
1. Scott Flinders
16. Steven Haslam 5. Sam Collins 29. Peter Hartley 6. Evan Horwood
15. Antony Sweeney 8. Joe Gamble 20. Paul Murray
11. Andy Monkhouse 10. Adam Boyd 3. Ritchie Humphreys

21. Andy Rafferty (GK) 7. Leon McSweeney (55 mins for Ritchie Humphreys) 9. Denis Behan 12. Fabian Yantorno (90 mins for Antony Sweeney) 18. Michael Mackay 22. Armann Bjornsson 23. Colin Larkin (66 mins for Adam Boyd)

Yeovil Town:
13. Stephen Henderson
5. Paul Huntington 14. Max Ehmer 19. Adam Virgo
2. Craig Alcock 18. Andrew Tutte 24. Shaun MacDonald 6. Nathan Smith
9. Sam Williams
10. Dean Bowditch 29. Jonathan Obika

26. Gareth Stewart (GK) 3. Nathan Jones 8. Luke Ayling 15. Alex Russell (79 mins for Andrew Tutte) 16. Ed Upson (78 mins for Dean Bowditch) 22. Martin Gritton (67 mins for Sam Williams) 23. Billy Gibson

Hartlepool Bookings: None.
Yeovil Bookings: Paul Huntington (foul, 90 mins).

Referee: Paul Tierney (Lancashire). Assistants: Mike George (Norfolk) and Ricky Wootton (West Riding). Fourth Official: Simon Clayton (County Durham).

Attendance: 2,834 (including 118 Yeovil supporters)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape