Match Details: Yeovil Town v Charlton Athletic
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Charlton Athletic

Match Details: 05/02/2011
Yeovil Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic
npower League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 5. Paul Huntington, 6. Nathan Smith, 7. Andy Williams, 8. Luke Ayling, 11. Andy Welsh, 12. Oli Johnson, 13. Stephen Henderson, 14. Max Ehmer, 16. Ed Upson, 18. Andrew Tutte, 20. Paul Wotton,
Subs: 1. Richard Martin, 3. Nathan Jones, 9. Sam Williams, 15. Alex Russell, 17. Craig Calver, 19. Adam Virgo, 23. Billy Gibson

Substitutes Used: Alex Russell for Andrew Tutte (59 mins), Sam Williams for Ed Upson (76 mins), Adam Virgo for Oli Johnson (87 mins)

Bookings: Luke Ayling (Foul, 78)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down to their second home defeat of 2011 this afternoon, as a resolute Charlton Athletic side grabbed all three points with a fairly textbook away performance at Huish Park. The Addicks got their winning goal 63 minutes in when League One's top scorer Bradley Wright-Phillips headed home from a corner. For much of the match the visitors were on the back foot, but the Glovers struggled to get behind a crowd of bodies and could not find a way past the Londoners despite throwing the kitchen sink at them during the closing minutes.

Team news saw one enforced change for the Glovers, as Dean Bowditch pulled out with a hamstring strain picked up during Tuesday night's match against Plymouth Argyle. In his place came Andrew Tutte, making his full debut as part of his loan spell from Manchester City. He lined up in the hole in a 4-4-1-1 formation, as Oli Johnson moved into a wide position on the left, although during the match Johnson, Tutte and Andy Williams made frequent switches to try to liven up the front line.

At a blustery Huish Park, both sides had decent early chances - a Johnnie Jackson shot that Stephen Henderson tipped over for a corner, whilst at the other end after Andy Williams had forced a corner, Andy Welsh's flighted delivery saw Paul Huntington get a free header in the box which he wastefully put over the bar.

The first half saw Yeovil play with the wind behind them, and with plenty of pace in the Glovers line-up, they did exactly what manager Terry Skiverton hoped they would do - test the legs of Gary Doherty and Christian Dailly. That certainly happened as the half turned into a battle between pace and brawn, and an ideal of what to expect came when Oli Johnson was taken out by Doherty when in full flow. A clear yellow card, and Doherty was probably lucky that a defender was just about covering him.

Paul Huntington went close from a corner, when a Charlton defender entirely missed the ball as it went across the box, with the centre-back's shot on the half volley going just wide of the target. In fact, that was Yeovil's problem throughout the half - for all of the chances they created, no-one seemed to have their shooting boots on. A free kick was teed up for Paul Wotton, but he shot wide as an Addicks defender closed him down. Then Andy Welsh was put through on goal, but sliced wide of the target whilst trying to create room from the right-wing to shoot on his left foot. By half time, the Glovers should have been ahead, but conversely had failed to test Rob Elliot in the Charlton goal enough.

The Glovers lined up for the start of the second period in a 4-4-2 as another tactical switch saw Oli Johnson join Andy Williams up front. But it was Charlton who carved out a golden opportunity as Joe Anyinsah skinned Max Ehmer down the flank, pulling the ball back for Bradley Wright-Phillips, who inexplicably fired wide from six yards out and the goal gaping. That was a warning shot though, as just past the hour mark League One's top scorer got in on the end of a Johnnie Jackson corner in far too much free space, to give Charlton the lead.

A number of substitutions tried to shake things up - Alex Russell and Sam Williams were introduced for Andrew Tutte and Ed Upson, with a myriad of formation changes, swaparounds and suchlike trying to disturb an increasingly rearguard Charlton defence. There was controversy too when Gary Doherty took out Andy Williams with a replica of his first half tackle, leading to Yeovil players surrounding the referee and the crowd baying for blood. Referee Karl Evans bottled the decision that would have produced a second yellow card were it not for Doherty's earlier offence, and Charlton breathed again.

As the home crowd turned up the volume on that decision, contesting every decision following that, appealing for a number of handballs as shots were hammered into the box, the Glovers began to throw the kitchen sink at the Addicks defence, bringing on Adam Virgo as a striker in the closing minutes, and pushing up Paul Huntington and Max Ehmer for set pieces and often leaving just Nathan Smith or Luke Ayling covering at the back. But the six minutes of injury time couldn't find a way past, and so Charlton held on by the skin of their teeth.

Defeat then, but no big disgrace - just the need for a little bit more clinical action inside the box on the day prevented the Glovers from snatching a draw. They stay in 17th place in the League One table, although Swindon's late draw means that the gap drops down to two points with the table just above the relegation line still very congested. A rare seven days off for the Glovers, and a chance to draw breath from what has been a frenetic but largely productive period - next stop a vital trip to Dagenham and Redbridge next Saturday.

Link: 2010-11 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Charlton Athletic 1.

Scorers: Bradley Wright-Phillips (0-1, 63 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-1-1)
13. Stephen Henderson
8. Luke Ayling 14. Max Ehmer 5. Paul Huntington 6. Nathan Smith
11. Andrew Welsh 20. Paul Wotton 16. Edward Upson 12. Oli Johnson
18. Andrew Tutte
7. Andrew Williams

1. Richard Martin (GK) 3. Nathan Jones 9. Sam Williams (76 mins for Ed Upson) 15. Alex Russell (59 mins for Andrew Tutte) 17. Craig Calver 19. Adam Virgo (87 mins for Oli Johnson) 23. Billy Gibson

Charlton Athletic:
1. Rob Elliot
2. Simon Francis 12. Gary Doherty 36. Christian Dailly 19. Matt Fry
7. Scott Wagstaff 6. Jose Vitor Semedo 16. Alan McCormack 4. Johnnie Jackson
10. Bradley Wright-Phillips 23. Joe Anyinsah

25. Ross Worner (GK) 11. Kyel Reid 8. Therry Racon (24 mins for Alan McCormack) 17. Paul Benson (82 mins for Bradley Wright-Phillips) 24. Jonathan Fortune 34. Carl Jenkinson 39. Nathan Eccleston (81 mins for Joe Anyinsah)

Yeovil Bookings: Luke Ayling (78 mins, foul)
Charlton Bookings: Gary Doherty (15 mins, foul), Simon Francis (76 mins, foul)

Referee: Karl Evans (Lancashire). Assistants: Marvyn Amphlett (Worcestershire) and Andrew Rodda (Devon). Fourth Official: Lee Swabey (Devon).

Attendance: 4,651 (including 718 Charlton fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape