Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Swindon Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 15/01/2011
Swindon Town 0-1 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Dean Bowditch (65)

Yeovil Line-Up: 5. Paul Huntington, 6. Nathan Smith, 7. Andy Williams, 8. Luke Ayling, 9. Sam Williams, 10. Dean Bowditch, 11. Andy Welsh, 13. Stephen Henderson, 14. Max Ehmer, 16. Ed Upson, 20. Paul Wotton,
Subs: 1. Richard Martin, 3. Nathan Jones, 12. Oli Johnson, 15. Alex Russell, 17. Craig Calver, 19. Adam Virgo, 23. Billy Gibson

Substitutes Used: Oli Johnson for Andy Williams (54 mins), Alex Russell for Dean Bowditch (70 mins), Adam Virgo for Ed Upson (90 mins)

Bookings: Ed Upson (Foul, 60)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town picked up their third consecutive League One win this afternoon to put them inches away from climbing out of the relegation zone. A 1-0 win against Swindon Town at the County Ground was Yeovil's fifth clean sheet in a row in League matches and the first time that Glovers boss Terry Skiverton had clocked up three wins in a row since becoming manager. The only goal of the game came after Dean Bowditch showed a poacher's touch, following up a shot that had been deflected onto the crossbar with a close-range header, and that was enough to defeat a home side who were by then down to ten men, with former Glover Michael Rose getting his marching orders.

Team selection for Terry Skiverton was a simple one with the same starting line-up as last weekend's match. The bench was also bolstered with Alex Russell and Oli Johnson making their first appearances since being signed by the club. The match itself began in blustery conditions that were largely at Yeovil's back during the first period. That seemed to benefit the Glovers to an extent in terms of territory, but were struggling to get the measure of the wind, with final passes going a bit too long. Swindon had barely got out of their own half, but they carved out the first chance of the game, as Charlie Austin received a cross-field pass from home winger Matt Ritchie, and Glovers keeper Stephen Henderson saved well from a narrow angle from Austin's shot.

At the other end, Dean Bowditch saw a shot hit the woodwork as Swindon keeper Phil Smith seemed to misjudge the shot from the Glovers front man, parrying the ball onto the top of his own crossbar as he tried to take the ball, in what would have been an odd goal to say the least. More worthy attempts came from Paul Wotton's free kick and Andy Williams, who broke down the channel, with Smith making parried saves to stop the ball hitting the net.

Former Glover Michael Rose had a strong attempt on goal, when his side earned a free kick, with Rosey reminding Glovers fans of his dead ball skills as his curling attempt was parried away by Stephen Henderson. Five minutes later, Rose tried the same again, with a fierce drive across the face of goal, but again Henderson was equal to it, sending the ball out for a corner. Having had a slow start, the Robins were just starting to get into gear as the half closed. A Charlie Austin shot was deflected out for a corner, and from that set piece, a Scott Cuthbert header was blocked close to the goal line by Paul Wotton and out for another corner.

Yeovil's chances in the closing stages of the opening period were rare, although one breakaway saw some controversy as Andy Welsh broke up field. He appeared to be impeded whilst clear on goal, as Michael Rose tried to close him down, but referee Neil Swarbrick decided there was no contact made, with the Glovers bench erupting in fury when the match official waved play on. Had Swarbrick given the foul, a red card would surely have followed, and the half time whistle saw plenty of Glovers players having a friendly 'chat' with the official as he left the field.

Not that Rose managed to stay on the field of play for too long in the second period. After a fairly nondescript start to the second period, Ed Upson got involved in a tussle with Rose, hauling him to the floor. The Swindon full-back's response was to stamp on his opposite number, and referee Swarbrick had little hesitation in raising a red card. Upson was possibly lucky not to get a yellow for the initial foul, although was wise enough to stay clear of Rose's retaliation.

With Swindon down to 10 men, and Ed Upson the pantomime villain in home fans eyes, they inevitably bayed for blood when Upson took out Jonathan Douglas with a late foul. This time the yellow card for Yeovil's midfielder was inevitable, and there was perhaps a concern that the match might turn nasty, with matches between these two clubs having a reputation for fire points.

With the man advantage, Yeovil took just eight minutes to make it count as they took the lead. A fairly hopeful looking ball was punted into the box, Sam Williams won his header with a strong aerial challenge, the loose ball was picked up and fired toward the goal, with Swindon keeper Phil Smith doing well to parry the ball onto the crossbar. Dean Bowditch was the first to react, heading home from close range for his seventh goal of the season, and to give Swindon a mountain to climb - a man down and now a goal down.

Instead of having a Swindon surge on goal, the game largely just turned scrappy, with the amount of football in the two boxes fairly minimal, and neither side managing to create good chances. The best for the home side came when substitute Vincent Pericard's header flashed across the face of goal from close range, whilst the Glovers preferred to catch Swindon on the break, with their substitute Oli Johnson doing well to put Andy Welsh in on goal, only for Lecsinel Jean-Francois's well-timed tackle stopping the left winger from having the chance to extend Yeovil's lead.

Four minutes of injury time, and home keeper Phil Smith's rushes into the opposition penalty box failed to panic the Yeovil back line, who were organised and confident in keeping out anything Swindon could throw at them. The three valuable points now put Yeovil right on the edge of the relegaton zone, benefiting today by Tranmere Rovers getting beaten, and Bristol Rovers on the end of a 4-0 thrashing up at Carlisle. They're still not out of trouble yet, and remain in 21st place, but clearly the escape hatch is now wide open, and the 2011 great transformation of Yeovil's football continues.

Link: 2010-11 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Swindon Town 0 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Dean Bowditch (65 mins, 0-1)

Swindon Town:
12. Phil Smith
6. Paul Caddis 2. Scott Cuthbert 19. Lecsinel Jean-Francois 3. Michael Rose
7. Jon-Paul McGovern 4. Jonathan Douglas 10. David Prutton 22. Matt Ritchie
20. Thomas Dossevi 32. Charlie Austin

28. Mark Scott (GK) 8. Simon Ferry 9. Vincent Pericard (55 mins for Thomas Dossevi) 11. Michael Timlin (72 mins for Matt Ritchie) 18. Alan O'Brien 21. Alan Sheehan (61 mins for Jon-Paul McGovern) 34. Will Evans

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
13. Stephen Henderson
8. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 14. Max Ehmer 6. Nathan Smith
11. Andrew Welsh 16. Edward Upson 20. Paul Wotton 10. Dean Bowditch
9. Sam Williams 7. Andrew Williams

1. Richard Martin (GK) 3. Nathan Jones 17. Craig Calver 19. Adam Virgo (90 mins for Ed Upson) 23. Billy Gibson 12. Oli Johnson (54 mins for Andrew Williams) 15. Alex Russell (70 mins for Dean Bowditch)

Swindon Bookings: None. Red Card: Michael Rose (57 mins, violent conduct)
Yeovil Bookings: Ed Upson (60 mins, foul)

Referee: Neil Swarbrick (Lancashire). Assistants: Adam Crysell (Essex) and John Busby (Oxfordshire). Fourth Official: Steve Cook (Derbyshire).

Attendance: 7,950 (including 489 Yeovil supporters)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape