Match Details: Rushden and Diamonds v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Rushden and Diamonds v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 06/11/2010
Rushden and Diamonds 0-1 Yeovil Town
FA Cup First Round

Yeovil Goals: Andy Williams (83)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. John Sullivan, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Paul Huntington, 7. Andy Williams, 9. Sam Williams, 10. Dean Bowditch, 11. Andy Welsh, 19. Adam Virgo, 20. Owain Tudur Jones, 21. Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala, 25. Shaun MacDonald,
Subs: 16. Ed Upson, 17. Craig Calver, 18. Luke Freeman, 22. Ben Roberts, 23. Billy Gibson, 31. Rhys Baggridge

Substitutes Used:

Match Report:

Yeovil Town managed to worm their way into the Second Round of the FA Cup for the first time since 2005, with a late goal sealing a tight cup tie. The only goal of the game against Rushden and Diamonds was scored seven minutes from time through Andy Williams, whose controversial strike took an age to be awarded, after referee Mark Brown chose to overrule his linesman, who had flagged for an offside decision as the winger shot on goal. After much delay, Brown's decision gave the Glovers the break they needed to put them into the hat for tomorrow's draw.

Yeovil went into the game being forced into two changes from the midweek match at Milton Keynes Dons. Luke Ayling had failed to recover from a rib injury meaning that Jean-Paul Kalala had to deputise as a right-back. Gavin Williams was blocked by Bristol City from playing to stop him becoming cup-tied. The two players that came in were wingers Andy Welsh and Andy Williams, as the Glovers opted for a classic 4-4-2 formation.

It was the home side that grabbed the first opening chance, with Ryan Charles forcing John Sullivan into an excellent save, with Paul Huntington close by to clear the parried ball close to his own goal line. At the other end, a Dean Bowditch turn-and-shoot move from 25 yards out whistled just over the crossbar. Rushden's early plans weren't helped by an injury to defender Shane Huke, with them having to reorganise their back line as a result, as Justin Miller was introduced.

The first period though was all about the woodwork, with it being struck three times in the opening 45 minutes. The first came when Dean Bowditch broke through the Rushden back line, who had pushed high up the field, and as he was forced wide, his pull-back for Sam Williams saw his striking partner fire his shot against the woodwork. Bowditch was then the creator for Yeovil's second big chance, as his cross into the box was chased by centre-back pairing Adam Virgo and Paul Huntington, but the angle was too narrow for Hunts to convert with the ball coming off the post.

Rushden were still relatively dangerous though, with Lewwis Spence seeing a long range attempt deflected onto the crossbar and out for a corner in what was a relatively even half. The star of the show was Dean Bowditch, with him head-and-shoulders above his team mates, and behind almost every attacking intention that the Glovers had. They had to settle for a goalless scoreline at the break though.

The Glovers started the second period the more lively, with Adam Virgo having a free kick attempt bravely blocked by a Rushden defender, whilst Sam Williams hit the outside of the goalframe as he fired in on the angle. Andy Welsh also had his edge of the area attempt well saved by Joe Day, as they continued to press, but without striking the killer blow. Rushden put hefty numbers behind the ball, frequently looking like an away side, trying to hit Yeovil on the break, and thus showing small patches of danger whenever they broke.

Just when it seemed as though the deadlock would never be broken, with seven minutes left, the Glovers grabbed the lead, albeit with the need for Glovers fans to hold their breath for a good 60 seconds after the ball hit the back of the net. Dean Bowditch's 101st attempt on goal was parried out by Rushden keeper Joe Day, and as the ball came to Andy Williams he fired at goal from 12 yards out and into the back of the net ... only to find the linesman's flag raised for Dean Bowditch who was stood in an offside position. After what seemed like an absolute age, referee Mark Brown ruled that Bowditch was not interfering with play, and allowed the goal to stand, for one of the most delayed goal celebrations that Glovers fans will ever experience.

Rushden never really came back into it, with players and management clearly upset by the decision, and the remaining seven minutes plus four minutes injury time were played out with relative control, with Yeovil even having the odd chance to nick a second goal. For once, the slice of luck went their way, and there's little doubt that the home side will feel aggrieved by the decision that ultimately settled the game. It wasn't brilliant, and it wasn't emphatic. Few Glovers fans will be thinking of that though when the Second Round draw is made tomorrow lunchtime.

Final Score: Rushden and Diamonds 0 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Andy Williams (0-1, 83 mins)

Rushden and Diamonds:
13. Joe Day 6. Curtis Osano 20. Shane Huke 16. Michael Corcoran 11. Jamie Day 14. Alan Power 4. Max Porter 24. Lewwis Spence 8. Aaron O'Connor 10. Rene Howe 19. Ryan Charles

1. Dale Roberts (GK) 2. Justin Miller (17 mins for Shane Huke) 3. Kurt Robinson (70 mins for Lewwis Spence) 9. Craig Farrell (57 mins for Ryan Charles) 15. Joe Keehan 18. Matt Johnson 25. Dominic Green

Yeovil Town:
1. John Sullivan
21. Jean-Paul Kalala 19. Adam Virgo 5. Paul Huntington 3. Nathan Jones
7. Andrew Williams 25. Shaun MacDonald 20. Owain Tudur Jones 11. Andy Welsh
10. Dean Bowditch 9. Sam Williams

22. Ben Roberts (GK) 16. Edward Upson 17. Craig Calver 23. Billy Gibson 18. Luke Freeman 31. Rhys Baggridge

Rushden Bookings: Jamie Day (35 mins, foul)
Yeovil Bookings: None

Referee: Mark Brown (East Yorkshire). Assistants: Nick Hobbis (Birmingham) and Rob Ellis (West Midlands). Fourth Official: David Rock (Hertfordshire).

Attendance: 1,666 (including 336 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape