Match Details: Yeovil Town v Swindon Town
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Swindon Town

Match Details: 30/10/2010
Yeovil Town 3-3 Swindon Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Gavin Williams (45), Dean Bowditch (50), Dean Bowditch (61)

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Paul Huntington, 8. Luke Ayling, 10. Dean Bowditch, 11. Andy Welsh, 13. Stephen Henderson, 19. Adam Virgo, 20. Owain Tudur Jones, 21. Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala, 24. Gavin Williams, 25. Shaun MacDonald
Subs: 7. Andy Williams, 9. Sam Williams, 16. Ed Upson, 17. Craig Calver, 18. Luke Freeman, 22. Ben Roberts, 23. Billy Gibson,

Substitutes Used: Sam Williams for Andy Welsh (36 mins), Ben Roberts for Stephen Henderson (46 mins), Andy Williams for Gavin Williams (75 mins)

Bookings: Luke Ayling (Foul, 69), Owain Tudur Jones (Foul, 71)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town threw away a two goal lead in a six goal thriller this afternoon at Huish Park, a Swindon Town came back from the dead to grab a 3-3 draw, with Sean Morrison and Jon-Paul McGovern stealing a point for the Robins. The home side looked to have wrapped the game up despite falling behind to a Charlie Austin strike. A Gavin Williams free kick and two second half goals from Dean Bowditch had put them 3-1 up and cruising despite Ben Roberts being forced into goal for the second period. But Swindon's two late strikes sent them back into the relegation zone, ending the day in 22nd place.

The Glovers started the game by making four changes with Andy Welsh replacing Luke Freeman, whilst an injury to Nathan Smith forced Nathan Jones to make a rare start. Adam Virgo recovered from his groin strain, displacing Sam Williams and with Owain Tudur Jones moving back into midfield, whilst Shaun MacDonald came in for Ed Upson.

The first period, or at least the opening 45 and a half of the first period, was not good for the Glovers, and overall was a poor quality one for both sides. Paul Caddis shot a long ranger over the bar for the visitors whilst Gavin Williams did the same for the Glovers.

But the scoring was opened with some poor defending from the Glovers midway through the half. Matt Ritchie's cross into the box looked harmless enough, with three Yeovil players in the box and only Charlie Austin present for the visitors. But stand-in captain Paul Huntington sliced the ball off his knee, and Austin took advantage, putting Swindon a goal up.

The Glovers were giving the ball away inside their own half way too frequently, almost inviting trouble, and in one such skirmish, Matt Ritchie and Stephen Henderson went in for a loose ball with Henderson bravely saving but getting Ritchie's boot on his head for his troubles. It was a physical first half, typical of previous encounters with Swindon - all blood'n'thunder from both sides, but not a lot of quality. Manager Terry Skiverton made a tactical switch, with left winger Andy Welsh the fall guy on 35 minutes, replaced by Sam Williams as the Glovers switched to a 4-4-2. There was nothing particularly wrong with anything that Welsh had done, over and above the rest of his team-mates, but something needed to change urgently.

Right with the last kick of the half, Yeovil got themselves a lifeline. A bit of poor goalkeeping from David Lucas saw Swindon concede a free kick right on the edge of the box. Up stepped Gavin Williams and fired a low equalising goal to make the half time team talk a little bit less shouty, even if Terry Skiverton will have been concerned at the quality of play from his side. At least his half time 'discussion' could be done with a slight smile on his face - the Glovers did not deserve the equaliser that they got at the break, but few in the home end would complain.

The start of the second period brought a few complications as Ben Roberts made his first appearance in a professional match for over six years, as Henderson's head injury forced him to sit out the remaining 45 minutes. With John Sullivan the 'sixth loan' and sat in the stands, Roberts had to put on the Glovers for the first time since a May 2004 Play-Off Final against Bristol City whilst playing for Brighton.

Whatever was said in the dressing room, it transformed the second half. Substitute Sam Williams used his physical presence to get in front of David Lucas five minutes after the break, and his flicked header fell into the path of Dean Bowditch who put the Glovers ahead for the first time in the game.

Ten minutes later, matters got even better, as a long ball over the top from Nathan Jones put Dean Bowditch through and behind the Swindon back four. He finished wonderfully to put the Glovers 3-1 up. Indeed, they could have put the game entirely out of sight as Bowditch grabbed two more chances that went wide of the target as the Glovers dominated the half, with Swindon manager Danny Wilson looking like he was going to explode at times, either with something he didn't like about the officials, or something he liked even less about his players.

As the minutes ticked out though, Wilson's blood pressure was to come down significantly, as his side came back from the dead to snatch a point. The Glovers had been sitting back deeper and deeper after Swindon had gradually pushed men forward through tactical switches and substitutions. From a corner, Sean Morrison was given far too much to plant the ball home, and suddenly it was game on.

For some reason, no-one bothered to put the Huish Park floodlights on for the second period, and as the light gradually disappeared, so did Yeovil's lead in the growing gloom. Substitute Vincent Pericard's cross was only half punched away by Ben Roberts, who had very little to do until the final ten minutes, and as David Prutton pushed the ball to Jon-Paul McGovern, the substitute fired the ball into the top corner to pull two goals back inside two minutes and give Swindon a share of the game.

There was an obvious concern that the Glovers might fall apart entirely as Swindon charged for the winner, but they held out for a 3-3 draw. However, when you're two goals up with three minutes remaining, the final whistle left home players and supporters with their heads in their hands at the disappointment of throwing away the win. The equalising goal also meant that the Glovers dropped down to 22nd in the League One table, when they could have ended the day in 17th. Such are the fine lines between success and failure.

Link: Latest 2010-11 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 3 Swindon Town 3.

Scorers: Charlie Austin (23 mins, 0-1), Gavin Williams (45 mins, 1-1), Dean Bowditch (50 mins, 2-1), Dean Bowditch (61 mins, 3-1), Sean Morrison (87 mins, 3-2), Jon-Paul McGovern (88 mins, 3-3).

Yeovil Town: (4-4-1-1)
13. Stephen Henderson
8. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 19. Adam Virgo 3. Nathan Jones
25. Shaun MacDonald 21. Jean-Paul Kalala 20. Owain Tudur Jones 11. Andy Welsh
24. Gavin Williams
10. Dean Bowditch

22. Ben Roberts (GK) (46 mins for Stephen Henderson) 7. Andrew Williams (75 mins for Gavin Williams) 9. Sam Williams (36 mins for Andy Welsh) 16. Ed Upson 17. Craig Calver 18. Luke Freeman 23. Billy Gibson

Swindon Town:
1. David Lucas
2. Scott Cuthbert 14. Sean Morrison 5. Andy Frampton 3. Michael Rose
6. Paul Caddis 8. Simon Ferry 10. David Prutton 22. Matt Ritchie
16. David Ball 32. Charlie Austin

12. Phil Smith (GK) 7. Jon-Paul McGovern (46 mins for Simon Ferry) 9. Vincent Pericard (64 mins for David Ball) 18. Alan O'Brien (57 mins for Paul Caddis) 23. Nathan Thompson 34. Will Evans 20. Thomas Dossevi

Yeovil Bookings: Luke Ayling (69 mins, foul), Owain Tudur Jones (71 mins, foul)
Swindon Bookings: Andy Frampton (13 mins, foul)

Referee: Mick Russell (Hertfordshire). Assistants: Lee Collins (Surrey) and Adrian Tranter (Dorset). Fourth Official: Steve Cook (Surrey).

Attendance: 4,671
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape