Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 16/03/2010
Carlisle United 1-0 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Alex McCarthy, 2. Craig Alcock, 5. Steven Caulker, 6. Terrell Forbes, 9. Sam Williams, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 14. Dean Bowditch, 16. Scott Murray, 25. Shaun MacDonald, 27. Scott Davies, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 7. Arron Davies, 8. Keiran Murtagh, 11. Andy Welsh, 15. Richard Martin, 17. Aidan Downes, 23. Danny Hutchins,

Substitutes Used: Andy Welsh for Scott Murray (56 mins), Arron Davies for Gavin Tomlin (68 mins)

Bookings: Terrell Forbes (Foul, 47)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town lost 1-0 at Brunton Park tonight, as a single Adam Clayton goal saw Carlisle United grab all three points in a fairly scrappy low quality encounter. Clayton's goal came when Glovers keeper Alex McCarthy punched a corner to the edge of the box and the Manchester City midfielder fired home. Yeovil only really woke up in the final 10 minutes of the game, and couldn't find a way through, despite a few late chances.

The Glovers went into the match without the suspended Gavin Williams and the injured Jean-Paul Kalala (hip) whilst Scott Davies made his debut, and Scott Murray surprisingly lined up on the left wing. Despite bringing in Davies on loan, Yeovil could only field six substitutes again.

The game got off to a quiet start, but the opening chance fell to Carlisle when home striker Jason Price got in front of his marker but headed wide of the target. At the other end Williams and Bowditch combined well in Yeovil's first attack only to find a slightly weak shot easily saved by Adam Collin. As the half wore on, Carlisle gradually began to assert control on the game, albeit with few chances. Price again was involved in one of those, sending a second headed chance over the bar. Graham Kavanagh shot wide from the edge of the box in a fairly wayward attempt and that was matched by a similar long-ranger at the other end from Scott Davies that was just as unlikely to trouble either goalkeeper.

Carlisle were forced into a half time substitution with Ben Marshall, who had gone into a block tackle with Nathan Smith midway through the first half, taken off and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson coming on. The second half opened up with more of the same, with only a deflected shot from Graham Kavanagh providing any goalmouth action in the opening 20 minutes.

But on 66 minutes, the breakthrough came from a Carlisle set piece, with Glovers keeper Alex McCarthy punching Marc Bridge-Wilkinson's corner to the edge of the area. But the Glovers failed to pick up Adam Clayton and he was able to fire the loose ball from 20 yards out and past an out of position McCarthy for the opening goal of the game. A match of very few chances, but on the balance of play a deserved lead.

It took until the final 10 minutes of the game for Yeovil to have their first chance of the second period of any description, although Sam Williams shot into the midriff of home keeper Adam Collin for a comfortable save. Minutes later Shaun MacDonald went inches away from converting when he fired from just inside the box, having burst inside, and suddenly Carisle looked nervy as the Glovers got half a sniff of an equaliser. Craig Alcock headed wide an Andy Welsh corner. Deep into injury time, Steven Caulker sliced one last chance wide of the target, but it was all too little too late.

Once again the Glovers proved to be Jekyll and Hyde with their home and away performances, with the team a shadow of the side that had hammered Hartlepool 4-0 on Saturday. Few players shone, with Steven Caulker one of the players that deserved credit on the night. But apart from the final 10 minutes, there was little attacking intent, and although Carlisle did little more at the other end, their attacking play and balls into the box were more incisive, and on that count, they probably deserved their win.

Final Score: Carlisle United 1 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: Adam Clayton (66 mins, 1-0)

Carlisle United:
1. Adam Collin
21. Richard Keogh 5. Danny Livesey 14. Ian Harte 3. Evan Horwood
8. Graham Kavanagh 11. Paul Thirlwell 25. Adam Clayton
10. Matthew Robson 31. Jason Price 16. Ben Marshall

39. Mark Gillespie (GK) 4. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson (46 mins for Ben Marshall) 6. Peter Murphy (73 mins for Danny Livesey) 17. Richard Offiong 19. Tom Aldred 23. Tony Kane 28. Gary Madine (65 mins for Graham Kavanagh)

Yeovil Town:
1. Alex McCarthy
2. Craig Alcock 6. Terrell Forbes 5. Steven Caulker 28. Nathan Smith
10. Gavin Tomlin 27. Scott Davies 25. Shaun MacDonald 16. Scott Murray
9. Sam Williams 14. Dean Bowditch

15. Richard Martin (GK) 8. Keiran Murtagh 11. Andy Welsh (56 mins for Scott Murray) 17. Aidan Downes 7. Arron Davies (68 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 23. Danny Hutchins

Carlisle Bookings: None.
Yeovil Bookings: Terrell Forbes (foul, 47 mins)

Referee: Tony Bates (Staffordshire). Assistants: Ross Joyce (Cleveland) and Lee Metcalfe (Lancashire). Fourth Official: Stephen Smith (County Durham).

Attendance: 3,731 (including 83 Glovers fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape