Match Details: Charlton Athletic v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Charlton Athletic v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 20/02/2010
Charlton Athletic 2-0 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Alex McCarthy, 2. Craig Alcock, 5. Steven Caulker, 6. Terrell Forbes, 7. Arron Davies, 9. Sam Williams, 11. Andy Welsh, 14. Dean Bowditch, 20. Owain Tudur Jones, 25. Shaun MacDonald, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 8. Keiran Murtagh, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 15. Richard Martin, 16. Scott Murray, 17. Aidan Downes, 21. Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala, 23. Danny Hutchins,

Substitutes Used: Gavin Tomlin for Andy Welsh (61 mins), Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala for Arron Davies (69 mins), Keiran Murtagh for Owain Tudur Jones (83 mins)

Bookings: Nathan Smith (Foul, 82)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down by a two goal scoreline at The Valley today, as once again their failure to finish in front of goal cost them dearly. A goal in each half from Kyel Reid and David Mooney was enough to ensure that Charlton grabbed all three points. The Glovers created plenty of chances of their own, but far too many of them went straight down the throat of home keeper Rob Elliot, meaning that the Glovers have now failed to score in four of their last five matches. Thankfully, the damage done by the defeat is just a single place slip in the League One table, although a whole series of changes below the Glovers means that things continue to tighten up near the bottom.

The Glovers made just one change to their Tuesday night line-up with Craig Alcock unsurprisingly coming in for the injured Stefan Stam. Striker Sam Williams was selected in the starting line-up against his former club, whilst Keiran Murtagh was another former Addick visiting the Valley - however he could only make the bench.

Williams had the first big chance to open up the scoring for Yeovil - receiving the ball from Dean Bowditch and being put clean through on goal. His shot was a little bit too down the middle and home keeper Rob Elliot was able to rescue the Addicks by saving with his legs. At the other end, Nicky Bailey also squandered a great chance in a one-on-one with Alex McCarthy doing well to race off his line and narrow the angle before the midfielder could compose himself, smothering Bailey's attempt. With quarter of an hour gone, the game could easily have been 1-1.

Sam Williams was put through again by Shaun MacDonald only to find Rob Elliot in the way again. No question that Yeovil were capable of creating chances in what was an open end to end game, but clearly they couldn't continue to send such attempts straight down the middle of the goal - failing to convert chances they got during the first period was to ultimately prove costly.

Just before the half hour mark Charlton took the lead. Kyel Reid got far too much space to move forward down the middle of the park, but his fairly speculative attempt on goal appeared to catch Alex McCarthy out, with the shot squirming through the Yeovil keeper's hands and into the net for an opening goal that firstly questioned why no-one had closed down Reid's run, but also questioned whether McCarthy had been deceived by the shot in some way and misjudged the shot.

The Glovers nearly responded immediately when their first corner of the half saw Craig Alcock grab a free header as he ghosted in from deep from a corner but home keeper Rob Elliot was able to palm the ball away, with again the ball going far too close to the keeper. The same player tried his luck from 25 yards out as he drove past Nicky Bailey in an impressive forward run, and his strike left Rob Elliot scrambling to cover his goal post. At half time Yeovil could feel a little hard done-by, although their finishing needed to be better from the chances they had created.

Ten minutes into the second half, Charlton doubled their lead, after Yeovil went to sleep on a throw-in. Therry Racon received the ball, and pulled the ball back into the box, allowing David Mooney the chance to fire past Reading team-mate Alex McCarthy and to double Charlton's lead. On this occasion, nothing McCarthy could have done, but plenty his back four could have been doing to close down Racon and Mooney in the build-up.

The Glovers initially rallied well, suggesting that there is still plenty of fight left in the side, but Charlton began to get back on top in the game, dominating the midfield. The Glovers made a couple of substitutions with both wingers replaced as Andy Welsh and Arron Davies were withdrawn for Gavin Tomlin and Jean-Paul Kalala as Yeovil switched to the diamond formation in an attempt to shore things up in midfield.

Thereafter things fizzled out somewhat, with Charlton beginning to look comfortable, and Yeovil running out of ideas. Had they managed to convert some of their chances at 0-0 it could have been a different looking game, but that's often the way that football games are won and lost at this level - by the team that scores the first goal, and that is in danger of costing the Glovers vital points at present. That said, it shouldn't be forgotten where Charlton are aiming for, and the financial gulf between the two sides. With Leeds and Norwich dropping points today, Charlton will still feel that they can get where they want to get to at the first attempt. Next stop for the Glovers is now Tuesday at Walsall, where the stakes will continue to get higher.

Link: 2009-10 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Charlton Athletic 2 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: Kyel Reid (29 mins, 1-0), David Mooney (54 mins, 2-0)

Charlton Athletic:
1. Rob Elliot
2. Frazer Richardson 5. Miguel Angel Llera 35. Christian Dailly 37. Johnnie Jackson
11. Lloyd Sam 4. Nicky Bailey 8. Therry Racon 24. Kyel Reid
10. Deon Burton 23. David Mooney

25. Darren Randolph (GK) 6. Jose Vitor Semedo (90 mins for Therry Racon) 9. Leon McKenzie 16. Scott Wagstaff (76 mins for Lloyd Sam) 18. Sam Sodje 20. Chris Solly 33. Akpo Sodje

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Alex McCarthy
2. Craig Alcock 5. Steven Caulker 6. Terrell Forbes 28. Nathan Smith
7. Arron Davies 20. Owain Tudur Jones 25. Shaun MacDonald 11. Andy Welsh
9. Sam Williams 14. Dean Bowditch

15. Richard Martin (GK) 8. Keiran Murtagh (83 mins for Owain Tudur Jones) 10. Gavin Tomlin (61 mins for Andy Welsh) 16. Scott Murray 17. Aidan Downes 21. JP Kalala (69 mins for Arron Davies) 23. Danny Hutchins

Charlton Bookings: Christian Dailly (90 mins, foul)
Yeovil Bookings: Nathan Smith (82 mins, foul)

Referee: Fred Graham (Essex). Assistants: Steve Creighton (Berkshire) and Harry Lennard (East Sussex). Fourth Official: Barry Holderness (Essex).

Attendance: 15,991 (including approx 500 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape