Match Details: Huddersfield Town v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Huddersfield Town v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 29/08/2009
Huddersfield Town 2-1 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Keiran Murtagh (6)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Alex McCarthy, 2. Craig Alcock, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Steven Caulker, 6. Terrell Forbes, 8. Keiran Murtagh, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 13. Ryan Mason, 22. Danny Schofield, 26. Jonathan Obika, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 4. Stefan Stam, 7. George O'Callaghan, 9. Sam Williams, 11. Andy Welsh, 15. Richard Martin, 16. Scott Murray, 18. Andy Lindegaard,

Substitutes Used: Andy Welsh for Nathan Jones (71 mins), Sam Williams for Gavin Tomlin (72 mins), George O'Callaghan for Ryan Mason (80 mins)

Bookings: Gavin Tomlin (Foul, 35), Nathan Smith (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down to a 2-1 defeat at the Galpharm Stadium at lunchtime today, despite giving Huddersfield Town an early scare by taking the lead against the big-spending Yorkshire side. A Keiran Murtagh strike put them a goal up just 6 minutes into the match, meaning that for once Yeovil started in a positive manner. But goals from Theo Robinson and Michael Collins put the home side in the ascendancy and despite an end-to-end finale, Huddersfield were able to maintain their 100 percent home record.

Yeovil went into the game making two changes to their starting line-up with Nathan Smith and Ryan Mason returning from injury although both players finished the game carrying knocks. Andy Welsh and George O'Callaghan dropped to the bench, whilst defender Stefan Stam's comeback from injury was only enough to get him a place on the bench. Former Yeovil Town right-back Lee Peltier recovered from a cheekbone injury to come up against the Glovers for the first time.

The Glovers got off to a dream start with a long range Keiran Murtagh effort just six minutes into the half, hitting the top corner of the net from 25 yards out after he blocked a Huddersfield clearance from a corner - a great way for him to open his scoring account for Yeovil Town, and he celebrated his goal wildly as the majority of the Galpharm Stadium were stunned. That seemed to introduce a bit of nerviness to the home side and their supporters - perhaps Murtagh's goal made them realise they were going to be involved in a game, rather than the walkover that the bookies would have led them to believe they were going to get.

Yeovil could have been 2-0 up within 13 minutes of the match starting. Former Glover Lee Peltier had a moment to forget when he tripped his close friend Nathan Smith - playing as a left-winger and so up against Pelts. The challenge was just inside the box, and so referee Simon Hooper pointed to the spot. Sadly though, Gavin Tomlin's spot kick was well saved by home keeper Alex Smithies, and Tomlin's attempt to grab the rebound was also blocked by the keeper.

The Terriers could have equalised when Peter Clarke forced Glovers keeper Alex McCarthy into a strong parried save but when the ball came back to Clarke, the Huddersfield captain sliced his attempt across the face of goal. At the other end, Jonathan Obika almost took advantage of a mix-up between defender Andy Butler and goalkeeper Smithies. The two Terriers players collided as they deliberated over who should take control of the ball, but Obika also got caught up in the collision and landed on the deck and the loose ball was cleared.

Yeovil on the whole looked comfortable in an end-to-end first half, and so they would have been disappointed that a lapse of concentration contributed to Huddersfield's equaliser. Striker Theo Robinson had been off receiving treatment for an injury and when he hobbled back onto the field of play, Anthony Pilkington's cross to the back post saw Robinson unmarked and probably unnoticed by the Yeovil defence and he was able to finish from eight yards out in free space. 1-1 and that was how the teams went in at the break.

The second period saw Huddersfield assume far more control of the game, and they took the lead for the first time 20 minutes into the half. The Glovers had taken a free kick a little too quickly and home keeper Alex Smithies produced a quick clearance to set up Lionel Ainsworth on the wing. His cross into the box saw Michael Collins in plenty of free space, with the Glovers midfielders struggling to regain their ground, and he was able to plant a free header past Alex McCarthy to make it 2-1.

A double substitution immediately followed with Andy Welsh and Sam Williams introduced for Nathan Jones and Gavin Tomlin. Ten minutes later, the Glovers suffered a blow when Ryan Mason went down with a groin injury and had to be replaced by George O'Callaghan.

The end period of the game looked extremely stretched both ways, with the Glovers committing players forward and Jon Obika and Andy Welsh both having shots blocked by Terriers defenders as they attempted to find an equaliser. However, Huddersfield substitute Robbie Simpson could have put the game out of sight when he got put through in a one-on-one with Alex McCarthy, but Yeovil's on loan keeper put in an excellent blocking save.

Andy Welsh almost deceived home keeper Alex Smithies with a quickly taken free kick in the dying seconds of the game, when he took a free kick quickly as Smithies lined up his wall on his near post, but Smithies was just about able to scramble to his opposite post to turn the ball round for a corner. But three minutes of injury time didn't change matters, and despite running them close, Yeovil will have nothing to show from their 12 hour trip to the Galpharm today. Let's hope that the journey home is a little kinder and that the injury to Ryan Mason and the late knock to Nathan Smith caused by a hefty challenge by Robbie Simpson are not too serious.

Final Score: Huddersfield Town 2 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Keiran Murtagh (0-1, 6 mins), Theo Robinson (1-1, 33 mins), Michael Collins (2-1, 65 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Alex McCarthy
2. Craig Alcock (capt) 5. Steven Caulker 6. Terrell Forbes 3. Nathan Jones
22. Danny Schofield 13. Ryan Mason 8. Keiran Murtagh 28. Nathan Smith
26. Jonathan Obika 10. Gavin Tomlin

4. Stefan Stam 7. George O'Callaghan (80 mins for Ryan Mason) 9. Sam Williams (72 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 11. Andy Welsh (71 mins for Nathan Jones) 15. Richard Martin (GK) 16. Scott Murray 18. Andy Lindegaard

Huddersfield Town: (4-4-2)
1. Alex Smithies
2. Lee Peltier 18. Andy Butler 5. Peter Clarke (capt) 3. Joe Skarz
28. Lionel Ainsworth 4. Michael Collins 8. Antony Kay 19. Anthony Pilkington
9. Theo Robinson 17. Jordan Rhodes

Matt Glennon, Nathan Clarke, Robbie Simpson (65 mins for Lionel Ainsworth), Jim Goodwin (80 mins for Antony Kay), Robbie Williams, Lee Novak (56 mins for Jordan Rhodes), James Berrett

Huddersfield Bookings: Robbie Simpson (90 mins, foul)

Yeovil Bookings: Gavin Tomlin (35 mins, foul), Nathan Smith (90 mins, retaliation)

Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire). Assistants: Steve Cook (Derbyshire) and Jonathan Hunt (County Durham). Fourth Official: Chris Akers (South Yorkshire).

Attendance: 12,646 (including 233 Yeovil supporters)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape