Match Details: Colchester United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Colchester United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 15/08/2009
Colchester United 2-1 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Ryan Mason (82)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Alex McCarthy, 3. Nathan Jones, 4. Stefan Stam, 5. Steven Caulker, 6. Terrell Forbes, 7. George O'Callaghan, 9. Sam Williams, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 11. Andy Welsh, 13. Ryan Mason, 16. Scott Murray,
Subs: 2. Craig Alcock, 8. Keiran Murtagh, 15. Richard Martin, 18. Andy Lindegaard, 26. Jonathan Obika, 28. Nathan Smith, 32. Andre McCollin

Substitutes Used: Nathan Smith for Andy Welsh (61 mins), Jonathan Obika for Gavin Tomlin (64 mins)

Bookings: George O'Callaghan (Foul, 89)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down to their second defeat in four days as they lost 2-1 at Colchester United this afternoon. A slow start with some questionable defending saw the Glovers two goals behind inside 18 minutes through midfielder David Fox and winger Ashley Vincent. A Ryan Mason free kick eight minutes from the end threatened to salvage something out of the match, but really Colchester got what they deserved on the balance of play and could easily have had the game out of sight by the time Yeovil mounted a mini-revival during the final 30 minutes.

The Glovers went into the match making just one change, with Danny Schofield dropping out of the squad entirely and being replaced by Ryan Mason in the centre of midfield. Otherwise, the starting eleven and subs bench was exactly as per the midweek defeat against Norwich City.

Apart from a busy looking opening five minutes, the Glovers had a poor first half and conceded twice early on. Both goals suggested a lack of shape at the back and in midfield. For the first, far too many players drifted towards the right side of Yeovil's defence after Colchester took the ball down that flank, and the end result was one Yeovil player left marking two Colchester counterparts on the edge of the box. Ashley Vincent got in the first attempt that was well blocked, but the ball fell loose to former Glovers target David Fox, and his strike which took a heavy deflection off an incoming Yeovil player gave Alex McCarthy no chance at all.

The second goal, after 18 minutes, also was initiated from Yeovil's right flank. And once again, the Glovers seemed to be exposed once the ball got pushed into the middle, with neither Nathan Jones nor Stefan Stam decisive enough to pick up Ashley Vincent who planted a soft header past McCarthy from just six yards out.

The Glovers rarely threatened the Colchester goal during a first period where the home side could easily have added to their lead. Their best chance of the half came 10 minutes before the break, when Gavin Tomlin was adjudged to have been fouled by Lee Beevers. Referee Russell Booth was having an awful match, and really got this decision wrong on two counts. Firstly Tomlin appeared to have lost control of the ball before Beevers got near him, but secondly once Booth gave the decision, it had to be a spot kick, with the offence clearly inside the box. Instead we ended up with a cop-out and a decision that both sides were furious with.

The second half threatened more of the same, although ten minutes in, Yeovil did carve out their best chance of the game, with Sam Williams doing well to pull the ball back from the byline to Ryan Mason, who perhaps tried to place his header a little too much from his close range spot - heading just wide of the post.

Just past the hour mark, and with little suggestion that Yeovil could get back into the game, manager Terry Skiverton decided to change matters - firstly introducing Nathan Smith for Andy Welsh, then bringing on Jonathan Obika for Gavin Tomlin. Smith in particular made a strong impact, getting forward from his left wing position with Yeovil pushing bodies forward and at times almost leaning towards playing with wing-backs as Forbes tried the same from the opposite flank. For a short while Colchester were rattled.

With eight minutes left, the erratic Russell Booth awarded Yeovil a controversial free kick when Sam Williams was deemed to have been fouled on the edge of the box. Up stepped Ryan Mason to half the deficit by placing a low drive into the bottom left hand corner and to step up a grand finale.

Whilst chasing the game, the Glovers were leaving holes at the back and at times the home side caught them on the break - thankfully both Lisbie and Vernon looked off form. Vernon did have his own penalty appeals turned down when he claimed to be pushed in the box when planting a header into the side netting, and that lack of a decision caused home boss Paul Lambert to spontaneously combust within his technical area, and for the Fourth Official to repeat to referee Booth just exactly what was said. Lambert was given his marching orders, although Booth continued his lack of control on the game even there - allowing Lambert to merely take his place alongside a group of non-playing Colchester staff, one row behind their substitutes and still able to bark out orders.

Five minutes of injury time came and went without incident, but really the Glovers wouldn't have deserved an equaliser if they'd grabbed it. Far too many players were anonymous for the first 60 minutes, and the balance of the side allowed Colchester to lob balls behind the Yeovil midfield where there were too many gaps through players pushing up field, thus immediately putting pressure on the Glovers back line. The double substitution changed things far more positively, but by then the game was already lost. Some thought is needed about how Yeovil approach away matches, with the Glovers now not having won on their travels for over six months. Today was a little too easy for Colchester until that final half hour.

Final Score: Colchester United 2 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: David Fox (1-0, 9 mins), Ashley Vincent (2-0, 18 mins), Ryan Mason (2-1, 82 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Alex McCarthy
6. Terrell Forbes 4. Stefan Stam 5. Steven Caulker 3. Nathan Jones
16. Scott Murray 7. George O'Callaghan 13. Ryan Mason 11. Andy Welsh
9. Sam Williams 10. Gavin Tomlin

15. Richard Martin (GK) 2. Craig Alcock 8. Keiran Murtagh 18. Andy Lindegaard 26. Jonathan Obika (64 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 28. Nathan Smith (61 mins for Andy Welsh) 32. Andre McCollin

Colchester United:
1. Ben Williams
3. Lee Beevers 4. Magnus Okuonghae 5. Pat Baldwin 23. Marc Tierney
7. Ashley Vincent 8. Dean Hammond 14. David Fox 11. Simon Hackney
20. Kevin Lisbie 29. Scott Vernon

12. Mark Cousins (GK) 2. Alan Maybury 10. Kemal Izzet (71 mins for Kevin Lisbie) 16. Gary Holt 17. David Perkins (85 mins for Simon Hackney) 19. Joel Thomas 22. Anthony Wordsworth

Colchester Bookings: Simon Hackney (56 mins, dissent), Ashley Vincent (87 mins, kicking ball away)
Yeovil Bookings: George O'Callaghan (89 mins, foul)

Referee: Russell Booth (Nottinghamshire). Assistants: Ian Cooper (Kent) and Oleksandr Saliy (Middlesex). Fourth Official: David Rock (Hertfordshire).

Attendance: 4,263 (including 139 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape