Match Details: Stockport County v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Stockport County v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 18/11/2008
Stockport County 5-0 Yeovil Town
FA Cup First Round Replay

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Nathan Jones, 4. Terry Skiverton, 11. Danny Schofield, 12. Craig Alcock, 13. Josh Wagenaar, 16. Gary Roberts, 17. Aidan Downes, 18. Keiran Murtagh, 23. Aaron Brown, 25. Gifton Noel-Williams, 27. Lee Peltier,
Subs: 6. Terrell Forbes, 9. Andy Welsh, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 14. Paul Warne, 22. Jordan Street, 28. Nathan Smith, 31. Lloyd Irish

Substitutes Used: Paul Warne for Gifton Noel-Williams (57 mins), Terrell Forbes for Aidan Downes (65 mins), Gavin Tomlin for Gary Roberts (76 mins)

Bookings: Aaron Brown (Professional Foul, 15), Lee Peltier (Foul, 21), Craig Alcock (Handball, 47)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town were routed at Edgeley Park tonight as they lost their FA Cup First Round replay against Stockport County by a 5-0 scoreline. They had to play 75 minutes of the match with 10 men after Aaron Brown was dismissed for a professional foul. The Hatters went on to punish their visitors severely with five different players finding the net, including former Glover Michael Rose, who netted the second.

The Glovers went into the game with Marc Bircham (ankle), Gareth Owen (unable to play against parent club) and Darren Way (illness) all missing and that meant that Aaron Brown was quickly drafted back into the starting line-up after recovering from a hip injury, whilst Keiran Murtagh was brought in for Way.

The game got off to a whirlwind start, with two goals, a penalty, a red card and a strike of the woodwork all inside the opening 16 minutes. Unfortunately for Yeovil, everything that could go wrong did go wrong, even if the opening play promised so much.

Less than 4 minutes into the match, Yeovil won themselves a penalty, when Johnny Mullins brought down Gary Roberts in the box. Up stepped Danny Schofield but home keeper Owain fon Williams saved the spot kick with his legs and the Hatters breathed a sigh of relief. At least two attempts to poke in the rebound came to nothing.

If that was a blow for the Glovers, then just two minutes later it got worse. A corner from Tommy Rowe was met by the head of Gary Dicker who was entirely unmarked and was able to head home from just six yards out. Yeovil tried to hit back and Aaron Brown struck the post at the other end with a header, but Brown's own evening turned sour when he pulled the shirt of on loan Oldham striker Craig Davies as he headed towards goal and despite the close attention of Terry Skiverton, referee Rob Shoebridge saw it as a goalscoring opportunity and waved a red card to leave Yeovil having to play 75 minutes with 10 men.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, up stepped a former player Michael Rose, who was part of Yeovil's 2004-05 League Two title winning squad picked up the ball for the set piece and fired home the free kick to double Yeovil's punishment and double Stockport's lead. 2-0 down and with 10 men on the field a huge mountain to climb, given that sitting back in a cup competition whilst two goals adrift just wasn't an option. Yet if they pushed up with a man short, they could easily get hammered. As it happened, neither side really contributed much to the middle period of the first half, with the Glovers struggling to find openings and Stockport appearing content with their lot. Yeovil operated with a 4-3-2 formation with Lee Peltier having to play a central defensive role, and although he never looked comfortable there, at least the ship was being steadied a touch.

However, three minutes before the break, and just as it looked as though Yeovil would go in at half time with something to think about, an awful Gary Roberts crossfield pass was intercepted by Anthony Pilkington and he broke, producing a cross was diverted unwittingly by an unfortunate Terry Skiverton into the path of Matty McNeil, who had all the time he needed to make it a 3-0 scoreline. If it wasn't game over at 2-0, then at 3-0 it most certainly was. The half time team talk was going to be largely a case of telling the players to keep their heads.

Terry Skiverton got in a free header that went just over the bar as the Glovers came out operating in a 4-4-1 formation. But it didn't take long for Stockport to extend their lead and three minutes from the restart Anthony Pilkington volleyed home for the fourth goal of the night, after Craig Alcock was pulled up for a handball. From the set piece taken by Michael Rose, Stockport took clinical advantage of the situation, with Skivo's half-clearance falling to Pilkington who shot from the edge of the box.

Aidan Downes limped off with a suspected groin injury and Terrell Forbes was introduced allowing Lee Peltier to move into a more comfortable central midfield position. The second half dissolved into nothingness with the game well over and neither side willing to stretch themselves into doing too much more with a game on Saturday to come.

They almost got some joy at the end when substitute Paul Warne struck the post - the second time that Yeovil had done so on the night. To sum up a rotten evening, Stockport substitute James Vincent struck a fifth goal almost immediately down the other end, and the only positive of the night was that refere Rob Shoebridge decided he fancied an early night by ignoring the need for any second half injury time. It was the kindest thing he could possibly do.

Whilst going out of the FA Cup will be seen as a major blow to the club, the five goal thrashing will be of more concern in how it affects the players' confidence for Saturday's match against Tranmere Rovers. Equally of concern will be that Aaron Brown will be serving a suspension, whilst Gifton Noel-Williams and Aidan Downes limped off during the second half - the latter looking as though he has a groin strain. The need to sign up defender Gareth Owen and striker Luke Rodgers becomes all the more significant if Yeovil are to put this ugly result behind them.

Final Score: Stockport County 5 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: Gary Dicker (6 mins, 1-0), Michael Rose (16 mins, 2-0), Matty McNeil (42 mins, 3-0), Anthony Pilkington (48 mins, 4-0), James Vincent (90 mins, 5-0).

Stockport County: (4-4-2)
1. Owain fon Williams 2. Johnny Mullins 16. James Tunnicliffe 11. Tommy Rowe 3. Michael Rose 14. Jason Taylor 15. Michael Raynes 8. Gary Dicker 7. Anthony Pilkington 35. Craig Davies 19. Matty McNeil

23. Lloyd Rigby (GK) 4. Dominic Blizzard 10. Carl Baker 18. Paul Turnbull 20. Leon McSweeney (55 mins for James Tunnicliffe) 24. Greg Tansey (60 mins for Tommy Rowe) 28. James Vincent (76 mins for Anthony Pilkington)

Yeovil Town: (4-5-1)
13. Josh Wagenaar
12. Craig Alcock 23. Aaron Brown 4. Terry Skiverton 3. Nathan Jones
11. Danny Schofield 16. Gary Roberts 27. Lee Peltier 18. Keiran Murtagh 17. Aidan Downes
25. Gifton Noel-Williams

31. Lloyd Irish (GK) 6. Terrell Forbes (65 mins for Aidan Downes) 9. Andrew Welsh 10. Gavin Tomlin (76 mins for Gary Roberts) 14. Paul Warne (57 mins for Gifton Noel-Williams) 22. Jordan Street 28. Nathan Smith

Stockport Bookings: None.
Yeovil Bookings: Lee Peltier (foul, 21 mins), Craig Alcock (handball, 47 mins). Red Card: Aaron Brown (professional foul, 15 mins)

Referee: Rob Shoebridge (Derbyshire). Assistants: Steve Cook (Derbyshire) and Ian Dudley (Nottinghamshire). Fourth Official: Paul Tierney (Lancashire).

Attendance: 3,260 (including 114 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape