Match Details: Yeovil Town v Stockport County
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Stockport County

Match Details: 08/11/2008
Yeovil Town 1-1 Stockport County
FA Cup First Round

Yeovil Goals: Terry Skiverton (60)

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Nathan Jones, 4. Terry Skiverton, 6. Terrell Forbes, 8. Darren Way, 11. Danny Schofield, 12. Craig Alcock, 13. Josh Wagenaar, 14. Paul Warne, 16. Gary Roberts, 25. Gifton Noel-Williams, 27. Lee Peltier,
Subs: 9. Andy Welsh, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 15. Scott Rendell, 17. Aidan Downes, 18. Keiran Murtagh, 28. Nathan Smith, 31. Lloyd Irish

Substitutes Used: Scott Rendell for Gifton Noel-Williams (70 mins), Andy Welsh for Craig Alcock (78 mins), Gavin Tomlin for Paul Warne (86 mins)

Bookings: Terry Skiverton (Dissent, 69)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town were held to a 1-1 draw in the First Round of the FA Cup this afternoon, despite visitors Stockport County playing the last 14 minutes with 10 men. Craig Davies gave the visitors the lead after he scrambled home a loose ball from a free kick just before the half time break. However, Terry Skiverton levelled matters with an angled header from a Paul Warne cross to set up a tense final 30 minutes. Midfielder Stephen Gleeson failed to last the distance - his off the ball fracas with Nathan Jones saw him receive his marching orders, but the Hatters were resolute in defence and playing a man short made little difference to the balance of the game.

The Glovers made three changes to last weekend's winning side with all of them forced. Asmir Begovic's return to Portsmouth ensured that Josh Wagenaar got his fourth game of the season. Stockport were understandably unlikely to allow defender Gareth Owen to play against them, so Terry Skiverton got a recall, whilst Aaron Brown failed a fitness test on a hip problem, meaning that Terrell Forbes got his first start since a red card at Northampton Town saw him suspended.

A strong start for the Glovers saw them largely take control of the game and the territory, even though Stockport proved to be dangerous on the break. Yeovil's best chances came through a Paul Warne header that was comfortably saved, whilst visiting keeper Owain fon Williams produced an outstanding save after Terry Skiverton flicked Craig Alcock's cross back across the face of goal.

Stockport's best chance came when they broke from deep following another Yeovil attack, when Stephen Gleeson broke through the Yeovil defence and looked to be clean through on goal, until a brilliant sliding tackle from Gary Roberts broke the move up in an outstanding piece of defending. Otherwise Josh Wagenaar was largely unused throughout the half, even if Stockport's well organised back line prevented the Glovers from getting too much joy at the other end.

A minute before the break though, Stockport showed why their away form is so good. A slightly dubious foul was given against Craig Alcock, and Tommy Rowe's free kick was knocked down by Johnny Mullins, the Yeovil defence seemed to lose track of the path of the ball, and in the ensuing scramble, Craig Davies poked the ball home from close range to put Stockport ahead with a minute to go before the half time break.

The second period saw Yeovil not start so well, with Stockport clearly setting their stall out for a 1-0 win. That intent was clearly set when an early substitution saw them leave just Davies up front on his own. The Glovers still created chances though, with Gary Roberts firing a shot at Owain fon Williams, whilst Terry Skiverton could have netted when he picked up a loose ball in the box, volleying wide of the post. But it was Skivo who came to Yeovil's rescue when he stayed in the opposition box following a set play. Paul Warne right wing cross on the hour produced an angled header that went across the face of fon Williams and there was little he could do to prevent the equaliser.

The equaliser reemphasised Stockport's determination to keep men behind the ball, often putting every player inside their own penalty box when the Glovers got set pieces. Gary Roberts went the closest for the Glovers, with his shot from the edge of the box being turned around the post by fon Williams. But overall Stockport proved difficult to break down, and despite having a team full of six-foot-plus players, produced an impressive passing game, meaning that both teams struggled to regain possession when they lost it.

With 15 minutes remaining though, Stockport looked to have shot themselves in the foot. Stephen Gleeson got into a tangle with Nathan Jones as Gleeson struggled to create himself room in the box, and 30 yards off the ball he lashed out at Jones in a moment of total stupidity. Referee Grant Hegley did well to spot the incident, and not even Gleeson's team mates were interested in protesting against the inevitable red card.

This unfortunately did little to Stockport's tactics, with them still able to employ a solid 4-4-1 formation. The Glovers did threaten with yet another Skiverton header from a set piece, but in open play they struggled to break down the visitors. Gifton Noel-Williams had an impressive first half, but inevitably faded in the second period as lack of match fitness caught up on him and even a change from the diamond formation to a conventional 4-4-2 failed to unlock the Hatters. Thus a replay will be required, providing the Glovers with their first visit to Edgeley Park several months earlier than they had originally planned.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Stockport County 1.

Scorers: Craig Davies (44 mins, 0-1), Terry Skiverton (60 mins, 1-1)

Yeovil Town: (4-1-2-1-2)
13. Josh Wagenaar
12. Craig Alcock 4. Terry Skiverton 6. Terrell Forbes 3. Nathan Jones
27. Lee Peltier
16. Gary Roberts 8. Darren Way
11. Danny Schofield
14. Paul Warne 25. Gifton Noel-Williams

9. Andrew Welsh (78 mins for Craig Alcock) 10. Gavin Tomlin (86 mins for Paul Warne) 15. Scott Rendell (70 mins for Gifton Noel-Williams) 17. Aidan Downes 18. Keiran Murtagh 28. Nathan Smith 31. Lloyd Irish

Stockport County: (4-4-2)
1. Owain fon Williams
2. Johnny Mullins 15. Michael Raynes 16. James Tunnicliffe 6. Jim McNulty
20. Leon McSweeney 17. Stephen Gleeson 8. Gary Dicker 11. Tommy Rowe
10. Carl Baker 35. Craig Davies

23. Lloyd Rigby (GK) 3. Michael Rose 7. Anthony Pilkington (90 mins for Craig Davies) 9. Peter Thompson 14. Jason Taylor 18. Paul Turnbull (50 mins for Carl Baker) 19. Matty McNeil

Yeovil Bookings: Terry Skiverton (dissent, 69 mins)
Stockport Bookings: Stephen Gleeson (dissent, 73 mins) Michael Raynes (dissent, 90 mins). Red Card: Stephen Gleeson (violent conduct, 76 mins).

Referee: Grant Hegley (Hertfordshire). Assistants: William Bull (Hampshire) and Eric Mackrell (Hampshire). Fourth Official: Richard Martin (Somerset).

Attendance: 3,582 (including approx 200 Stockport fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape